Places to eat in San Diego

The Fish Market
    by Jim_Eliason
  • Anthony's Fish Grotto
    by Yaqui
    Passion Fruit Ricotta Torte - My Fave!
    by pacific_sol

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Diego

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Casa de Reyes: The flavor of Old Mexico

by travelgourmet Updated Jun 19, 2014

Casa de Reyes is an Old Town traditional Mexican dining adventure. It is an adventure because you can try your luck with a 58 oz. margarita (try sharing) if you dare. Music fills the air by mariachis that roam the large open air restaurant. This is a very lively part of Old Town.

Casa de Reyes is located within the new Fiesta de Reyes, formerly Plaza del Pasado, which was formerly Bazaar del Mundo which moved across the street in Old Town San Diego. Keeping up with me? They seem to change names and owners quicker than the "Mexican Hat Dance". Trust the latest owners stay put. Open Mon-Thurs 10 am-9 pm, Fri-Sat 10 am-10 pm and breakfast is served daily until 1 pm. There was usually a line of people waiting to sit at a table during the lunch hours

Favorite Dish: Why is it that at Mexican restaurants you get served tortilla chips and a sauce that makes you crave more and more and you haven't even ordered food yet? Well, if you have a large Margarita drink in one hand, the other will find the chips. All foods at Mexican restaurants please me and Casa de Reyes is no exception. Choose what will suit you, but I enjoyed the traditional Enchiladas Suizas with pork that was on the menu. My wife had a special dish that was not on the menu that was made with mole sauce. As mentioned already, delicioso!

Margarita kick start with hot salsa.& chips. Ole! Delicioso! Casa de Reyes open courtyard dining.

• Nor_Cal_Brad's Profile Photo

Spice House Cafe: Delicious Breakfast & Lunch

by Nor_Cal_Brad Written Jun 15, 2014

The Spice House Cafe has tasty breakfast and lunch options, with large portions and reasonable prices.

They also have a Steak and Eggs special for $10.95, which I haven't tried yet because I usually go for the Chicken Fried Steak or an omelette. Besides the delicious omelettes, I would also recommend the "Country Boy" for breakfast - biscuits topped with sausage patties and covered with country gravy, with eggs and hash browns.

Favorite Dish: The Country Chicken-Fried Steak and Eggs, with Hash Browns & biscuits and gravy is my favorite dish. The country gravy is rich and has pieces of sausage in it. The chicken-fried steak was moist with a crispy exterior, and the biscuits were soft and fluffy. I would highly recommend this dish if you want a rich, delicious and hearty meal.

Spice House Cafe Country Chicken-Fried Steak & Eggs,biscuit & gravy Recent visit - Chicken-Fried Steak & Eggs Spice House Cafe parking lot Menu at Spice House Cafe

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Living Room Coffeehouse~SDSU: Like at home!

by Yaqui Updated Mar 22, 2014

A favorite local place where folks can come to eat, relax, and study. It is a popular place of college students. I had breakfast here with my niece, sister and my grand neice and nephew. I just adore them so much and enjoy any time I can spend with them. We had breakfast here. The place is very unique, but I was not particular happy with the food. It was too bland. Yet, the company made to moment special.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Chipotle Mexican Grill: Great Food!

by Yaqui Written Mar 22, 2014

We were all a little hungry, so we ventured across the street to Chipotle. I've been to this restaurants before and never been disappointed with the taste or quailty. You will get your monies worth and the burritos are always huge. Myself and my sister split a burrito. Chipotle is not your typical fast food place at all. A very popular place with the college students.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafood: Corporate Push Seafood on Harbor Drive

by atufft Written Feb 17, 2014

Once a venerable seafood market where crab sandwiches could be bought at fair value, I'm afraid that like virtually all Shelter Island seafood restaurants, innovation and fair value have been replaced by corporate push of menu items designed to maximize profit at the expense of pride and quality. The display of Rock fish heads and filets is still impressive, even if overpriced. The location on Harbor Drive yacht harbor and esplanade is scenic and outstanding. But, the congested parking where cars seem to outnumber people is time consuming and frustrating, and when one clears the mind of the setting and evaluates

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Hopping Pig Gastropub: Here an oink, there an oink...

by goodfish Written Jan 27, 2014

If you do not like pork, come for the beer. If you do not like beer, find another place.

We landed in here late in the afternoon ‘cause we’d skipped lunch plus we’ve found it a lot easier to get the best seats/service in the off hours. Another bonus? You can often save a couple of $$ by making dinner out of happy hour menus….which is exactly what we did. A couple of pulled-pork sliders apiece ($2.50 each at time of this writing), a shared plate of sweet potato fries and a couple of pints apiece did us just fine, and our barstools on the sidewalk terrace provided fun people watching while waiting for our order.

They have 32 local brews on tap, another couple dozen or so in the bottle, and a looooong happy hour from 11:30 AM - 7:00 PM. Full bar; small plates; burgers; a handful of entrees (a few of the oink-less variety); a couple of soups and salads round out the menu. The bar/dining room area is attractively rustic but small and apt to be noisy on a busy night, and I read that service can be offhand but no complaints here.

• Beer Tasting

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Casa de Reyes: Olé, ya'll!

by goodfish Written Dec 30, 2013

Dining anywhere that’s smack in the middle of a tourist area is usually to be avoided at all costs but we were hungry and this looked like fun so we bit. Casa de Reyes is located in Old Town’s version of a "Little Mexico": Fiesta del Reyes. It’s an open plaza surrounded by shops, a couple of restaurants, a hotel, and a stage offering free nightly entertainment. We were seated on a pleasant terrance dotted with fountains and heaters to take off any evening chill, and promptly served up a basket of homemade chips and salsa to take the edge off while browsing the menu and waiting for margaritas to arrive.

Dinner ended up being a Hot (hot!!!) Licks Suicide Burrito for The Husband, and Enchiladas de Puerco with chile verde sauce for me. Both came with refried beans, rice and the usual accompaniments (sour cream, guacamole, etc.) and both were good enough that we wouldn’t hesitate to grab a seat here on the next trip.

The challenge with Mexican is that - just like BBQ - everyone has their own idea of what that should taste like so while I’ll recommend this one, I can’t promise that you will love it. You could also land in on the "off night" that just about every restaurant can have. If going without a reservation, eat early (as we did) to avoid a long wait: tables filled up quickly as evening set in. Kids will love the bright colors and activity, and there’s a “Little Amigos" menu just for them so bring the tots.

Open daily for lunch and dinner.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Candela's Coronado AKA Bay Beach Cafe: A Magnificent View of SD Skyline!

by lmkluque Updated Dec 18, 2013

This was once known as Bay Beach Cafe and had an atmosphere of sailing life.

Now it is a Mexican restaurant uniquely offering a Nouvelle cuisine. Located on the northeast shore of Coronado Island, on the San Diego Bay side, this restaurant has a wonderful view of the San Diego skyline and is just off the Ferry Boat Landing Pier. Which means that you can take the Ferry from downtown over to the Island for a nice breakfast, lunch, dinner or just have a drink and enjoy the view. (Have a look at my Coronado page to see what else there is to do while on the Island.)

The style of the place is very different than before but intriguing nonetheless.

There is also a Candela's in the downtown area near The Gaslamp:

416 3rd Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Phone: (619) 702-4455

This is located very near the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum on Fourth Avenue, at J Street.

So, there isn't a need to actually go out of town to try it, I just thought, if you took a day trip to Coronado you'd like to know about this restaurant too. Also to let people know the Bay Beach Cafe has closed.

Favorite Dish: I haven't eaten here yet but it looks interesting and if it is an elegant, fine dining experience you look for, this would be a good option. I've heard some pretty good things about Candela's but keep in mind that it is not the average Mexican cuisine you'll find here.

They do offer an Early Bird special and Happy Hour, which drops the price of things 50%. So if their menu prices are a bit much for your budget these are great ways to sample the experience of dining here.

Candelas downtown SD Candela's daytime Day Trip To Coronado Candela's at night
    • Business Travel

• ketulgandhi's Profile Photo

Olive Garden: Fantastic Minestrone soup

by ketulgandhi Written Dec 4, 2013

We went to Olive Garden at Sports Arena as it is very close to SeaWorld. Their Minestrone soup is fantastic which is included in your entree . If you ask you can get another serving of soup.
    We also liked their freshly baked garlic bread in addition to our entree.

Favorite Dish: Minestrone soup

• ketulgandhi's Profile Photo

Mongrill at Westfield UTC mall: Awesome Mongolian food

by ketulgandhi Written Dec 4, 2013

Mongrill is a Mongolian Barbeque Grill. After checking out other food court restaurants we decided to try Mongrill. The chef was nice to clean the grill upon our request as we are vegetarian. Their bowl have very generous portion size – mix of veggies and noodles. Price & quantity wise it is very economical. We would definitely go there when we are in the area.

Favorite Dish: Veggie Bowl

San Diego Chicken Pie Shop: San Diego Chicken Pie Shop

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 24, 2013

I was stopped at a stop light one Sunday at 3 PM and saw this place. What caught my attention was that people were streaming in and out of it with big bags at an off time for a restaurant so I figured it would be good. it was a heart attack on a plate but it was great.

The prices are out of the world. If you look at Yelp or Urban Spoon you will see the rating are high.

Old time 'diner' make sure you get the pie. There is a pretty big selection.

Favorite Dish: their yeast roles were fantasy worthy- chicken pot pie and the rhubarb pie was good too!

Chicken Pot pie, mashed potatoes, corn, cole slaw Rubarb pie

Grandma Tofu and Korean BBQ: Grandma Tofu and Korean BBQ

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 24, 2013

This is one of my favorite Korean Restaurants. I go for lunch and do one of their lunch specials. I like the pork and beef. At lunch they cook it for you and bring out some type of dirty rice that is wonderful. It of course comes with all sorts of side dishes.

Favorite Dish: see above

Indian Palace: Hillcrest - Indian Palace

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 24, 2013

This is my favorite Indian Restaurant in San Diego. I go for the lunch buffet which is 11:30 to 2:30. It is a good sized buffet, of good quality, $12 for all you can eat, and the place has parking. It is right off the interstate so it is easy to get to.

Oh and it has won all sorts of awards.

Favorite Dish: What is on the buffet varies - they often have samosas and buttered chicken on the menu. My favorite India dishes are palack peener, Aloo Gobi and anything Korma.

Urban MO's Bar & Grill: Urban MO's Bar & Grill

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 8, 2013

Urban Mo's Bar and Grill is in Hillcrest. Hillcrest is our version of The Castro, the gay district in San Diego and Urbon Mos's say's it is the "gayest gay bar in San Diego"

Although with that said this straight girl loves Urban Mo's and craves their hamburgers, drinks and fries. They also have good salads and a great happy hour on Mondays!

I've only been to one drag show here and it was very "family friendly" although everyone in your family will need to be 21 to get in that section at night.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

KousKous Bistro & Lounge: Yummy Moroccan food in Hillcrest

by Jefie Updated Nov 4, 2013

Since this was one of the days we were traveling by car instead of trolley, we figured we'd take advantage of our wheels to go slightly off the beaten path and hit the neighborhood of Hillcrest, known for its trendy exotic restaurants. I once again browsed through my guide's restaurant section and, always looking for an opportunity to try something different, I picked KousKous from the list of places it recommended. I was mostly attracted by the fact that this Moroccan bistro offers a selection of tapas, which would give me a chance to try different items. I ended up ordering harira soup, shak-shouka and chicken kebabs, while Sylvain decided to try the chicken tajine. Everything was excellent, including the red Morrocan wine we tried. The warm and exotic atmosphere of the bistro nicely completemented the bistro's culinary experience.

Favorite Dish: Eveything was really good, but Sylvain's chicken tajine was the best - I should know, I ate almost half of his plate!

Harira soup with shak-shouka Chicken kabobs at KousKous Bistro & Lounge Sylvain at KousKous Bistro & Lounge in San Diego
    • Wine Tasting

Latest: Jun 22, 2014
DEFUNCT Sunburst Court Inn
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

San Diego Restaurants

lmkluque's Profile Photo

The City of San Diego offers almost any type of restaurant that anyone might want to choose. Fine dining, Family dining, Seafood, Meat, Chicken, Vegetarian, Ethnic of almost every description and...

Map of San Diego