Anthony's Fish Grotto, San Diego

by lmkluque
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: A Long Time Favorite

by lmkluque Updated Mar 13, 2012

Anthony's has been a favorite in San Diego for many years. It is conveniently located on Harbor Drive, along the San Diego Bay near the Star of India, the Cruise Ship Terminals and the Habor Cruise kiosks.

There are three restaurants rolled into one at this spot. The Star of the Sea Room is "casually elegant," the Fish Grotto is casual, family dining and the Fishette is their "fast food" offering for those on the go.

Honestly, Anthony's is not my favorite dine-in restaurant. I like the Fish Market better, which is a little further down on Harbor Drive--next to the Midway--but the seafood at Anthony's is fresh. I do admit that my opinion is based on eating in their Chula Vista location--which has since Closed--so the San Diego location might be a lot better.

Many people rave about it, and I have to admit that the seafood is fresh, delicately cooked and well flavored. So I suggest it as an option while visiting along the Harbor.

I especially like the Fishette, for convience and the prices. I've stopped there quite often to get something to go. They do have an outdoor seating section available and most interesting is the boat dock just outside for those staying in one of the many marinas to pop in for a meal.

There isn't much of a view here, but when in a hurry, that might not be so important.

I haven't eaten in either the The Star of the Sea Room or The Fish Grotto. I'm sure the quality of the food is the same and they both seem pretty popular with everyone.

The service at Anthony's Fishette, is efficient, but not particularly friendly. However, in both dining rooms, they seem pleasant and helpful. So, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the Fish & Chips,a good sized portion. The fish is always fresh and the flavor of the cole slaw is surprizingly good. I also like the Scallops here very much and just thinking of them makes my mouth water.

• Business Travel

• Sophie1980's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Great Fish

by Sophie1980 Written Feb 13, 2004

I had a great Tuna Salad here after visiting the Maritime Museum. It's located on Harbor Drive, just a few minutes walk away from the museum. You can eat in or take away, though eat in if you have time because the view across the harbor is fantastic.

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna salad which was tasty. They serve shrimp/smoked fish/tuna/crab salads, sandwiches - tuna, fried fish, salmon - and battered catfish, squid, scallops, clams, shrimp, amongst others. Prices aren't bad - most expensive salad is $7 and average price for lunch for one is noe more than $10.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Great location

by Yaqui Updated Oct 11, 2008

We didn't eat here, but we did get buy some drinks here. It was a wonderful warm day, so everyone was thirsty. I would say the location being right on the bay is convenient for tourist and good for their business.

Seven Days a Week: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Looks fishy to me ...

by shrimp56 Written Mar 25, 2004

Favorite Dish: This is actually three restaurants on the waterfront just north of the Cruiseship Terminal.
    The lower-priced semi fast-food place is Anthony's Fishette and the higher-priced restaurant is Star of the Sea. All have tables with a view of the bay, but I liked those at the Fishette best!

• Chiky's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: I'm no fish person!

by Chiky Written Mar 1, 2004

This is the spot! It's fun and loud yet atmospherically romantic! The portions are hearty, the prices are resonable and the staff is much friendlier than you'd expect for a place this quaint. It's a locals favorite and Has my best friend Hooked! Every time she visits Anthony's Fish Grotto Is a MUST!
    I'm not a fish person but I tried the Salmon with fettuccini in a garlic cheesey sauce and it was the best salmon I'd ever had in my life! That is now my favorite! The Lobster Thurmadore is not bad at all! Very good sauce with that was wonderful! They do everything better than anyone I've tasted yet!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Ceasar is wonderful and the Salmon Fetttuccini is perfect! Lobester Thermadore is wonderful and they have the best clam chowder this side of the Mississippi!

• Fishing

• Straggler's Profile Photo

"Anthony's Fish Grotto" and "Star of the Sea": Can't Beat the View & Fresh Seafood

by Straggler Written May 17, 2003

Anthony's View

What makes this place special is the quality of food, service and the view.

The prices vary from fair to expensive depending upon where you eat:
    Fish Grotto or
    The Star of the Sea; is Anthony's fine dining seasonal seafood restaurant located on San Diego Bay. (www.starofthesea.com)

Favorite Dish: My favorites are any of the fresh catch. You just can't go wrong. I prefer the Grilled or broiled to the fried. You will pay a little more but it is well worth it.

• Anthony's Fish Grotto: Anthony's: Very Good Seafood At Affordable Price

by Shadownlite Updated Feb 26, 2003

Anthony's Fish Grotto is located next to the expensive, sit-down, Anthony's restaurant. It has affordable pricing on the meals and also has a casual atmosphere. The restaurant is located on elevated slits and you get a lovely view of the Harbor. There is deck seating and you can also pull up in your boat and tie up at there dock.

Favorite Dish: The "Mixed Treasure" meal. It has scallops, squid, shrimp, clams, and fish, along with a nice helping of fries.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: An Old Seafood Favorite

by seagoingJLW Updated Apr 4, 2011

Reunion Time

Anthony's Fish Grotto is right on the waterfront, next to the cruise ship pier.

Favorite Dish: Everything is good...nothing is great.

The best thing about eating here was meeting my old friends, Sonny and Shirley, whom I last saw at their wedding 52 years ago. Here we are enjoying the reunion at Anthony's Fish Grotto.

11/25/02

• Monkey32's Profile Photo

Athony's which is located near...

by Monkey32 Written Aug 24, 2002

Athony's which is located near downtown San Diego right next to the docking back for tourist boat rides and Navy docking. This is a seafood resturaunt.
    This resturaunt is right over the ocean in between the Star of Indian and a pier.

Favorite Dish: Well I'm not exactly a big fan of fish, but this resturaunt does give a large assortment of seafood. My favorite is the popcorn shrimp or the fish and chips.

• azabeti's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Best Chower I've had so far!

by azabeti Written Apr 1, 2008
    Anthony's 1

This is a great restaurant recommended to me by a friend. It's in downtown right on the San Diego bay. It has a family dining area and a separate dining area near the bar with a more romantic atmosphere. You can get a seat next to the window and see the harbor.
    The staff was also very friendly and the service was very good. As busy as they were(their main dining room was packed), they got our food to us in excellent time.
    My wife and I definitely will go again give the opportunity.

Favorite Dish: For appetizer, definitely the New England Clam Chowder. It was the best I've ever tasted. They've been doing this since 1946, so it makes since it's so good.
    For the main course, I got the Mesquite Steak and fire grilled shrimp. The steak was done just right and the shrimp tasted very fresh.
    My wife got the Light Trout Fillet. Which was a piece of fresh trout (fire grilled as well) with their special sauce they poured over it. The fish was very light and flaky and they sauce was very tany, but subtle enough not to overpower the flavor of the fish.
    For drink I got their Mango Margarita. They put sugar on the rim instead of salt, but the whole thing wasn't too sweet; went very good with the steak and shrimp.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Local Seafood chain

by Jim_Eliason Written Jun 17, 2007

Anthony's Fish Grotto

Anthony's is another local institution. The most famous is on the harbour downtown by the Maritime museum. Other locations included by the Chula Vista Nature center and La Mesa.

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near Anthony's Fish Grotto
1094 Opinions