Cafe Coyote, San Diego

2461 San Diego Avenue (619) 291-4695

Huevos Rancheros from Perry
    Huevos Rancheros at Cafe Coyote
  • Huevos Rancheros at The Old Town Mining Co
    Huevos Rancheros at The Old Town Mining...
  • CarlGustaf's Profile Photo

Cafe Coyote: Small guide to Huevos Rancheros in Old Town

by CarlGustaf Updated May 19, 2012

Huevos Rancheros at Cafe Coyote

During our stay in San Diego my mission was to locate the best Huevos Rancheros dish, my long-term favorite Mexican breakfast dish. The first time I had it was on Mexican restaurant chain VIPs, this is also my impression that its the most authentic way to serve the dish. Basically it's two eggs on a corn/flour tortilla, with black beans (frijoles) topped with a piece of cheddar cheese and covered with ranchero sauce.

Naturally there may be different interpretations of the dish – especially when it comes to Tex Mex style. For instance a flour tortilla instead of a corn tortilla, shredded cheddar cheese instead of a whole piece, but I haven't seen them with other types of beans, for instance Pinto beans that they use in America, than those of the Frijoles (black beans).

Since we stayed in Old Town (the birthplace of California) our mission should be helped along, since there are about 6-7 different Mexican restaurants that serve Huevos Rancheros for breakfast in this area. First of all: 2/3rds of the HR dishes I tried had no ranchero sauce, I had to order it specifically to get that prescious salsa. None of the dishes had frijoles, but all used Pinto beans. The verdict is as follows

Favorite Dish: The dish in Old Town mining company was more like it. Besides home made corn tortilla, egg was topped with a little bit of ranchero sauce (my cup on the side was what I ordered as extra), along with additional avocado. Again, home fries to accompany the pinto beans that were also topped with a combination of 2 different cheddar cheeses. Price in the 7 – 9 dollar area.

The places I am comparing with are Café Coyote, Old Town Mining Co, and Perry's Breakfast Café.

On Café Coyote (first photo):
    2 eggs with cheddar on a corn tortilla with Pinto beans topped with crumbled cheese. Home fries on the side! Home fries. Since when did that become a part of Huevos Rancheros. I found this dish rather pricy, but what can you expect in a pricy area. Home made tortillas though. No salsa, so I had to ask for Tabasco. Price in the 7 – 9 dollar area.

All in all I am not that satisfied with the way Huevos Rancheros are made in Old Town. Unfortunately I have yet to find the best place. The mission continues.

On Perry's breakfast café.. Again combination of cheddar cheeses spurred over a pinto bean area of the plate. On the other side of the plate, eggs on a corn tortilla, ranchero sauce on top and besides pieces of green bell pepper. This dish had no home fries, so I would call it the most true to the recipe dish, if you forget the Pinto beans. Price in the 7 – 9 dollar area.

Of the three mentioned above I would clearly choose the HR's at the Old Town Mining Co. However it had home fries that I believe is not part of the traditional recipe. The dish at Cafe Coyote did not even have any Ranchero sauce. All of the dishes vary in small details, like the way cheddar cheese is used, and the way additionals like avocado are used. None of the dishes use frijoles, and so judging from this fact, I wonder if the remaining restaurants offering HRs will differ any in style. Please tell a word if you stumble over any different HR dish or recommend the best place to go for this great Mexican breakfast.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Cafe Coyote: Homemade Mexican food

by spartan Updated Dec 12, 2008

Crowded restaurant serving excellent mexican food in the middle of Old Town. It has been a while since I last went there, but in addition to the original location, they have taken over the storefront next door and expanded the bar area.

Favorite Dish: I recommend everything on the list from the homemade tortillas, to the carne asada to the margarita's and don't forget to see the "Tortilla Lady." On my next visit, I had the Beer Battered Fish Tacos (two soft corn tortillas filled with battered fish fillets deep fried & topped with cabbage, salsa fresca and their special jalapeño white sauce) along with Mexican-style rice and refried beans. To wash it down, I had a Blue Coyote Margarita (Gold Tequila served on the rocks with Blue Curacao and Sweet & Sour).

• Cafe Coyote: Best Mexican in Old Town, San Diego!

by hannahjoy Updated Jun 30, 2008

I ate at a couple different Mexican restaurant in Old Town and Cafe Coyote was defiantly the BEST! I have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner and all were INCREDIBLE! I loved the Machaca Burrito and the French Toast was really good as well. The servers were friendly and helpful and I was seated right away every visit. The tortillas were being made fresh and were sold outside in the front to go. Definitely worth a visit!

Favorite Dish: Bean and Cheese Burrito
    Machaca Burrito
    Fresh Flour Tortillas
    Salsa

• soozyd's Profile Photo

Cafe Coyote: Bean There & Liked It

by soozyd Updated Jun 14, 2007

I didn't do my research before Old Town, so it was a bit of a gamble trying to choose a place along the main drag. They all looked full, and of course, when you're in a touristy place, you never know if the places are all full because they're all good or because you're in a touristy place. So we just picked one, and it turned out to be good one.

There is nothing intimate about Cafe Coyote on a weekend night. First off, with indoor and patio seating in a couple different buildings/areas, this place is huge. Margaritas topped every single table (except ours – I'm not drinking right now, and mom is a bit of a lightweight so usually abstains!). Mariachis were strumming and singing everywhere. And we got seated in the bar area, so there was sports TV all over the place too. Sensory overload! But we got into the spirit of it, somehow, though it probably would have been easier with the help of tequila.

My mom was happy with her enchilada place, and my vegetarian plate with tamale, guacamole taco and chili relleno was very good, I must say. If you're gonna go for this option, though, I would advise going for the potato taco instead of the guacamole one. I love guac, but this was just too much.

All in all, a good place for great food and a fun, festive ambience. As is mentioned in a couple of the other reviews here, the tortillas are housemade - hot, fresh and yummy.

• Cafe Coyote: Love the Margs!

by MexLover Written Jun 4, 2007

Awesome. Just awesome. I love the restaurants in Old Town. There are quite a few good restaurants in Old Town. That might be why I like going there. If one restaurant is full, I know there's another good restaurant to go to. After waiting at Old Town Mexican Cafe a few months ago, I got tired of waiting and went over to Cafe Coyote. Boy am I glad I did!

I arrived without a reservation on a busy Saturday night. Within 5 minutes I was seated. A very nice gentleman by the name of Dan/Danny? came by for my drink order. I gave him my drink order and told him I was ready to order my food. I ordered something called a Pollo Crema. Wow. It's chicken with some sort of white sauce on it. Very flavorful. Yum! I think I have a new favorite restaurant now!

Favorite Dish: Pollo Crema. Lots of cause, moist chicken and spicy jalepenos.

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

Enjoy Mexican food at its...

by lauriejeanne Written Sep 7, 2002

Enjoy Mexican food at its finest and the most amazing margharitas imaginable at Cafe Coyote.
    The tortillas are made fresh right on the veranda where you sit.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

This nice lady in Old Town...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

This nice lady in Old Town makes good tortillas. I also had good flavored tortillas on San Diego Avenue at Cafe Coyote a few blocks from Old Town.

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Coyote
4.0 out of 5 stars