Marketplace Grille, San Diego

MARKETPLACE GRILLE
  • Sophie1980's Profile Photo

Marketplace Grille: Waitress with attitude

by Sophie1980 Written Jun 11, 2004

Located in the Gaslamp Quarter, the MG serves all kinds of salads - Greek, Caesar, spinach and feta cheese - to which you can add chicken, salmon or prawn. Seafood, lamb, and chicken dishes, whcih come with rice, salad and bread. I enjoyed my Greek salad, but was put off by the moody waitress who was overly suggesting that I should add salmon to my salad (for an extra $8). I think she was also pissed that me and friend only had tap water too. He he, can't take the student out of me.
    Thought it was too expensive for the food and service we got, even though the setting was nice with the outside table we had. Notice restaurants a few doors down that looked a lot more inviting and were a lot cheaper. (My meal cost me $14 for a Greek salad and tap water).

Favorite Dish: None - though the salad was good, it's certainly not the best I've had. Next time II want a G salad, 'll head back to Halchidiki.

Marketplace Grille: Don't miss Mexican food

by matcrazy1 Updated May 17, 2004

MEXICAN  DISH

Whenever you are in San Diego you should taste delicious Mexican food there. There is only one question: is it really Mexican or American-Mexican? I do think that it's much easier to find real Mexican food in San Diego than in any other city in the USA - no wander, there are very many Mexican immigrants living there and it's a USA-Mexico border city.
    Never mind - it tastes delicious, just ask always to avoid too spicy dishes if you don't like them.

From Chris (balfor) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA:
    Is it really Mexican food or American/Mexican? The answer is yes.... Most of the foods that we consider Mexican are from northern Mexico and the southern part of the U.S. You will also hear this style of food referred to as Tex-Mex, though that is a bit different. Also you will find in many mexican restaurants something called ceviche (I THINK that's how it is spelled) which is a seafood relish with the fish "cooked" with lemon and/or lime juice along with minced vegetables. This is from the coastal regions of Mexico. And you can find authentic mexican food all over the U.S. We have an very large population of Mexicans in the U.S. and in every city there will be restaurants that cater to the people who are first or second generation Americans. If you want the good food, find a Mexican restaurant where you are the only caucasin in the place! (and if you're really lucky, you might find a place where grandma doesn't speak any english so she has to go get her grand-daughter to take your order!)
    Thank you Chris!

On May 14, 2004 I received an e-mail from VT member abkindness from San Diego:
    Marketplace Grille's menu has changed. Two of the tips don't reflect the new menu and style. In one of your reviews, you refer to them with Mexian food which is wrong.
    This is a fantastic restaurant and needs to be represented correctly.

Favorite Dish: A few common Mexican dishes:
    Burrito - large flour tortilla wrapped around a filling
    Tortilla - a thin, flat bread made from wheat flour or corn masa
    Salsa - Sauce. Usually, refers to a tomato-based condiment used to dip or to accent dishes. If the salsa is uncooked, as in Pico De Gallo, it is referred to as "salsa cruda." If it is processed, in Tex Mex lingo, this is called "chile." If cooked and then bottled, this is called "picante"

Marketplace Grille: Grilled food, not expensive

by matcrazy1 Updated May 17, 2004

MARKETPLACE  GRILLE

Walking around Gaslamp Quarter we were looking for a place (outside = to watch people hehe) to sit down and eat something local = Mexican food.
    There were not many restaurants with tables outside that time (11 April). But we finally found one free small table in Marketplace Grille - they serve a lot of grilled food like American steaks there and of course Mexican food. Very nice service.

On May 14, 2004 I received an e-mail from VT member abkindness from San Diego:
    This is a fantastic restaurant and needs to be represented correctly.

Favorite Dish: Mexican plat - 1 was enough for 2, not very hungry persons :-).

• Marketplace Grille: Absolutely fantastic Grilled food!

by abkindness Written May 14, 2004

We sat on the patio and had a wonderful time. Our waiter suggested a fantastic bottle of wine, and we enjoyed a Mediterranean Sampler. Since there were four of us, we each tried a different entree. Each one was fantastic as we shared bites. My lamb was grilled to perfection and the grilled vegetables were fabulous. We are now regular customers!

Favorite Dish: Can't choose just one...but the hummus is addictive!

Marketplace Grill: Taste before you enter

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 7, 2003

How do you call his job?

You can taste some food before entering Marketplace Grill - this guy on my picture (how would you call him in English) invited people to go inside.

From Chris (balfor):
    How do we call the guy handing out samples in front of a restaurant to entice you inside? Generally we call him/her the poor sap who has to stand outside giving out samples.... I'm sure that there is a name for that function, but I've never heard it!
    Thank you Chris!

Marketplace Grill: Fire Rock

by matcrazy1 Updated May 28, 2003

FIRE  ROCK  PALE  ALE

When I am relaxed and I am free of driving I usually try to taste the next, unknown for me and rather rare kind of a beer. Hmmm... usually I don't find anything great.
    I tasted a Mexican Fire Rock (what a name hehe) Pale Ale by Kona Brewing Co and it wasn't my favourite one but... Mexican food was good, place and service great.

• Beer Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Marketplace Grill: What is a burrito?

by matcrazy1 Updated May 28, 2003

BURRITO

Burrito is a large flour tortilla wrapped around a filling - you can easily find it in each Mexican restaurant - look at my picture.

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near Marketplace Grille
4.0 out of 5 stars