Kansas City Bar-B-Q, San Diego

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Kansas City Barbeque: Cruise on in

by goodfish Updated Jan 29, 2014

Yep, I did a totally touristy thing so just go ahead and snigger.

It was here; we were hungry; we like BBQ; why not? KCBBQ’s claim to fame isn’t what comes out of the kitchen (although it’s been around for 30-odd years or so) but as the shooting location for some memorable scenes from “Top Gun.” I’d already read enough reviews to know that people have had a love/hate relationship with the place but the sunny patio looked, if nothing else, like a good spot for a cold beer, and it was largely empty in the mid-afternoon hour.

It is your classic dive bar - sticky floors, plastic tablecloths, paper plates, sports on the TV - and looks curiously older than it is ‘cause the original building burned in 2008 and was totally reconstructed. That said, if you’re coming just for some nostalgia give this a skip ‘cause Maverick and Goose never lifted a bottle in the current watering hole ...although movie and military memorabilia are plastered on every wall, and the “Great Balls of Fire” piano, salvaged from the blaze, occupies a corner of one of the dining rooms. The “Lovin’ Feeling” jukebox didn’t make it so you’ll be plugging your quarters into a replica.

Both of us ordered pulled-pork sammies with fries; about $9:00. Not the best but not the worst we’ve had either, they were fine washed down with a couple of brews, and we had fun watching the Coaster trains as they rumbled by; the tracks run just spittin’ distance from one side of the terrace. Service was prompt and friendly but I read that it can be slow/inconsistent during the peak lunch/dinner hours.

Would I do it again? Probably not but I won't rule out joining the bar-stool crew for a couple of innings of a Padres game or an ice-cold longneck some sunny afternoon.

• Women's Travel

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Kansas City Bar-B-Q: TOP GUN Bar Scene was filmed here!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 31, 2008

OK, to be honest, we came here because it was where the "sleazy bar scene" from Top Gun was filmed. I wanted to place my buns where Anthony Edwards buns had been... But once we were there we were overwhelmed with the scrumptious smell of barbeque and decided to have lunch. EXCELLENT decision! So much sauce, it runs down your arms - yummy! Prices are good too - you can get lunch and a beer for around $15.

Favorite Dish: Loved the BBQ ribs and onion rings - meat falls off the bones with only the slightest urging, and the onion rings are fresh!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Kansas City Bar-B-Q: Remember that scene in Top Gun?

by travelgirl3 Written Oct 16, 2004

On the wall at the Kansas City BBQ - San Diego, CA

We walked past this restaurant daily, as it was very close to our hotel. You could smell the mesquite smoke for about a block in any direction, and it smelled incredible! Unfortunately, we never ended up eating there, but did pop in one evening to check it out. It's a very small, low-key place, with plastic checkered tablecloths and typical diner waitresses. The place was very busy, and everybody seemed to enjoy their meal.

From the ceiling in the Bar you will see thousands of ball-type caps hanging, mostly with military insignias. From the ceiling fan, there are no hats, but about a dozen bras!!! Guess the ladies wanted to leave a different type of memento!

The pic at the right is from the patio, and yes, I remember that scene (don't think I'll ever forget it!)

• Kansas City Barbeque: Interesting

by ShempDeeLa Written Jun 1, 2004

Alright, it's the Top Gun bar. The food, while not amazing, was edible. What you're really going there for is that fact that it's the sleazy bar from Top Gun, and really I enjoyed the experience. The waitress cracked me up as did the general Kansas theme of the place. It's a fun place but don't go there if you're looking for an incredible meal.

Favorite Dish: The ribs baby!

Instant Answers: San Diego