Miguel's Cocina, San Diego

4 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

4 Locations to choose from in San Diego County (619) 437-4237

Miguel's Cocina in the Old Town area
    by Jefie
  • Huge fiesta salad with a glass of sangria
    Huge fiesta salad with a glass of...
    by Jefie
    Calamari and shrimp
    by Dabs
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Miguel's Cocina: Good Mexican place in Old Town San Diego

by Jefie Updated Nov 2, 2013

When we hit Old Town San Diego, I once again looked though my guide to see which restaurants they recommended. Having been amazed by the food we'd had so far, I didn't hesitate to follow their advice once more and made my way to Miguel's Cocina. The salsa and cheese dip they brought over as soon as we sat down were excellent, so I had a feeling we were off to a good start. I ordered the fiesta salad and it was huge!! To me it looked and tasted more like Tex-Mex than actual Mexican food, but I still enjoyed it very much and almost made it through the gigantic tortilla bowl it was served in. So as far as food goes, I'd give this place two thumbs up, but I'm not so sure about the atmosphere. It was quite lively, but it felt like the kind of place that welcomes a lot of cruise ship and tour bus groups so it was all a tad impersonal. When I walked through Old Town I saw many places that seemed to offer an ambience more to my liking, but who's to say I would have enjoyed the food? So all in all, I guess it wasn't a bad choice, it just wasn't my best dining experience in San Diego.

Huge fiesta salad with a glass of sangria Miguel's Cocina in the Old Town area

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Zocalo Grill: Higher end Mexican in Old Town

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

For my 2nd night in Old Town, I selected Zocalo Grill for dinner, a little higher end than Old Town Mexican Cafe. I booked an earlier time slot for dinner than the night before and it wasn't busy at all. I had a table on the patio, Zocalo Grill is at the end of the tourist stretch of San Diego Avenue so you can do a little people watching during dinner. They have overhead patio heaters which at the beginning were way too warm but as the evening progressed and the temperature dropped it became more comfortable.

The service here was very friendly and quick, they were doing a promotion with Brazil and mojitos and the young lady who was doing the promoting stopped by and we chatted a bit and she gave me some beads and a Mardi Gras mask to take home as souvenirs.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a couple of appetizers instead of a main dish, Queso "Fun"dido ($9) with carnitas, peppers and onion served with a rainbow of multi colored tortilla chips and crispy harina masa fried shrimp and calamari ($10). The Queso "Fun"dido was good, the portion size a bit small for the price. The other appetizer was a bit short on the shrimp, I think there might have been two very small ones and the calamari was OK but not nearly as good as the calamari I had at Point Loma Seafood or at The Tin Fish. The mojitos were on special for $5 and were very good.

I liked this place better than the Old Town Mexican Cafe but wasn't overwhelmed with the food and thought it was a bit expensive for the portion size. 4 stars for the service and atmosphere, 3 stars for the food

Queso Calamari and shrimp Patio at Zocalo Grill

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Miguel's Cocina: Relaxing Casual Meal at Miguel's

by orcoastgirl Written Feb 9, 2007

The ambiance here is very casual, we dined out on the patio and our service was very warm and friendly. The food is gorgeous in presentation and there is Mexican music playing to add to the ambiance. It is located in the heart of the courtyard at the El Cordova Hotel.

Favorite Dish: The chicken enchiladas are very good and the Mexican Creme Brulle was perfect!

Creme Brulee with Warm Churros Enchiladas Buritto

• Chiky's Profile Photo

Miguel's: Best hole in the wall Restaurant EVER!

by Chiky Written Oct 31, 2004

It's a little Mexican restaurant that serves superb food with a super authentic feel. You'll have to search for it though because even some of the people who worked at the plaza it's located in, couldn't tell us quite where it was. At the traffic light acrross from The Hotel Del is a little plaza looking place with restaurants and shops. It's just inside the "alley" on the right.

Favorite Dish: I can't even remember what I had but it was delicious!!

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near Miguel's Cocina
4.0 out of 5 stars