Downtown San Diego, San Diego

37 Reviews

Know about this? Rate It!

hide
  • Downtown San Diego
    by Yaqui
  • Downtown San Diego
    by lmkluque
  • Downtown San Diego
    by lmkluque
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Keating Building 1890

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    This lovely building was built by Fannie Keating after her husband died in 1888. He was part of the famous Smith & Keating farm equipment company. She chose the Reid Brothers as architect who also did the Hotel del Coronado. The building boasted the Romanesque Revival and included the state of art features during its hey-day as having steam heat and a wire cage elevator at the cost of $135,000. Sadly the elevator is gone. Famous tenants such as Lawyers, Babcock, Paterbaugh and Luce, Henry Lord Gay, founder of the American Institute of Architects; T.J. Sloan, photographer; San Diego Trust and Savings Bank and the City Library. It was restored and in the 1970’s Jim Croce’s widow started a restaurant/jazz club, which is still popular. Since 1997 the Carriage Stop Café occupies the "F" Street side. It is also the The Keating Hotel which is very trendy.

    The Keating Hotel
    432 F Street Ave
    San Diego, CA 92101
    619.814.5700

    Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar
    802 5th Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101
    619-233-4355

    Carriage Stop Cafe
    430 F St. Ave
    (619) 239-8080
    Expresso Bar/Carriage Rides

    Located corner of 5th & F Street in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Louis Bank of Commerce 1888

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    This beautiful building is my favorite. I was immediately drawn to it. The last time I was down here with my neice and my sister it was night time and my poor little camera didn't take the best nightime picture.

    This wonderful Baroque Revival four story building was named after Isador Louis, an enterprising German. The first granite building of San Diego housed the Bank of Commerce with a capital stock of $500,000. Its purpose was to loaned money out for real estate ventures. Louis opened an oyster bar in 1893 and this because a favorite haunt of Wyatt Earp. Upstairs had 33 rooms rented out as lodging quarters. During its Golden Poppy Hotel era, it was operated by Madam Coara, a well-known brothel. The ladies wore the same color their doors were painted. It remained a hotel until 1946. In 1947, Mr. Ratner bought it 1947 who had an electric company and known as "The House of a Thousand lights."
    This was lovingly restored to its hey-day. The three-sided bay windows are decorated with cast terra cotta and carved wood. The front has edge-roof frieze of sheet metal. The second and third floors have stone spandrel with motif carvings. The original stacked molding cornice with twin mansard-roof towers had decorative eagles with outstretched wings on them were lost in a fire in 1904. These lovely pieces have been restored in 2001. Now located in this building is a restaurant, a night club in the basement, and the upper floors are office spaces.

    G5 - Georges
    835 5th Ave
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 702-0444

    Faces Night Club and Lounge
    835 5th Ave San Diego, Ca 92101
    619-238-7191

    Located 835-837 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Old City Hall 1874

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Built in 1874 with only two stories, the Old City Hall is of Florentine-Italianate style. Two more floors were added in 1887. Rooms are 16 feet high, 12 foot windows framed with brick arches. The interior has antique columns, ornate ceilings, a wrought-iron cage elevator, and a skylight on the fourth floor. Originally constructed to house the Consolidated National Bank, but when the top two floors were finished the Public Library moved in the third floor. The City purchased the building in 1891 from Ralph Granger. The San Diego City Government offices were moved into the building. Edwin Capp was the first Mayor to serve in this building, but unfortunately was involved in a scandal over profit-making on the purchase of a smallpox vaccine for the public.

    Louis Wilde was another hoot of a Mayor in 1917 who donated the Horton Plaza fountain to the City. He had even renamed D Street to Broadway. He owned the U.S. Grant Hotel and it was where he lived. He hosted a debutante ball in 1920 for his daughter Lucille at the Hotel del Coronado where The Prince of Wales was a guest. Mayor Wilde used this gala to snubbed his political enemies by not inviting them to this event. This building was completely restore to its former glory in the 1980’s.

    Jimmy Love's restaurant and bar
    672 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 595-0123
    The third and fourth floors lofts.

    Located 644 5th & G, SW Corner in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    San Diego Hardware 1910

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    This building was a dance hall and a Woolworth store. The building still has its Woolworth design with wood floors, tin ceilings (which survived the scrap metal war effort) and distinctive rounded storefront windows. San Diego Hardware was established in 1892, but moved to this located around 1922.

    Now this lovely building is being used as the
    American Apparel
    840 5th Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Ingersoll Tutton Building 1894

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This beautiful building was touted as being the most expenisive to build for its size during the hey-day of the Gas Lamp Quarters at the price of $20,000. It is of Romanesque architecture with 16-foot ceilings, huge glass windows, arched windows second floor, beautiful corbelled brickwork. It is know for having a notorious tenants was Dr. W. Kingsley, who illegally dispensing drugs in 1931.

    Many of these beautiful buildings have regular businesses on the ground floor and the top floors are being converted to rental properties or condos.

    Located 832 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Spencer Ogden Building 1874

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This wonderful building is still owned by the Spencer and Ogden family who bought the building from Charles De Laval in 1881 and then added the second floor in 1885. The building has been restored. Previous tenants included realtors, an import business, drug stores, a home furnishing business and dentists, including one who dubbed himself "Painless Parker".

    The Bitter End
    770 Fifth Avenue
    San Diego, Ca 92101
    619-338-9300

    Located 770 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Photography
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Grand Pacific Hotel 1887

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This lovely Victorian hotel is three-story structure that began serving community relief services in 1901 such as Helping Hand Home. Children's Hospital of San Diego occupied the building until 1920. It has been kept loved and enjoyed ever since.

    Far East Trading Company Limited
    904 Fifth Avenue San Diego, CA
    (619) 233-9918

    Located 366 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    First National Bank 1884

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Architect was A.W. Delane in Baroque Revival. Built in 1884 as a one story building, a second and third was added in 1886 when it became the bank. Vaults and safety deposit boxes are still in the basement with some of boxes are supposely still sealed. The bank shared the building with the Coronado Beach Co. Then around the 1900's San Diego Trust and Savings Bank moved in. Then from 1922-71 Security Pacific National Bank operated from here.

    Many of these beautiful buildings have regular businesses on the ground floor and the top floors are being converted to rental properties or condos.

    The building is the Osetra Watergrill
    904 5th Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Merchantile Building 1894

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    This building is an extension of the Ingersoll Tutton building to the north. This buiding houses many type of retail businesses, A.M. Ingersoll Ice Cream and Confectioners store that operated from 1895-1906.

    Many of these beautiful buildings have regular businesses on the ground floor and the top floors are being converted to rental properties or condos.

    Located 822 5th Ave in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Nesmith-Greeley Building 1888

    by Yaqui Updated Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    Named for the Henrietta in 1888, who the daughter of a San Diego businessman Thomas Nesmith, and her husband Lt. Adolphus Washington Greeley. The architect was Comstock and Trotsche, designed in Romanesque Revival. Mr. Nesmith was president the Bank of San Diego until 1879 when the bank merged with the Commercial Bank. He was also president of the Citizen's Committee of 40 in 1870 who were trying to get the railroad extended here. Mr. Greeley was known for his Arctic adventures that reached the farthest navigational point in the north. In the 1900’s Ada Pierce occupied several floors ran a lodging house known as The Normandie.

    Now the upper floors are for rent and ground floor is a restaurant.

    Urban Bar & Grill
    827 5th Ave
    San DiegoCA 92101
    619-235-8700

    Located 825 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Hubbell Building 1887

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    This is three story brick building constructed in Victorian style. The lower floor has been used mainly for retail particularly clothing stores. Some of the more notable shops were The Arcade, specializing in ladies fancy goods, City of Paris Clothing, and George Marston’s Gentlemen’s Furnishings. Marston was very successful in San Diego and operated here until it moved into its own building next door. The upper floors were leased to the Grand Army of the Republic from 1904 to 1926.

    Now the ground floor has a wonderful Italian restaurant which is one of restaurant tips, and another business next to it.

    de’ Medici
    815 5th Ave
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 702-7228

    The Grape
    823 5th Ave, San Diego, Ca 92101
    619-238-8010

    Located 813-823 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    William Penn Hotel 1913

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    Built in 1913 as a elegant Oxford Hotel touting as a "no rooming house" but but only a first-class, downtown hotel with a double room with private bathroom and toilet cost $1.50. It still serves as a upscale hotel with kitchens and all the luxuries of home. Located on the ground floor are other businesses.

    Penn Hotel
    511 F St.
    San Diego, Ca 92101
    619-231-1500

    Maloney's Tavern
    777 5th Avenue,
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 232-6000

    Starbucks Coffee Company
    5th & F Street, San Diego
    511 F Street
    San Diego, CA 921016308
    619-235-0573

    Located 511 F Street in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Photography
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Pierce-Field Building 1885

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    An example of a typical retail structure of the 19th century. The Reed Wyman Hardware Company was managed by E.C. Field and J.C. Field. In 1908 they formed their own hardware store. Deliveries were made by a sidewalk access to the basement. A slide carried the merchandise to the basement and a pulley system was use to send merchandise to the street level. A butcher shop, adult book store, and men’s furnishings have also been tenants.

    Located 753 5th Avenue in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Backesto Building 1873

    by Yaqui Written Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Architects were Burgett and Osgood who designed it in Classical Revival at the cost of $300.00. The lot was bought by Dr. John Pierce Backesto in 1867. The building didn’t get finished until 1873, but modified in 1887. It was one of nicest buildings during its day. It had tenants such as clothiers, milliners, jewelers, a grocery store, liquor store, general merchandisers, hardware store, real estate offices, photographer's studio, and ship chandlers and steamship companies.

    The upper floor housed 39 sleeping rooms. San Diego's pioneer grocer Klauber and Levi occupied the ground floor from 1878 to 1886. San Diego Hardware in 1892 opened here, but by 1923 relocated to a store farther up Fifth Avenue.

    The upper floor were turned into business offices. The ground floor is occupied by various commercial businesses including restaurants and a market.

    Located 614 5th Ave in Gas Lamp Quarters.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Bancroft Building 1870-1887

    by Yaqui Updated Nov 22, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    Hubert Howe Bancroft moved to Market Street in 1870 after the completion of a lavish 5 story building, here he developed the largest combined mercantile and manufacturing, wholesale and retail, book, stationery and publishing business in the world. It was often called the Bancroft Library or Pacific Library. Sadly this building burned in 1886, but fortunately, the library had been moved from the fifth floor of the Market Street location to a specially constructed fire-proofed brick building on Valencia Street. Hubert Howe Bancroft formed two new companies: The History Company, and the Bancroft Company. In August 1887, under these new imprints, the production, publication, and marketing of Bancroft's Works resumed in the rebuilt quarters at 723 Market Street, known thereafter as the History Building. Business ended in 1897.(retrived 22/11/09 from the www.oac.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt8779n9js;developer=local;query=;style=oac4;doc.view=entire_text)

    It's other lives include the AZTEC THEATER and now it houses the
    Pacific Gaslamp 15
    701 5th Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101 United States

    Located at 665 5th Ave San Diego, Ca 92101

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: San Diego

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

84 travelers online now

Comments

View all San Diego hotels