Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

Know about this? Rate It!

Typical scene in the Gaslamp Quarter

GASLAMP DISTRICT
    Par Example:
    (HARD ROCK CAFE)
    GASLAMP DISTRICT
    late night dancing, resident artists and micro breweries all contribute to the festive spirit of the area.
    Shops and galleries of every variety are
    scattered throughout the 21 block district.
    Plan to spend the day, or spend the night......but plan to come back often!

Tour the Gaslamp Quarter district: photos, maps and information about clubs, shops and restaurants.

• leongarf's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Quarter: Party Time

by leongarf Written Mar 15, 2006

Just take a taxi, trolley, or walk (if staying downtown) and go to the Gaslamp area. There are bars and clubs everywhere. Some of my favorites were Maloney's, Side Bar, and The Bitter End.

Dress Code: No flip flops or t-shirts at most of the nicer places.

• Beer Tasting

• San_Diego's Profile Photo

4th & B, good national acts. ...

by San_Diego Written Aug 26, 2002

4th & B, good national acts. The Belly Up, awesome sound quality, good artwork and large dance floor. Oh, and if you have a dinghy, paddle up to Humphrey's by the Bay to catch a free live act...I saw Johnny lang awile back, almost sunk the boat with the rocking!
    The music comes first.

Dress Code: Dude, it's Cali, dress casual

• SDSU2001's Profile Photo

Sevillia one of the hottest...

by SDSU2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

Sevillia one of the hottest places to be when you wan't to just let it all out, all the studying can wait at least for one night a week! There is always music playing and people meeting each other! So Do not miss the experience that is Sevilla!
    The Atmosphere is really caliente being it is a very Latin Oriented theme but anyone can go, just remember anyone who is under 21 years old must show thier ID'S but thier are great deals during the week for young adults under the age of 21!

Dress Code: Sevillia Is a Latin Theme Club so come one and come all, but dress to impress! Ladies and gentlemen there are dance lessons every night so look your best and be your best and show off your moves in a groove that will attract many guys or girls, and even make some friends in the process!

• mlewis234's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Quarter, Downtown San...

by mlewis234 Written Aug 25, 2002

Gaslamp Quarter, Downtown San Diego. If San Diego has a night scene, this is where to find it. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to suit everyone. Stroll down 4th and 5th avenues until you find what you're looking for.
    The Gaslamp Quarter contains sidwalk cafes and open air restaurants, jazz clubs, late night dancing, and micro breweries.

Dress Code: Casual to dressy. Some bars do not allow jeans.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Gaslamp Quarter!: Nightlife?

by lmkluque Updated Nov 28, 2013

Sixteen blocks in downtown San Diego west from Fourth Avenue east to Sixth Avenue and north Broadway, south to Harbor Drive, has been renovated and designated as a tribute to the past and the present.

This historical section is the original (2nd) downtown San Diego created after the 1872 fire that destroyed SD's original town, what is now known as Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. The buildings in this area of downtown have been restored/refurbished to reflect the original graceful architecture.

Instead of being content to present this as a type of capsulized museum, every space has been utilized to attract residents and tourist alike. It has been a wonderful success and every day and night of the week, there is something offered/going on for almost anyone's tastes.

The Gaslamp Quarter comes alive at night and if you are looking for crowds of people in a party mood, you'll hit the jackpot in the Gaslamp.

As with most places, the Gaslamp has it's "hottest spots" which change from time to time, but the variety of music style--sedate piano bar to raging rock bands, entertainment type--live theater to Hooters and dress code--from formal to grunge, means that there is a place to attract almost everyone.

Many places in the Gaslamp Quarter have no cover-charge, however some do, so be prepared.

Now, if you're looking for that Cool Jazz & Blues sound we have it here too.

I like Croce's.

This was opened by Ingrid Croce after her husband, Jim Croce died. She's a hands on owner and an active member of the Gaslamp community so you might see her around the place while you're there.

Update:

As of January 2014 Croce's will no longer be the Heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. Look for Ingrid and Croce's Restraurant & Jazz Bar in their new location at Bunker Hill.

Each year some of the old places close, some move nearer or farther and some open their doors for the first time. Whatever the situation is during your visit, you can count on having a good time in San Diego's vibrant Gaslamp Quarter.

In recent times most of the restaurants, bars and nightclubs have been offering extended Happy Hours, and even better deals each day of the week to entice you to choose their establishment.

I tend to go to the Gaslamp Quarter during week nights to avoid the "full-frenzy-fiesta," that happens on the weekends. Still, early or mid week the vibe is still "festive, fun and fast.

Dress Code: Most places accept the "come as you are" look, but the "locals" usually dress up for the evening and some of the hottest spots will not let you in if you are not dressed properly. Some places will not even allow tennis shoes. I suggest calling the various establishments to ask if they actually do have a "dress code."

• Music

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

San Diego Gaslamp Quarter!: Romantic night out

by Travel2write Updated Jun 14, 2007

Gaslamp

If wanting that nice romantic night out, or if looking for the nightlife of clubs and many pubs.
    ---------------------
    The Gaslamp Quarter is Southern California's premier dining, shopping and entertainment district, where you'll find a truly eclectic blend of food, fun and culture -- all within one of San Diego's most historic areas. Stroll past the district's grand, historic buildings restored to their original character. A place where you can see charming Victorian-style buildings constructed between 1880 and 1910.

Dress Code: Dress nice!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Head to the Gaslamp Quarter!

by acemj Updated Jan 17, 2006

Right in the middle of downtown you'll find a gorgeous area (about 10 square blocks or so and growing) of great restaurants and clubs. You can hear live music, dance, grab a cold one.
    On the weekends the place is jumpin'!
    Those lucky enough to live down here will be hanging out of their windows letting in the ocean air.
    Locals will simply refer to this National Historic District as 'the Gaslamp.'

Dress Code: Relax, it's San Diego.

• fabrice's Profile Photo

5th avenue downtown;an...

by fabrice Written Aug 24, 2002

5th avenue downtown;an incredible atmosphere at night,you have the choice between all the discotheques or bars;and of course the strange open air downtown mall(picture)where I spent many hours every day
    in this area you can feel safer than on the beach area,which has a rough atmosphere at night

• I'm not into nightlife but...

by JsusFreak Written Aug 24, 2002

I'm not into nightlife but there is a lot of stuff to do in the Gaslamp Quarter.
    In the Gaslamp, there are a MESS of clubs and fine restaurants.

Dress Code: Dress code ranges.....If you're going to Dick's Last Resort, anything goes (I've never been there but I heard from people who have been there) and if you're going to the Old Spaghetti Factory, dress nicely as if you were going to church but it's perfectly fine to wear casual attire.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

We went to Planet Hollywood...

by paulapes Written Aug 24, 2002

We went to Planet Hollywood one night...which was okay, but no big deal. It was just fun walking around the Gaslight/historical district checking out the people and the sights. We had a few 'work' things to do most nights!

• My second Favorite place Down...

by KristinaLMF Written Aug 24, 2002

My second Favorite place Down Town is Buffalo Joe's. I love it!!!
    Buffalo Joe's is located on a corner and has windows all the way around so you can watch the action from the street (while you wait in line). A mix of bands plays to whatever's the trend of the moment. They have had swing dancing, retro '80s, but my personal favorite is Saturday night....'70s night...featuring the DISCO PIMPS. They rock. You will have the time of your life. Be prepred this place gets crowded.

• klj&a's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Quarter: Cesar's Cigar Lounge

by klj&a Written Sep 1, 2007

This area was not like this when I lasted visited. It reminds me of South Beach in Miami or New Orleans. Tons of people going to clubs and restaurants. My favorite place to hang out was Cesar's Cigar Lounge. They didn't have a huge selection of cigars, but I love the fact that they even have a cigar lounge. There is no such place in Seattle, where we live. I love a good cigar and the weather and the patio were perfect for people watching.

• JojelavaVT's Profile Photo

Thin Bar: Not So Impressed

by JojelavaVT Written Dec 28, 2007

I had heard a few things about Onyx's new sister lounge-- THIN-- a few times, usually the same thing...its a great place to meet people, cheap drinks, awesome dance floor. Although I agree the drinks were cheap and there was a dance floor I will not agree that the people frequenting this place are really worth meeting. It may sound harsh, but this bar is so "ultra hip and chic" that I could hardly stand it. For starters the bar was almost empty when they let me and my ladies in, but refused to let our guy friends in. Instead they had to sit in a line which really had no reason to be there, since when I stepped in side I was basically hanging out with the bartenders. The vibe is pretty cool. Bright lights shining through huge art deco glass paintings, and the lounge part of the place wasnt all that bad, as there were all sorts of cushions, chairs and couches to play around on...but honestly this place doesnt live up to its buzz. The bouncers are over ancy and ready to beat you up at the first sign of trouble. The bathrooms have a unisex washroom which makes for some uncomfortable drunken moments, and even more uncomfortable moments for the three people standing there waiting to hand your paper towels... I mean come on. The music decisions were nothing to get excited over, and the dance floor (although large) had few people dancing on it, but instead was full of women trying to trying to balance on their stripper heels and men scouting out those that are most likely to be underagers. Its a wierd scene, and def too uptight and chi-chi for my liking. Maybe Ill give it another try some night, but definitely no night soon.

Dress Code: Very dressy. Almost every lady had on her shortest dress, highest heels, and lots of make up. For guys it looks like everything goes, but I would atleast throw on some nice shoes, and a button up for this place. Also there was a bit of funkiness going on, so feel free to take a chance on your outfit that night with a hat, crazy bag, bright colors, whatever.

• Greystone Steakhouse: Expensive Fare, Horrible Service!

by HelloMyKitty Written Mar 9, 2009

FURIOUS, RAGE, ANGER, PISSED-OFF are words that come into my mind when I think of this establishment. If you plan on dining at this restaurant, I advise you to read the detailed account of my experience this past Saturday night.

Me and my boyfriend were in San Diego for the weekend celebrating my birthday. Our hotel was near the Gaslamp District so we decided to have dinner on 5th St. Saturday night. After multiple menu perusing, we decided on Greystone because the menu looked appetizing and the hostess delivered her best persuasive speaking abilities - convincing us that this place had the best food and ambiance compared to others, by far. We decided on sitting at a somewhat cozy and private table, that was near the open kitchen. Our original server seemed friendly even though he had a bit of a sarcastic humor that I was able to laugh/brush off. We ordered two entrees, a side dish, and a bottle of wine that came in a timely manner. As I was taking pictures of our entrees for the purpose of posting it on Yelp, I overheard another server commenting to the prep cook (I guess the guy that puts the finishing touches on each plate) on how he thinks it's "retarded" for people to be so fascinated with their food that they have to take pictures of it. Shortly after this, another server came to our table and refilled our wine glasses. We said "thank you" and didn't get an acknowledgment in return. At this point, we assumed that our first server must have finished his shift and another one was filling in for him. It would have been courteous if our first server actually introduced us to our new server and gave us his reasons for leaving. I mean, you get better service at the local Chili's/TGIF at this point. When we were done with our meal and the check came (brought to us by a third server), me and my boyfriend agree that since we had mediocre service, the tip should only be 10%. The third server picked up the check and as he was walking away, looked at the bill and said clearly "what a douche bag." I know I don't have super human abilities where my hearing is as great as a bat's so I'm just thinking that these servers are very poorly trained and are just utterly bitter about their job in order to blatantly not care about whether their patrons can hear them or not. So after he walks away from us, he goes to the manager (he's in a suit so we're assuming he's in charge) and says something about what a douche my boyfriend is. I didn't hear the rest but "douche" was definitely part of that conversation. As we were leaving, my boyfriend gets a hold of the manager and tells him about how disatisfied we are with the service and what we've been overhearing the rude comments made by the servers. The manager insists on being unaware about any of this and apologizes, although it sounded very insincere.

THE WORST PART ABOUT THIS STORY IS: when my boyfriend decided to call AMEX to cancel the tip on the bill, he learned that instead of being charged 10% for the tip, they changed it to 20%. This means that either the server/manager adjusted the tip on their own free will! I don't know what laws they abide by but this is illegal here. And when the hell was tip mandatory? People here tend to think that getting a tip is an entitlement and that it is no longer earned. The sad part is, the food was actually good...too bad Greystone employs a bunch of rude, conniving sons of ***es! Now, we have to wait for the charge to be posted before we can dispute it with the restaurant/AMEX. Luckily, this horrible dining experience did not ruin our lovely weekend together in SD.

Dress Code: None