Gringo's Concina Cantina, San Diego

• Gringo's Concina Cantina
    by vigi
  • Gringo's Concina Cantina
    by vigi
    Yes, They Serve Margaritas!
    by Ken_Weaver
  • Gringo's Concina Cantina: The service was good!

by sherrypie Written Jan 1, 2008

Sorry to say, this was the worst mexican food I've ever eatten outside of my grocer's freezer. The ambiance is great, that is what lured me in. The food was very much lacking in flavor and visual appeal. My tequila sampler was out of order or just not what was listed, but the staff was very accomodating in taking it off my bill. Did I mention that the ambiance was great!

Favorite Dish: The chips and salsa were good.

• Business Travel
    • Surfing
    • Beaches

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo

Gringo's Concina Cantina: Not Your Normal Mexican Restaurant

by Ken_Weaver Updated Jul 2, 2005

Yes, They Serve Margaritas!

This restaurant doesnt even look like a typical Mexican restaurant was wonderfully comfortable with its decor and personable staff. I was very intrigued by the menu as it offered items that I had never tried before. A regular customer at the bar who who was very food knowledgeable recommended my meal and it was fantastic.

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed the Mazatlan Platter which consisted of a grilled sirloin steak, sauteed jumbo Mexican prawns, cotija-jalepeno whipped potatoes, with a trasiego-tyme demiglace. Cotija is a Mexican aged cheese, semi hard and aged, a bit like feta.
    A very filling meal for just $19.95.

At the bartenders recommendation I first tried the Baja Clam Chowder which was very nice with cayenne, tarragon and tyme. A cup was 4.50 and the bowl was $5.25.

Of course I can not leave a mexican restaurant without trying the Flan. This offering had a very tender custard, a tasty caramel sauce and was topped with fresh black berries, raspberries and blueberries and , unfortunately, an unnecessary dollap of whipped cream, which I scraped off....not needed for this traditional dish! But the fresh berries made it a real value at $6

Instant Answers: San Diego