Dick's Last Resort, San Diego

345 Fifth Avenue, Gaslamp Quarter (619) 231-9100

Know about this? Rate It!

• Dick's Last Resort
    by Gypsystravels
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Dick's Last Resort: Dick's Last Resort. In the Gaslamp Quarter

by lmkluque Updated Dec 18, 2013

For years I have heard of "Dick's Last Resort" but had never been there, nor had I ever noticed it. Influencial people in San Diego refer to it frequently, radio talk shows have even been broadcast from it and I thought it would be a great place to add to my SD page.

I was shocked.

So many pretty places in the Gaslamp Quarter and this is where all those influencial people go? Well, I had to try it, to see for myself why anyone would go to this, this, this, place.

How can I describe it? The patio dining was a large section of blacktop with tables everywhere. The inside had so many napkins on the floor (napkin dropping is encouraged by management) there was barely room to walk to the restrooms.

We ordered. Everything comes in buckets!!!

The food servers yell from one side of the place to the other and if you discretely get your server's attention--for any reason--she will yell at you, "Yeah? What do you want now? Can't you see I'm busy?" She doesn't care if you're sensitive, a VIP or even from another country, everyone is treated rudely equally.

Honestly, this is not my kind of place, but I could see that it was great fun. No pretension, just a rollicking good time to be had by all! It was interesting how customers--who didn't know each others--tended to slip into conversations with others at a neighboring table, like talking over the fence in a neighborhood.

At night, there is a live band with dancing and no one under twenty-one is admitted, unless accommpanied by a parent and are only coming to eat dinner.

Dress Code: I think the dress code is: "Wear clothes."

Probably that is only because not wearing clothes is illegal in San Diegol, otherwise, I think they wouldn't care.

• Music
    • Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Dick's Last Resort: A quick drink before dinner

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

Enjoying a drink before dinner

Ferni wanted to come in and check this place out so we decided to have a drink here before heading out to dinner. The bar/restaurant is a funky place, with a "nutty" bartender that decides to make these silly hats and just plants them on you...it's all in fun!!

The place is huge, with bench like tables everywhere. As you enter there is a small display of t-shirts and other "Dick's Resort" items. The bar is to your right. This place reminded me of a "rodeo-style steak house". We find two empty seats at the bar and place our order. I had a frozen margarita, Ferni had a pina colada. The bartender was funny, making jokes, running around making paper hats and placing them on all the patrons. She made a few for us, which we wore, snapped a pic and quickly took off. She even roused a few couples who didn't want to wear the hats....we were laughing and joking when a women approached me and asked me if I was with "him" meaning Ferni...I told her yes and she continued to ask me if I was with anyone...hmmmm...she then told me that she and her husband were looking to have fun and someplace to dance if we wanted to join them :( Heck no!! People are so out there sometimes...

Ferni and I laughed it off and said to ourselves that they were "swingers" looking to score with a "good looking couple, lol"

We quickly made our way out of there and headed to another bar.....thankfully they didn't follow us.

Dress Code: Casual

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• LindseyRAE's Profile Photo

Dick's Last Resort: great for a laugh!

by LindseyRAE Written Dec 1, 2005

their logo

Originally i fgund dick's while i was in Texas visiting my sister. They talk to you like you are stupid, they treat you like ***, and its all in fun! the whole point of the resruant is to have fun and play around.

My server was making fun of me because i drank my tea too quickly so she brought me a pitcher of it, and a straw. JUST to spite her i drank the whole thing and she announced me as champion fat-ass! (Im skinny) its fun!

WARNING: Be prepared, they are JUST KIDDING. Laugh.

Dress Code: you can dress from touristy to black tie, but they'll make fun of the mokey suit!

• Dick's Last Resort, Buffalo...

by three11angel Written Aug 24, 2002

Dick's Last Resort, Buffalo Joe's, and there are tons of others in the area. The main strip is pretty much full of clubs, bars and resturants.

Dress Code: They do n't have a set dress code. Dick's is more casual, Buffalo Joe's tends to attract the younger and more hip crowd. Saturday night at Buffalo Joe's is disco night!

• My all time favorite is Dick's...

by KristinaLMF Written Aug 24, 2002

My all time favorite is Dick's Last Resort.
    Dick's is a great place to start the evening. They serve lunch and dinner food with a crazy menu, but are famous for their buckets of fries or chicken legs. There is patio seating as well as a great bar inside that live bands play at. But before going to Dick's you have to be warned of the service....hence the name. The waiters will slam your food and drinks on the tables, yell at everyone and be somewhat rude, but its all part of the environment so don't take it personally. Dick's serves big beers with souvenir glasses, great cocktails, there is lots of noise, big screen TVs, and big picnic tables. Watch out for flying napkins. Everyone throws rolled up napkins at each other. It sounds odd, but it is super fun. I love this place.

Dress Code: Dick's is more casual than most places Down Town, but like I said this is a great starting point so dress for later.

Instant Answers: San Diego