Nightclubs and bars in San Diego

• Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night away!
    Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night...
    by Sprogley

Most Viewed Nightlife in San Diego

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Martini Bar: Great Ice Bar & Martinis

by cjg1 Updated Dec 11, 2014

The Martini Bar was one of our favorite Bars on the Celebrity Century. They had a nice Ice bar that was the central attraction as well as tons of seating throughout. This was our favorite place for a pre-dinner drink. The menu has the typical, beer, wine and mixed drinks but the speciality here is their Martinis. My wife and I sampled many of them throughout our fifteen night cruise and our favorites were the Margarita Martini and the Lemon Drop Martini. Service here was great and the bartenders did thier best to keep everyone entertained with their bartending skills and tricks.

My wife enjoying the evening Enjoying our evening The bar Lemon Drop Martini Pre-dinner drinks

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Grand Lobby Bar: Good Drinks and Atmosphere

by cjg1 Updated Dec 11, 2014

My wife and I stopped here at the Grand Lobby Bar in the Grand Hyatt for some afternoon drinks. The hotel is absolutely beautiful; definitely should have stayed here instead of that dump of a hotel the Hilton Gaslamp, next time we will. The Grand Lobby Bar is exactly that; "Grand". All around the bar area is mahogany wood, period furnishings and art, Italian Marble and beautiful flower arrangements. I was very impressed by the look and vibe of the place and so was my wife.

We chose to have a seat at the bar for our drinks. The bartender was very friendly and came from a town not too far away from where I grew up in upstate NY. After perusing the drink and food menu I decided to just have a Miller Lite. The food offerings looked good but we just had a late lunch and were still stuffed. My wife decided to have a club soda with lime as she was still feeling good after a large Margarita from lunch.

We had a really good time here just people watching, talking to the bartender and discussing our cruise that we were sailing on the following day. This was a nice place and I'd definitely come back even if I wasn't a guest at the hotel.

**The bartender provided my wife with a to-go cup with a refill of her club soda with lime. This was perfect for our walk back to the Hilton as it was still very hot outside and a beverage helped keep us hydrated.**

Dress Code: Casual

Liz and I enjoying the bar

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Downtown: Karl Strauss Brewery and Grill

by goodfish Written Jan 20, 2014

Although I won’t classify my DH and I as any kind of experts in the fine art of beer, we both really enjoy sampling the wares of craft breweries wherever we go - in part because they’re not the sorts of places 21 year-old rookies go just to get obnoxiously hammered. The clientele leans towards the more mature, very pleasant “elbow mate", and tap-room staffs have little tolerance for “children” who haven’t yet learned their limits so unruly sorts are usually cut off and ejected in short order.

Karl Strauss Brewing's downtown location was just two blocks from our hotel so a stop-by was mandatory. Nice place: clean; tidy; friendly bartenders who knew their brews; happy hour (Monday - Friday) specials on pints and flights; a dozen or so varieties to choose from. The Husband is almost strictly an IPA guy and while he was OK with those he sampled over our couple of visits here, he preferred one at Coronado Brewing. I stuck with Wreck Alley Imperial Stout; really good. Can't make up your mind? They’ll cheerfully provide samples, or you can order up a flight.

Our one mistake was not staying for dinner ‘cause the food is seeing very positive ratings on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc., and they’re said to do a great job suggesting beer pairings to compliment your entree.

See the website for what’s currently on tap, hours, menu, happy hour, etc.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Quarter: Tivoli Bar

by goodfish Updated Jan 19, 2014

Tivoli, spelled backwards, is i-lov-it. Yes, we absolutely did.

The oldest bar in San Diego has anchored this corner of the Gaslamp district since 1885 when the neighborhood was known as the Stingaree; a gritty, bawdy den of iniquity where vices of every sort were enjoyed with cheerful impunity. Saloons, gambling halls, bordellos, opium haunts… everything a sailor (and some of the city’s more illustrious gentlemen) fresh into port could want. Legendary lawman, Wyatt Earp, owned four establishments here, and is rumored to have bellied up to the gilt-embellished bar which has been serving up libations for 130 years - as evidenced by a grainy, turn-of-the-century photo enshrined on a wall by the pool table.

Yep, liquor and card games downstairs and a brothel above, this was one wild place. Land in here on game day when the Padres are playing and it’s STILL a wild place: this is a favorite with local sports fans and employees of the Gaslamp’s other bars and restaurants. Cheap, good burgers and hotdogs, looooong happy hours and lots of specials accommodate even a backpacker’s budget (there are several hostels within a couple of blocks), and it’s known for “honest pour” drinks by some of the friendliest bartenders in town.

Casual; comfortably worn around the edges; sidewalk terrace; decent beer list. Highly recommended.

If you’re interested in more about the the Stingaree, you can read about it here (my thanks to Elizabeth C. Macphail and the Journal of San Diego History):

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Whiskey Girl: A Sports Bar with a Dance Floor.

by lmkluque Updated Dec 18, 2013

The Reading Movie Theater is just across the street from Whiskey Girl. The movie I went to see, let out late, so as I walked outside, I was able to get a different take on Whiskey Girl than the impression I've gotten during the day.

During the day it seemed just to be a popular sports bar. You know, jocks drinking and watching the Games, with or without their gals.

Well, at night it has a very different vibe. It's edgy, hip and not really sporty. They have a "Cover Charge" and they are vigilant checking ID's. No fake ID's are accepted.

Happy Hour is 3 pm to 7 pm so, if you're on a budget but want to check it out this is the best time. However, it is later in the evening when it starts heating up.

Dress Code: They definitely do have a dress code so check their website to see what is not allowed. In general I'd say dress your best.

Check their, Dress Codes and Policies Page

Basically they want well dressed, well behaved customers looking to have a good time and no problems/aggressive attitudes.

700 block of Fifth Avenue

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Henry's Pub @ The Gaslamp Quarter: Dining, Drinking, Dancing!

by lmkluque Updated Nov 17, 2013

I was there just last Tuesday night (11/12/13) and it was the most lively of the places in this block of Fifth Avenue.

I physically can not dance any more but their "Swing Dance Tuesdays" is great for an old lady like me, just to listen to. Most of the places in the Gaslamp Quarter charge "Downtown" higher prices, but they don't exclude us poor people, they offer all sorts of discounts by hour and by day. Henry's Pub is no different.

Henry's also offers an interesting "Parings" menu. I don't know if it was inspired by Beer Week or not. The Mini crunchy tacos was actually complemented by their Bloody Gary, a gin-based Bloody Mary. I have to say that I still prefer Vodka Bloody Mary's and Gin Martinis.

Take a look at their website to see what each day offers or just go and be surprised.

Dress Code: The standard advise. If your goal is to dance and meet new people, dress your best for clubbing. Casual is good enough just having a meal or a drink.

Jimmy Love's: Good for Late Night

by lmkluque Updated Nov 17, 2013

This is on the north corner of a whole line of restaurants/bars/dancing clubs. Pub Crawling on this block is a blast!

Jimmy's is a good place to stop for a meal and enjoy the music and it's not too expensive, especially for the Gaslamp Quarter. Late night, dining, drinking and dancing is offered here. So it's up to you. I've not seen it late at night but hear that it is a fun place to be.

I can't dance so just had a meal here in the late afternoon on the "patio," which is actually a fenced section of the sidewalk. The dining room was darkish in a romantic way. I've had Fish & Chips and the Cobb Salad. Both were well made and tasty. The service was nice and friendly.

Dress Code: It really depends on your reason for going there. "Your own casual style" is okay if you just want a meal or a drink. If dancing and meeting people are your goals than I suggest that you dress Trendy/Stylishly Casual for a better chance of success.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Street life: Normal Heights

by Agraichen Updated Sep 6, 2013

Wandering the streets of the Normal Heights section of San Diego I found a location on Adams Ave that had a number of food trucks serving their wares and a band playing for the "crowd."

Chicken Bone Slim & The Biscuits is a four piece Blues group that plays a number of venues in the area. I'd go back to this area just to listen to them.

Dress Code: Anything goes.

FLUXX: FLUXX. In the Gaslamp Quarter

by lmkluque Updated Feb 13, 2013

Backstage At Aubergine offered dinner and the popular play, "Forever Plaid" for many years and now the play has moved on. At the moment the theater is dark.

However, Aubergine offers more than theater and you might find the charming dining room, the hip bar or the very casual café worth a visit.

At Abergine the focus has always been on the food and with a 1940's, Boggy & Bacall feeling created by the talented piano player during the week or the hot sounds of jazz on the weekends, you will surely have a wonderful evening.

Update:

Backstage at Aubergine and Augergine, the restaurant and club is now CLOSED!

In it's place you'll find not only a new establishment, but a really different type of restaurant, entertainment venue and a Hot nightclub, which has been awarded Best Nightclub in the Nation!

Of course an old lady like me hasn't actually been here, but my ears work and I've heard many interesting and exciting things about this place. In fact, I'd expect this to be in New York or L.A. but it's in San Diego!

If nothing else it's Hot, Trendy, Different, Exciting, and Successful! So if that sounds good to you, check it out. Seems that FLUXX is shaking up the Gaslamp Quarter and people are taking notice. As with most Clubs like this one it is expensive, but lots of people really like it.

FYI:

There is no Cover Charge if you come for dinner, but it will be added to your bill if you want to stay after.

I'll get a new photo soon.

I went to get the photo and was a bit surprised that I almost missed it! Very understated. In fact I'd wondered if it had closed it's doors already. A simple and not large sign on the awning identifies it as FLUXX, nothing else to indicate that this is an ever changing elegant and playful place to party. The backstage door had the only colorful pop, to compliment the venue inside, on it's sign asking that those around the door to please be quiet.

Dress Code: Dress your trendy best and feel comfortable. This is one of those places that the door man has the final word on letting you in or not. On their website they list unacceptable attire.

Don't be surprised if you bump into to someone really famous here so be sure to look really good if you want to get in.

Heads Up:

I've heard that celebrities come here, but I sort of thought it was mostly those, who's stars have dimmed in recent years.

However, last night on TMZ, they mentioned that Ashton Kutcher spent his anniversity at FLUXX in San Diego, while Demi was in NYC. So, I guess even the hottest stars come down from LA to party here too. Also they come to perform as well.

No Longer Playing Here. Back Stage door
    • Theater Travel

Mad House Comedy Club & Restaurant: Mad House Comedy Club & Restaurant

by lmkluque Updated Feb 13, 2013

I haven't been here yet but will tell you what I know so far and will give my opinion once I've stopped here.

They are open seven nights a week and offer two shows, at 8:00 pm and 10:30 pm so. they open for seating at 7:00 pm/10:00 pm. There normally isn't a cover charge nor a 2-drink minimum, which is unusual for such a club.

You do have to have tickets for a show and can get them on-line from their website or by calling their number. It seems that a ticket can cost anywhere between $0.00 to $20.00 depending on the talent/night of the week. Since you have to be 21 years to enter, keep in mind that anyone under 21 will not be allowed in.

However, though their menu isn't what I'd call fine dining, it does seem appropriate for the venue with enough variety to offer something to everyone in your party if you choose the Dinner Show.

Smoking is allowed on their patio, but I don't know if you can still see the show while out there.

Dress Code: Casual dress will be accepted, but you might want to dress up a bit to make a special night of it.

They Now Have a Full Service Bar

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Deja Vu: Good Place to Lose Your Money

by Basaic Written Feb 12, 2013

If your idea of nightlife is paying a large amount of money ($10 for about 3 minutes) for a partially clad woman to dance for you then you can go to the Déjà Vu Showbar. There was a shortage of places to get a drink near my hotel on Rosencranz. Personally I would prefer a quieter place.

Dress Code: In a strip club??

Deja Vu Showbar

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Nicky Rotten's: Nice friendly place for drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

On our first night in San Diego we decided to take a walk and just find a place to grab some drinks and food. There are so many places along 5th but we decided to stop here at the recommendation of the attendant at the front desk of our hotel.

The place is quite nice with large dark wooden walls and a large bar as you walk in. There are your typical bar tables and an upstairs dining area as well. It's the type of decor I think of when I think of a pub/bar. We entered and decided to have a seat at the bar. We were hungry, but at this time the kitchen had just closed so we only ordered a drink. The bar is full of tv's and seems to be a good place to watch your favorite team playing. We decided then that we would come back to catch our Knicks playing the next day, but we found ourselves somewhere else that night.

I ordered the Blue Moon and Ferni a soda. The waiter was very nice and started chatting with us. He was a Brooklyn transplant :) We talked about the unseanably cold weather that San Diego was experiencing, about the Knicks and about San Diego in general. After I was done with our drink we set out to find a place to have something to eat since we were both quite hungry.

Dress Code: It's a casual pub/bar atmosphere with a friendly bartender.

The bar Enjoying a Blue Moon
    • Wine Tasting

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Analog Bar: Good Food and Strong Drinks

by BLewJay Written Feb 17, 2012

We were looking for a place to relax and unwind before heading off to dinner, so while walking in the Gaslamp District, we found Analog. A nice, hip place with excellent food and "strong" drinks. As an appetizer, we ordered Hummus & Pita as well as the BBQ Pork "Bahn Mi" Street Tacos.

Dress Code: Casual to hip

BBQ Pork Randy and his beer The very strong drinks Hummus & Pita

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Red Fox Room!: Straight Out Of The Fifties!!

by lmkluque Updated Sep 25, 2011

This is a blast from the past, if you know what I mean. The Red Fox Room is connected to Red Fox Steak House, which is connected to the Lafayette Hotel & Suites San Diego. It is located on El Cajon Boulevard in North Park and has been around for over fifty years!

I started coming here over twenty years ago when I worked for EF Foundation. My boss and I would stop for dinner, as a way to wind-down and relax from the hectic days just before a group would arrive. The funny thing is that we wouldn't leave until well past one in the morning!

After a delicious steak and lobster dinner we'd move over in to the bar--a piano lounge--and take a booth until two of the seats around the piano became available. My boss loved to sing along , but I was just the audience. The age range at this dimly lit lounge was 21-91!! There were songs for everyone and everyone had a good time.

This is how it would work. Each person around the piano--except me--would have a turn singing their songs while the pianist played. Most of the clientele happened to be "regulars" but everyone, including a stranger was accepted and made to feel welcomed.

Later in the evening a bright, beautiful and talented group would show up and show off! Young actors from the local theaters around town stopped in for a night-cap and wowed us with their really great voices.

It was a wonderful chance to get to know the talent in the SD Theater world.

This is a bit off the tourist's path but worth a trip over if you like this sort of thing. I love the friendliness and the atmostphere, not to mention the excellent drinks.

Dress Code: Dress nicely. Nothing too fancy.

As you can imagine the age range, the styles ran from really old fashion to pretty trendy.

The Red Fox Room

San Diego Zoo: Summer Nights

by lmkluque Updated Sep 25, 2011

During the summer months the San Diego Zoo is opened for night time touring. The gates actually close at 9 pm, but you can stay until 10 pm. (The rest of the year the gates close at 4pm and you can stay until 5 or 6pm.)

Summer Nights at the Zoo offer a few extras that add even more fun to the zoo experience. There are many nocturnal animals at the zoo and during a night time visit, those animals are out, interacting in a way never seen during the day. It's quite revealing to see some of these animals in action and sometimes even exciting. As a frequent visitor I can say that this aspect changes the ambiance enough to be impressive.

Several skits are put on throughout the zoo as well as a very funny intereactive comedy, "Going Ape!" Hoola Hoop contests engage kids and adults alike and one of the most interesting offerings are the living statues. This particular statue, pictured here, standing in a fountain, moved to lovely music and surprised many who weren't aware she was alive.

Keep in mind that every year the entertainment changes, but still the offerings are fun and interesting so you shouldn't be disappointed at all.

Dress Code: To spend time in the Nighttime Zoo, be sure to wear good walking shoes and bring a sweater or jacket as the evenings can get much cooler than it is during the day.

Her movements mesmerized the crowds!
    • Photography

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

San Diego Nightlife

lmkluque's Profile Photo
What do you mean when you ask about "Nightlife?" No matter the answer, San Diego offers it all!
Map of San Diego