People, San Diego

Relaxed & entertaining on the pier
  • tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

Great people

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 8, 2013

When I moved to San Diego I spent an entire month trying to figure out where to live. In the process I stopped (as in stopped them on the streets) over 40 people to ask about their neighborhood and EVERY ONE of them took at least 20 minutes out of their day to talk to me. Most even wrote notes for me.

Gotta love the people of San Diego

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

San Diegans Are A Relxed Group!

by lmkluque Updated May 28, 2012

Relaxed & entertaining on the pier

In a general sense, the residents of San Diego are friendly, easy going and often times easy to mix with if you're a tourist on vacation.

This tranquil atmosphere makes San Diego a great vacation choice as well as a place to live. It could be because our weather is "moderate" (rarely too hot and never too cold,) that we can enjoy our own resort style enviornment. At least that is what my friends who come from colder or hotter climes tell me.

It is true that most of the people living in San Diego take full advantage of what it has to offer and can feel as if they are on vacation almost any week of the year. We tend not to resent tourists, as some communities do. Probably because we are so globally diverse, that we can't tell a tourist from a resident anyway.

Of course, this doesn't mean that a visitor has never had a bad experience here, but the fact is that it is unusual to hear a tourist here complain, except, maybe, when it's time to leave.

Relaxing in the warm San Diego sun in January, even the Sea Lions love to bask in the sun while vacationing in San Diego!

• School Holidays

• MeowFoolery's Profile Photo

San Diegans take pride in their city!

by MeowFoolery Updated Dec 21, 2007

San Diegans KNOW how beautiful San Diego is and they take pride when they run into tourists. San Diegans are friendly and generally will assist out-of-towners with direcctions, restaurant suggestions, etc. They are a laid-back, pretty happy bunch. I'd say the nice weather brings it out in them! Like anywhere, you won't get any love if you are rude/stuck-up, or litter their beautiful town!

• A ANTI-TOURIST CITY?

by pszman Written Jun 25, 2006

YES SAN DIEGO IS!I LIVE HERE AND I HATE IT WHEN YOU PEOPLE LOOK 100% TOURIST.IM NOT THE ONLY 1
    EVERYDAY IN DTWN THERE IS A CLASH BETWEEN A LOCAL AND A TOURIST.IF YOU GO TO THE GHETTOS OF SD PREPARE FOR SOME BAD THINGS UNLESS YOU FIT IN.JUST BE ALERT AND DONT MAKE IT TO OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE A TOURIST.NOTE::TAKING PICKTURES OF TREES BUILDINGS AND SAYING YOU ARE A TOURST AGGRAVETS LOCALS

• Aimdogg's Profile Photo

If you're gay........

by Aimdogg Updated Mar 29, 2004

THE place to go for shopping, dining, and nightlife is the Hillcrest area of SD. Specifically University Avenue. If you like a gay male meat market, then Hamburger Mary's on University is not to be missed. Even if you are staight, this neighborhood is so diverse and fun!!

• Gay and Lesbian

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Do they use cell phones in San Diego?

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 1, 2003

At Plaza de Panama, Balboa Park

Yes, they do. But maybe at least a little not so often than in many European countries - am I wrong?
    Anyway, it's no wonder, they have (less expensive) public phones everywhere (maybe except residential areas).

Are you inspired?

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 1, 2003

BUSY PAINTING

I met this painter just by the Lake of the Flowers in Balboa Park.
    He looked Spanish/Mexican and was busy painting Spanish architecture, talking with somebody by a cell phone but despite this he said hello to us at the same time :-).

Btw do you like his picture? Hmm...

VT friendly city - THANK YOU LINDA

by matcrazy1 Updated May 28, 2003

Linda and Ursula at LAX - just after arrival!

I never forget VT-ers from San Diego I met.

First of all a very, very nice VT-er Linda (lmkluque) who picked us up from Los Angeles Airport (hmm... what we would do if not?) , gave us a lot of very helpful suggestions/advices, showed us around San Diego and not only, picked us up with her car to our welcoming VT meeting in Oceanside (GREAT!!!), helped us to find a car to rent, showed us what is really good food :-) and many, many more.
    BIG THANK YOU Linda and... welcome to Poland.

I met Vicki (expresso) from San Diego on 12th April in Oceanside VT meeting - wow, we were crazy talking a lot, I hope to meet her again here or there now :-).

• acemj's Profile Photo

Get fit

by acemj Written Aug 25, 2002

San Diego is a wonderfully relaxed place. People are really into fitness, but not in a phony way like in Los Angeles (sorry, LA). There's just a cultural emphasis on good health. You'll notice it when you go to the beach and when you look at a menu.
    Like everywhere in SoCal, no smoking in public buildings.

• Almost everyone in San Diego...

by JsusFreak Written Aug 24, 2002

Almost everyone in San Diego is polite and helpful. Since San Diego is 30 miles away from Tijuana, Mexico, you will find people from Mexico here and they are very polite and nice.

Above all, San Diego is generally a 'laid-back' sort of city.

Instant Answers: San Diego