Nightclubs and bars in San Diego

• Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night away!
    Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night...
    by Sprogley
    Dead Man's Party (5/06)
    by Phalaenopsis03
    Gaslamp during Mardi Gras '06
    by Phalaenopsis03

Most Viewed Nightlife in San Diego

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Whiskey Girl: A Sports Bar with a Dance Floor.

by lmkluque Updated Dec 18, 2013

The Reading Movie Theater is just across the street from Whiskey Girl. The movie I went to see, let out late, so as I walked outside, I was able to get a different take on Whiskey Girl than the impression I've gotten during the day.

During the day it seemed just to be a popular sports bar. You know, jocks drinking and watching the Games, with or without their gals.

Well, at night it has a very different vibe. It's edgy, hip and not really sporty. They have a "Cover Charge" and they are vigilant checking ID's. No fake ID's are accepted.

Happy Hour is 3 pm to 7 pm so, if you're on a budget but want to check it out this is the best time. However, it is later in the evening when it starts heating up.

Dress Code: They definitely do have a dress code so check their website to see what is not allowed. In general I'd say dress your best.

Check their, Dress Codes and Policies Page

Basically they want well dressed, well behaved customers looking to have a good time and no problems/aggressive attitudes.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Henry's Pub @ The Gaslamp Quarter: Dining, Drinking, Dancing!

by lmkluque Updated Nov 17, 2013

I was there just last Tuesday night (11/12/13) and it was the most lively of the places in this block of Fifth Avenue.

I physically can not dance any more but their "Swing Dance Tuesdays" is great for an old lady like me, just to listen to. Most of the places in the Gaslamp Quarter charge "Downtown" higher prices, but they don't exclude us poor people, they offer all sorts of discounts by hour and by day. Henry's Pub is no different.

Henry's also offers an interesting "Parings" menu. I don't know if it was inspired by Beer Week or not. The Mini crunchy tacos was actually complemented by their Bloody Gary, a gin-based Bloody Mary. I have to say that I still prefer Vodka Bloody Mary's and Gin Martinis.

Take a look at their website to see what each day offers or just go and be surprised.

Dress Code: The standard advise. If your goal is to dance and meet new people, dress your best for clubbing. Casual is good enough just having a meal or a drink.

• Business Travel

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Street life: Normal Heights

by Agraichen Updated Sep 6, 2013

Wandering the streets of the Normal Heights section of San Diego I found a location on Adams Ave that had a number of food trucks serving their wares and a band playing for the "crowd."

Chicken Bone Slim & The Biscuits is a four piece Blues group that plays a number of venues in the area. I'd go back to this area just to listen to them.

Dress Code: Anything goes.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Grand Lobby Bar: Good Drinks and Atmosphere

by cjg1 Updated Jul 25, 2013

My wife and I stopped here at the Grand Lobby Bar in the Grand Hyatt for some afternoon drinks. The hotel is absolutely beautiful; definitely should have stayed here instead of that dump of a hotel the Hilton Gaslamp, next time we will. The Grand Lobby Bar is exactly that; "Grand". All around the bar area is mahogany wood, period furnishings and art, Italian Marble and beautiful flower arrangements. I was very impressed by the look and vibe of the place and so was my wife.

We chose to have a seat at the bar for our drinks. The bartender was very friendly and came from a town not too far away from where I grew up in upstate NY. After perusing the drink and food menu I decided to just have a Miller Lite. The food offerings looked good but we just had a late lunch and were still stuffed. My wife decided to have a club soda with lime as she was still feeling good after a large Margarita from lunch.

We had a really good time here just people watching, talkig to the bartender and discussing our cruise that we were sailing on the following day. This was a nice place and I'd definitely come back even if I wasn't a guest at the hotel.

**The bartender provided my wife with a to-go cup with a refill of her club soda with lime. This was perfect for our walk back to the Hilton as it was still very hot outside and a beverage helped keep us hydrated.**

Dress Code: Casual

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Deja Vu: Good Place to Lose Your Money

by Basaic Written Feb 12, 2013

If your idea of nightlife is paying a large amount of money ($10 for about 3 minutes) for a partially clad woman to dance for you then you can go to the Déjà Vu Showbar. There was a shortage of places to get a drink near my hotel on Rosencranz. Personally I would prefer a quieter place.

Dress Code: In a strip club??

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Nicky Rotten's: Nice friendly place for drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

On our first night in San Diego we decided to take a walk and just find a place to grab some drinks and food. There are so many places along 5th but we decided to stop here at the recommendation of the attendant at the front desk of our hotel.

The place is quite nice with large dark wooden walls and a large bar as you walk in. There are your typical bar tables and an upstairs dining area as well. It's the type of decor I think of when I think of a pub/bar. We entered and decided to have a seat at the bar. We were hungry, but at this time the kitchen had just closed so we only ordered a drink. The bar is full of tv's and seems to be a good place to watch your favorite team playing. We decided then that we would come back to catch our Knicks playing the next day, but we found ourselves somewhere else that night.

I ordered the Blue Moon and Ferni a soda. The waiter was very nice and started chatting with us. He was a Brooklyn transplant :) We talked about the unseanably cold weather that San Diego was experiencing, about the Knicks and about San Diego in general. After I was done with our drink we set out to find a place to have something to eat since we were both quite hungry.

Dress Code: It's a casual pub/bar atmosphere with a friendly bartender.

• Wine Tasting

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Analog Bar: Good Food and Strong Drinks

by BLewJay Written Feb 17, 2012

We were looking for a place to relax and unwind before heading off to dinner, so while walking in the Gaslamp District, we found Analog. A nice, hip place with excellent food and "strong" drinks. As an appetizer, we ordered Hummus & Pita as well as the BBQ Pork "Bahn Mi" Street Tacos.

Dress Code: Casual to hip

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Red Fox Room!: Straight Out Of The Fifties!!

by lmkluque Updated Sep 25, 2011

This is a blast from the past, if you know what I mean. The Red Fox Room is connected to Red Fox Steak House, which is connected to the Lafayette Hotel & Suites San Diego. It is located on El Cajon Boulevard in North Park and has been around for over fifty years!

I started coming here over twenty years ago when I worked for EF Foundation. My boss and I would stop for dinner, as a way to wind-down and relax from the hectic days just before a group would arrive. The funny thing is that we wouldn't leave until well past one in the morning!

After a delicious steak and lobster dinner we'd move over in to the bar--a piano lounge--and take a booth until two of the seats around the piano became available. My boss loved to sing along , but I was just the audience. The age range at this dimly lit lounge was 21-91!! There were songs for everyone and everyone had a good time.

This is how it would work. Each person around the piano--except me--would have a turn singing their songs while the pianist played. Most of the clientele happened to be "regulars" but everyone, including a stranger was accepted and made to feel welcomed.

Later in the evening a bright, beautiful and talented group would show up and show off! Young actors from the local theaters around town stopped in for a night-cap and wowed us with their really great voices.

It was a wonderful chance to get to know the talent in the SD Theater world.

This is a bit off the tourist's path but worth a trip over if you like this sort of thing. I love the friendliness and the atmostphere, not to mention the excellent drinks.

Dress Code: Dress nicely. Nothing too fancy.

As you can imagine the age range, the styles ran from really old fashion to pretty trendy.

• Business Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Kristy's MVP Sports Bar: Home of the $2 pint!

by johngayton Updated Apr 4, 2011

With an internet connection that failed to happen at the hotel there was only one thing for it - find a local bar! Not really my personal taste in bars but there was a really good buzz here at Kirsty's and upon discovering that the special beer of the evening was only 2 bucks a pint then this made for quite a pleasant evening out. This is a proper sports bar with big screens all over, showing different games, and patronised by both male and female sports fans. Service was excellent and the regulars friendly and good natured. They also have a reasonably priced menu of the sort of stuff you would expect: wings, burgers etc. and seem particularly proud of their pizzas.

Smoking permitted on the outside patio!

Dress Code: Obviously no formal dress code though if you really want to fit in then your teams colours do the job.

• 3 more images

Cane's Bar & Grill: Oceanfront fun!

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located on Mission Beach, Canes is a multi-purpose spot with its oceanfront restaurant, rooftop deck, nightclub, and concert venue. I was introduced to Canes by Mike, a buddy who religiously attends their ongoing Saturday nights 80's tributes and thankfully so because it's really fun. One awesome 80's tribute band is Tainted Love who I saw perform one night and also Dead Man's Party (Oingo Boingo cover band) whose act I caught on another night. Canes is really a great venue for live music because of its intimate and comfortable space.

Canes is open Monday to Friday from 11am to 2am and Saturdays and Sundays for breakfast starting at 9am. Happy Hour is Monday to Friday from 5pm 'til sunset, and for sports fans, Canes has 25 satellite-ready TV's for your game-viewing pleasure.

Dress Code: Canes doesn't really enforce any particular type of dress code. Every time I've gone I've always seen a variety of fashion styles. There's the girls in halter-tops, jeans, and high-heels; boys in shorts and flip-flops; girls in mini-skirts and flip-flops; the Metrosexuals; and other folks who just don't give a flying hoot what they wear and who sees them. Again, SD is a pretty laid back beach community, so it's generally unpretentious at Canes.

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Comedy Store: Hilarious night out

by acemj Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Comedy Store in La Jolla is a great place to spend an evening laughing with friends. It was ironic that on the night that I visited, there were three Italian comics from back East (New York and New Jersey) doing their thing out here on the West Coast. We have a great time cracking up with the crowd and enjoying a few drinks. The picture below shows Mike Marino - www.mmarino.com.

See the website for the schedule of comedians and for cover charges.

Dress Code: Come as you are.

• dosels22's Profile Photo

San Diego Sports Club: Not just for sports

by dosels22 Updated Apr 4, 2011

SD Sports Club is becoming my new favorite.
    The bar is a cross between pool hall, dive bar and theatre. When you walk in you see the bar and its most gracious bartender. Imediately to the right is an elevated, psuedo vip table, that is open to anyone. Then as you venture back you pass the checkered dancefloor that host a variety of couches. I have only seen a band play there once but it is a great venue for close, personal shows. Next is the main section of the bar. Four ,0.25 cent pool tables, galaga, pac-man on super speed and a diverse juke box. Is the only bar I know with Frank Black on the Juke. Pitchers of Bud run about six bucks and the shots are more like drinks. Great late night spot.

Dress Code: chill

• CHINA20's Profile Photo

Café Sevilla Restaurant: Night time

by CHINA20 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nice place to drink, eat some tapas or dinner, dance, with great flamenco live music . If you want dance latino mucsic go down stairs in the entrance there is a pub, i went there to know and danced, but i love the flamenco, i felt that music in my skin whit very good players so i really enjoyed the sevilla restaurant. Ah! dont forget drink the delicious sangria.

Dress Code: I didnt see some dress code.

• Bellinghamster's Profile Photo

Humphry's by the Bay: Jazz Brunch and More

by Bellinghamster Updated Apr 4, 2011

Humphrey's by the Bay is great for Smooth Jazz lovers. This is just what I was looking for on my last visit to San Diego. Every Sunday they have live jazz and a great brunch buffet. I know they also have a night club, special outdoor concerts, and very fine dinning.

Humphrey's is set on the inside coner of Shelter Island and from the very nice windows the view is of a large small boat harbor, and Point Loma beyond.

The live jazz was a local group, but they do have headliner special events. The local Smooth Jazz station, KIFM broadcasts live from there on Sundays.

Dress Code: Not that I know of, "tourist informal" to formal would work. Certainly clean up for this place.

• Dundooni's Profile Photo

Sky Top Bar at the Ivy Hotel: Partying over the Marina

by Dundooni Written Mar 25, 2008

The Ivy Hotel has stepped up as the new place to be and be seen in San Diego. The Sky Top Bar and dance club boasts 360 views of downtown San Diego, including Petco Park and the Marina. It attracts a hip crowd that ranges in age from just 21 to hip tourists in their 40s. There is both dancing (with Go Go dancers who range from Flame Swallowers to Contortionists) and lounging near the pool. A great time to go is at sunset. Have a cocktail and the calamari and enjoy the view. Then take a quick nap and rejoin the scene when the crowd starts pouring in. You won't regret it!

Dress Code: Dress to impress. Women mostly wore dresses and men wore collared shirts and designer jeans. It gets a bit chilly, but there are heat lamps.

San Diego Hotels

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
West Park Inn Hotel
Latest: Apr 3, 2014

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

San Diego Nightlife

lmkluque's Profile Photo
What do you mean when you ask about "Nightlife?" No matter the answer, San Diego offers it all!
Map of San Diego