Point Loma Seafoods, San Diego

by tampa_shawn
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafood: Corporate Push Seafood on Harbor Drive

by atufft Written Feb 17, 2014

Once a venerable seafood market where crab sandwiches could be bought at fair value, I'm afraid that like virtually all Shelter Island seafood restaurants, innovation and fair value have been replaced by corporate push of menu items designed to maximize profit at the expense of pride and quality. The display of Rock fish heads and filets is still impressive, even if overpriced. The location on Harbor Drive yacht harbor and esplanade is scenic and outstanding. But, the congested parking where cars seem to outnumber people is time consuming and frustrating, and when one clears the mind of the setting and evaluates

• tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafood: Point Loma Seafood. Good Eats on the water

by tampa_shawn Written Nov 11, 2013

I went to Point Loma Seafood because I had heard of it several times and it's ratings on Yelp were through the roof. Given it's location on the water I expected a fancy upscale place what I got instead was a huge local hangout that has so many people going in and out they need a parking attendant to direct the traffic.

San Diego doesn't really do fast food and in some strange way this is our version.

The parking lot is so busy it is crazy so the parking attendant will direct you in. Then you will walk into what is essentially a giant fresh fish counter. I actually walked around the place a few times trying to figure out what was going on. The fish is so fresh there is no smell and if you walk around the building like I did you will see that they bring and prepare the fish right there fresh off the boats.

You can get fresh fish or a meal. You order at the fish counter, pay and are handed a number. When your number is called you get your dinner on a plastic tray and find your way to the indoor or outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: I got the crab cakes. I have been told the local dish is the crab cake sandwich. Everyone also gets a loaf of bread here. There are a lot of varieties. It's fresh and inexpensive. Everyone seemed to be ordering the lemon aid too.

• winnietankl's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafood: Great seafood

by winnietankl Updated Apr 4, 2011

I must say i like it here as i can ordered the fresh seafood and they will fried it straight away for you. The cod fish that i had was so fresh and delicious. You can take out or eat outside the restaurant. Good atmoshere and great view too. The business hours are Mon-Thu: 9am-6.30pm, Fri-Sat: 9am-7pm, Sunday: 10am-7pm.

• jeanie95tt's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods: Fresh Casual Seafood

by jeanie95tt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Point Loma Seafood was our first stop after arriving at the airport. The ordering counter is a bit hectic and confusing because there's no line, just go up to the first available person to order. The place is a raw seafood market as well as restaurant. The display case showcases very fresh raw seafood, and is fun to look at while waiting for your food. I tried the special of the day - soft-shelled crab sandwich, and my husband had the regular crab sandwich. We also tried the clam chowder in a bread bowl as well as the shrimp cocktail. Both crab sandwiches were very tasty, although I thought they could've been a little less salty. The clam chowder was superb. The size of the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail was a little disappointing - they are very small, but the taste was great. And the cocktail sauce was spectacular as well. The outdoors picnic tables were full so we sat in the dining room, which might as well have been outdoors since there were huge windows. The view of the harbor was nice, and overall it was an awesome first stop on our San Diego adventure!

• jhoolko's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods: The Best Shrimp Sandwich in the World!

by jhoolko Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is a San Diego institution. Go on a sunny day and good luck getting in the parking lot or finding a table. It will be packed, but it's always worth it. Get the shrimp sandwich, it's fried prawns on the softest warm sourdough you've ever had (not the same as what they sell there by the loaf) with a little bit of tartar sauce. Sounds simple, but I swear it's one of a kind. Grab some fries and a lemonade if you're really hungry, then take a seat in the salty dining area or just walk down to the docks for a more scenic option. Just watch out for the seagulls. Seriously.

Favorite Dish: The shrimp sandwich is one of my favorite foods of all time.

• Point Loma Seafoods: Don't be intimidated by the line

by histrionia62 Updated Apr 4, 2011

When you walk in the door, you'll be aghast at the crowd on most days. Don't be deterred! Look a little closer and you'll see 10-12 employees behind the counter moving like lightning to keep the customers moving through, and you'll enjoy watching their speed and enthusiasm while you do wait. The seafood is super fresh - take some home or grab one of the their combo plates or sandwiches. Everything is good. When I hit town, I drive straight to Point Loma and get me a crab sandwich!

Favorite Dish: Crab sandwich - gobs of crab, creamy dressing, and super fresh sourdough bread

Point Loma Seafoods

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods: Fresh seafood

by Dabs Updated Nov 8, 2008

2nd visit October 2008

I almost passed on eating at Point Loma Seafood, I had already had lunch and it wasn't quite yet dinner time but a friendly local I met at Cabrillo National Monument said I just had to go try one of their calamari sandwiches. "Is it fried?" I asked, thinking that these healthy Californians would never fry their calamari and that I was not going to be compelled to go there. "Yes, it's fried", he said almost apologetically before offering to have me follow him there in my car. You had me at fried....

Favorite Dish: Well, I'm glad I stopped as this was the best thing I ate in San Diego, strips of tender calamari, fried and layered on top of sourdough bread with a slathering of tangy tartar sauce, I was in heaven!

Point Loma Seafoods is mostly about selling fresh fish to people who are going to take it home and cook it themselves but they do have quite a listing of seafood plates and sandwiches that you can order and eat on the outdoor patio or in a small seating area inside.

Note that they are only open until 6:30 pm so it's a place for lunch or an early dinner. Or in my case a mid afternoon snack and major damage to my diet...And it's very busy on the weekend, there was a queue to park on our 2nd visit but there's someone in the lot directing traffic and most people are only making a brief stop so be patient, it's worth the wait!

Calamari sandwich Point Loma Seafoods

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods.: Fresh Catch of the Day.

by razorbacker Written May 9, 2008

Fresh seafood and deli. A hit with locals.

Favorite Dish: Crab meat sandwich. It's real fresh crab, not this processed crap. I'm not that great a seafood fanatic, but Brenda is, and she thought it was excellent. My friend, Jason Windish, recommended it and sang its praises. There are LOTS of other alternatives though.

You bet I'm fresh! Seafood heaven.
    • Beaches

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods: Fresh Seafood

by Hopkid Written Jan 17, 2006

Point Loma Seafoods is really a seafood market but you can also order seafood sandwiches, sashimi, and some of the best clam chowder you'll ever taste. You go in and take a number at the counter that hovers over a huge, long display case of a variety of fresh seafoods. There are tables outside where you can eat your food. Don't forget the smoked fishes as well. Very tasty!

This is an affordable place to eat with some of the freshest seafood to boot!

Favorite Dish: Clam chowder (white), smoked fish

%i Photo from www.plsf.com

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafoods: You want fresh fish? You GOT great fish!

by mesoblonda Written May 5, 2004

Selection, selection, selection! Busy, busy, busy! Not in a touristy area of San Diego, but well known and loved by the locals, so it's crowded.

One the water (marina) in Point Loma, the seafood here is great! I love to sit outside on the patio and soak up the sun while I eat.

If you want to cook at home, you may have a difficult time decided which fish to buy...the selection is huge!

**TRY THEIR SMOKED FISH**

Favorite Dish: No favorite, I love everything on the menu. No matter what you order, you can't go wrong.

• ycnan's Profile Photo

Point Loma Seafood: Marine Life

by ycnan Written Dec 7, 2002

This is actually a seafood deli, with any kind of seafood you might think of and some you may not recognize. It's a take-a-number place where you eat out on the patio overlooking the fishing boats.

Favorite Dish: Crab cakes, Crab Louie, Smoked fish, Sushi, Fish and Chips--in a word: fresh, fresh, fresh (is that three words?)

• gpacurar's Profile Photo

Pt. Loma Seafood: Pt. Loma Seafood

by gpacurar Written Aug 26, 2002

The place is always...ALWAYS...crowded. When you walk in, go right up to the counter. The majority of the people standing around have already placed their orders.

It is a walkup counter type of place where you order your food, then you can take it outside and eat on the dock overlooking the fishing boats coming and going.

Favorite Dish: Everything is great. All of the fish is fresh, the clam chowder is incredible, the smoked fish selection is huge and the crab sandwiches are enormous.

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near Point Loma Seafoods
4.0 out of 5 stars