Nightclubs and bars in San Diego

• Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night away!
    Tremor - Drinking & Dancing the night...
    by Sprogley
    Dead Man's Party (5/06)
    by Phalaenopsis03
    Gaslamp during Mardi Gras '06
    by Phalaenopsis03

Most Viewed Nightlife in San Diego

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Kristy's MVP Sports Bar: Home of the $2 pint!

by johngayton Updated Apr 4, 2011

With an internet connection that failed to happen at the hotel there was only one thing for it - find a local bar! Not really my personal taste in bars but there was a really good buzz here at Kirsty's and upon discovering that the special beer of the evening was only 2 bucks a pint then this made for quite a pleasant evening out. This is a proper sports bar with big screens all over, showing different games, and patronised by both male and female sports fans. Service was excellent and the regulars friendly and good natured. They also have a reasonably priced menu of the sort of stuff you would expect: wings, burgers etc. and seem particularly proud of their pizzas.

Smoking permitted on the outside patio!

Dress Code: Obviously no formal dress code though if you really want to fit in then your teams colours do the job.

Pic from the website
    • Beer Tasting

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

Cane's Bar & Grill: Oceanfront fun!

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located on Mission Beach, Canes is a multi-purpose spot with its oceanfront restaurant, rooftop deck, nightclub, and concert venue. I was introduced to Canes by Mike, a buddy who religiously attends their ongoing Saturday nights 80's tributes and thankfully so because it's really fun. One awesome 80's tribute band is Tainted Love who I saw perform one night and also Dead Man's Party (Oingo Boingo cover band) whose act I caught on another night. Canes is really a great venue for live music because of its intimate and comfortable space.

Canes is open Monday to Friday from 11am to 2am and Saturdays and Sundays for breakfast starting at 9am. Happy Hour is Monday to Friday from 5pm 'til sunset, and for sports fans, Canes has 25 satellite-ready TV's for your game-viewing pleasure.

Dress Code: Canes doesn't really enforce any particular type of dress code. Every time I've gone I've always seen a variety of fashion styles. There's the girls in halter-tops, jeans, and high-heels; boys in shorts and flip-flops; girls in mini-skirts and flip-flops; the Metrosexuals; and other folks who just don't give a flying hoot what they wear and who sees them. Again, SD is a pretty laid back beach community, so it's generally unpretentious at Canes.

Dead Man's Party (5/06) Tainted Love (4/06) Dead Man's Party (5/06) Live Music & Clubbing @ Canes

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Comedy Store: Hilarious night out

by acemj Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Comedy Store in La Jolla is a great place to spend an evening laughing with friends. It was ironic that on the night that I visited, there were three Italian comics from back East (New York and New Jersey) doing their thing out here on the West Coast. We have a great time cracking up with the crowd and enjoying a few drinks. The picture below shows Mike Marino - www.mmarino.com.

See the website for the schedule of comedians and for cover charges.

Dress Code: Come as you are.

Jersey comic, Mike Marino

• dosels22's Profile Photo

San Diego Sports Club: Not just for sports

by dosels22 Updated Apr 4, 2011

SD Sports Club is becoming my new favorite.
    The bar is a cross between pool hall, dive bar and theatre. When you walk in you see the bar and its most gracious bartender. Imediately to the right is an elevated, psuedo vip table, that is open to anyone. Then as you venture back you pass the checkered dancefloor that host a variety of couches. I have only seen a band play there once but it is a great venue for close, personal shows. Next is the main section of the bar. Four ,0.25 cent pool tables, galaga, pac-man on super speed and a diverse juke box. Is the only bar I know with Frank Black on the Juke. Pitchers of Bud run about six bucks and the shots are more like drinks. Great late night spot.

Dress Code: chill

• Bellinghamster's Profile Photo

Humphry's by the Bay: Jazz Brunch and More

by Bellinghamster Updated Apr 4, 2011

Humphrey's by the Bay is great for Smooth Jazz lovers. This is just what I was looking for on my last visit to San Diego. Every Sunday they have live jazz and a great brunch buffet. I know they also have a night club, special outdoor concerts, and very fine dinning.

Humphrey's is set on the inside coner of Shelter Island and from the very nice windows the view is of a large small boat harbor, and Point Loma beyond.

The live jazz was a local group, but they do have headliner special events. The local Smooth Jazz station, KIFM broadcasts live from there on Sundays.

Dress Code: Not that I know of, "tourist informal" to formal would work. Certainly clean up for this place.

Artwork at Entrance to Humphrey's

• CHINA20's Profile Photo

Café Sevilla Restaurant: Night time

by CHINA20 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nice place to drink, eat some tapas or dinner, dance, with great flamenco live music . If you want dance latino mucsic go down stairs in the entrance there is a pub, i went there to know and danced, but i love the flamenco, i felt that music in my skin whit very good players so i really enjoyed the sevilla restaurant. Ah! dont forget drink the delicious sangria.

Dress Code: I didnt see some dress code.

Enjoying in Cafe Sevilla

• just4funds's Profile Photo

The Lounge at Candelas: Relax, and stay a while

by just4funds Updated Apr 4, 2011

This room, ethereal and dimly lit with a number of candles, gets pretty lively as the night wears on. Depending on the night, you'll hear anything from subtle techno to house/rap, and even some funky mixes with an instrumental accompaniment.

It's a cozy room, and you're well taken care of by the bartender and wait staff.

Dress Code: I don't think so, but you better call to be sure.

• ADV27's Profile Photo

Typhoon Saloon: Club at the Beach

by ADV27 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is great because of the atmosphere and the huge amounts of good looking young people partying, dancing and havinga great time. Within 6 or 7 blocks are about 50 different bars and clubs and the streets are packed with people partying until early in the morning. Best nights are Thursday to Saturday. The street is Garnet and it is in Pacific Beach. Here you can find a bar to suit anyone.

Dress Code: FOR THE TYPHOON SALOON BUTTON UP SHIRT AND NO HATS ARE THE NORM. CALIFORNIA'S ONLY TRULY INTERACTIVE HOT SPOT. WITH FOUR LEVELS AND TWO DANCE FLOORS, TYPHOON TAKES YOU TO A FANTASY LAND FULL OF LIGHTS AND MUSIC. IF LOUNGING IS YOUR STYLE, JUST KICK IT ON ONE OF OUR COMFY COUCHES IN THE 50-FOOT LOFT OVERLOOKING THE ACTION BELOW, OR PLAY POOL ON ONE OF OUR TWO POOL TABLES LOCATED IN THE SALOON BELOW THE CLUB FLOOR LEVEL. COME SEE WHAT ALL THE HYPE IS ABOUT.

• School Holidays

• spartan's Profile Photo

Fio's Cucina Italiana: VT'ers love Martini's

by spartan Updated Apr 4, 2011

After visiting both the Napa Valley Grill and Rei do Gado (and then posing for the webcam to show our VT t-shirts), we went to Fio's for a nightcap. We had many martini's and had lots to talk about while listening to jazz.

Dress Code: Business casual is the norm...didn't eat here but the food looked and smelled good.

• konasunset's Profile Photo

Downtown: Good night spots in SD...

by konasunset Updated Mar 1, 2011

There are quite a few good clubs in San Diego but I kind of agree that On Broadway and Belo are a little on the 'fancy' side and sometimes it's hard to let loose at these spots -- although they do have some amazing DJ's and can be a great place to party. If you do like that kind of music though -- there is a new club called Fluxx in the Gaslamp which is supposed to be one of SD's best new nightclubs. Also try Spin on Hancock st. which has some of the world's best DJ's passing through. If you want a more artsy vibe away from downtown... try North Park. They have an array of cool bars and hip night spots. Maybe warm up with some coffee and dessert at Claire de Lune Coffee Lounge on University which is a top notch people-watching spot. They also have some great live music. Then maybe hit U-31, The Office, or Bar Pink for some great live bands. If you need any more tips on the SD area, feel free to ask. I'm a local who knows the area quite well.

• Business Travel

• maemae11's Profile Photo

Anthology: Jazz Bar

by maemae11 Written Jun 19, 2010

Beautiful setup located in downtown San Diego. I dont really care for downtown but a friend was having a birthday dinner here and I was pleasantly surprised. The jazz band made my night. The music was beautiful and the atmosphere was mesmerizing. The food is a little on the pricey side but tasted wonderful.

Dress Code: Casual-dress

• Music

• Greystone Steakhouse: Expensive Fare, Horrible Service!

by HelloMyKitty Written Mar 9, 2009

FURIOUS, RAGE, ANGER, PISSED-OFF are words that come into my mind when I think of this establishment. If you plan on dining at this restaurant, I advise you to read the detailed account of my experience this past Saturday night.

Me and my boyfriend were in San Diego for the weekend celebrating my birthday. Our hotel was near the Gaslamp District so we decided to have dinner on 5th St. Saturday night. After multiple menu perusing, we decided on Greystone because the menu looked appetizing and the hostess delivered her best persuasive speaking abilities - convincing us that this place had the best food and ambiance compared to others, by far. We decided on sitting at a somewhat cozy and private table, that was near the open kitchen. Our original server seemed friendly even though he had a bit of a sarcastic humor that I was able to laugh/brush off. We ordered two entrees, a side dish, and a bottle of wine that came in a timely manner. As I was taking pictures of our entrees for the purpose of posting it on Yelp, I overheard another server commenting to the prep cook (I guess the guy that puts the finishing touches on each plate) on how he thinks it's "retarded" for people to be so fascinated with their food that they have to take pictures of it. Shortly after this, another server came to our table and refilled our wine glasses. We said "thank you" and didn't get an acknowledgment in return. At this point, we assumed that our first server must have finished his shift and another one was filling in for him. It would have been courteous if our first server actually introduced us to our new server and gave us his reasons for leaving. I mean, you get better service at the local Chili's/TGIF at this point. When we were done with our meal and the check came (brought to us by a third server), me and my boyfriend agree that since we had mediocre service, the tip should only be 10%. The third server picked up the check and as he was walking away, looked at the bill and said clearly "what a douche bag." I know I don't have super human abilities where my hearing is as great as a bat's so I'm just thinking that these servers are very poorly trained and are just utterly bitter about their job in order to blatantly not care about whether their patrons can hear them or not. So after he walks away from us, he goes to the manager (he's in a suit so we're assuming he's in charge) and says something about what a douche my boyfriend is. I didn't hear the rest but "douche" was definitely part of that conversation. As we were leaving, my boyfriend gets a hold of the manager and tells him about how disatisfied we are with the service and what we've been overhearing the rude comments made by the servers. The manager insists on being unaware about any of this and apologizes, although it sounded very insincere.

THE WORST PART ABOUT THIS STORY IS: when my boyfriend decided to call AMEX to cancel the tip on the bill, he learned that instead of being charged 10% for the tip, they changed it to 20%. This means that either the server/manager adjusted the tip on their own free will! I don't know what laws they abide by but this is illegal here. And when the hell was tip mandatory? People here tend to think that getting a tip is an entitlement and that it is no longer earned. The sad part is, the food was actually good...too bad Greystone employs a bunch of rude, conniving sons of ***es! Now, we have to wait for the charge to be posted before we can dispute it with the restaurant/AMEX. Luckily, this horrible dining experience did not ruin our lovely weekend together in SD.

Dress Code: None

• Dundooni's Profile Photo

Sky Top Bar at the Ivy Hotel: Partying over the Marina

by Dundooni Written Mar 25, 2008

The Ivy Hotel has stepped up as the new place to be and be seen in San Diego. The Sky Top Bar and dance club boasts 360 views of downtown San Diego, including Petco Park and the Marina. It attracts a hip crowd that ranges in age from just 21 to hip tourists in their 40s. There is both dancing (with Go Go dancers who range from Flame Swallowers to Contortionists) and lounging near the pool. A great time to go is at sunset. Have a cocktail and the calamari and enjoy the view. Then take a quick nap and rejoin the scene when the crowd starts pouring in. You won't regret it!

Dress Code: Dress to impress. Women mostly wore dresses and men wore collared shirts and designer jeans. It gets a bit chilly, but there are heat lamps.

• JojelavaVT's Profile Photo

Thin Bar: Not So Impressed

by JojelavaVT Written Dec 28, 2007

I had heard a few things about Onyx's new sister lounge-- THIN-- a few times, usually the same thing...its a great place to meet people, cheap drinks, awesome dance floor. Although I agree the drinks were cheap and there was a dance floor I will not agree that the people frequenting this place are really worth meeting. It may sound harsh, but this bar is so "ultra hip and chic" that I could hardly stand it. For starters the bar was almost empty when they let me and my ladies in, but refused to let our guy friends in. Instead they had to sit in a line which really had no reason to be there, since when I stepped in side I was basically hanging out with the bartenders. The vibe is pretty cool. Bright lights shining through huge art deco glass paintings, and the lounge part of the place wasnt all that bad, as there were all sorts of cushions, chairs and couches to play around on...but honestly this place doesnt live up to its buzz. The bouncers are over ancy and ready to beat you up at the first sign of trouble. The bathrooms have a unisex washroom which makes for some uncomfortable drunken moments, and even more uncomfortable moments for the three people standing there waiting to hand your paper towels... I mean come on. The music decisions were nothing to get excited over, and the dance floor (although large) had few people dancing on it, but instead was full of women trying to trying to balance on their stripper heels and men scouting out those that are most likely to be underagers. Its a wierd scene, and def too uptight and chi-chi for my liking. Maybe Ill give it another try some night, but definitely no night soon.

Dress Code: Very dressy. Almost every lady had on her shortest dress, highest heels, and lots of make up. For guys it looks like everything goes, but I would atleast throw on some nice shoes, and a button up for this place. Also there was a bit of funkiness going on, so feel free to take a chance on your outfit that night with a hat, crazy bag, bright colors, whatever.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

The Beach Bar at the W Hotel: Beach Themed Rooftop Bar

by leplaya Updated Nov 11, 2007

This is a pretty interesting bar at the W hotel. It's called beach and as you would expect it has a beach theme. It is a rooftop bar with the ground covered in sand. It is a pretty trendy place with fairly expensive drinks, but it is a pretty fun place to go to.

Dress Code: Not sure if there's a dress code, but you'd look out of place wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

San Diego Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
DEFUNCT Sunburst Court Inn
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

San Diego Nightlife

lmkluque's Profile Photo
What do you mean when you ask about "Nightlife?" No matter the answer, San Diego offers it all!
Map of San Diego