This gold icon can be seen form many areas within the city. The towers are 163 feet tall, and completed in 1935 to connect the west city area to the main part of the city. The silver color was replaced in 1976 due to the glare of the sheen. The four lane bridge was used for traffic of vehicles until about then, but now is only for bikes/pedestrians. Tours can take you through the interior portions of the towers and lift section.
Now it may sound a little odd to have an inland bridge as a thing to do however the Tower Bridge with its recent improvements is a great place to walk across.
The Tower Bridge was built in 1935 to replace the original M Street Bridge of 1910 that was constructed by the Sacramento Northern Railroad across the river. It was built not only to provide better traffic circulation but also to help ensure that businesses and commerce would continue to flourish in the city's Central Business District. The bridge was designed as a vertical lift bridge to give maximum clearance to oncoming boat traffic. Its completion represented the first vertical lift bridge in the California State Highway System even though the engineering on it was not considered state of the art.
In 2001 City residents chose in an election to have the Tower Bridge painted gold from among four color choices. Seven years later the Tower Bridge received substantial pedestrian and bikeway improvements significantly increasing the width of those lanes to cross the bridge.
Today, the Tower Bridge with its wider pedestrian lanes and pop outs to view the Sacramento River is a joy to walk across. From Sacramento the Tower Bridge path connects to the West Sacramento Riverwalk. If you choose to walk the bridge be sure and heed the sirens when the bridge is about to lift. The vertical lift bridge takes about 11 minutes to raise and lower. Fortunately there are not too many lifts during most days for boat traffic.