San Diego Pier Café, San Diego

by brdwtchr
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

San Diego Pier Cafe: Dine over the Bay

by lmkluque Updated Jan 7, 2013

This restaurant was one of my favorites and a treat to all my visitors when I was able to go out to eat often.

The pier sits on stilts in the Bay of San Diego and from almost every table there is a view of some part of the Bay. It is located in Seaport Village, a popular tourist spot in the downtown area of San Diego. However, it is not only tourists that come here for a meal. My preference is sitting outside. The decor is nautical with simple blues and grays. The food is good, the service is good and the view accompanied by the fresh ocean breeze is wonderful.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Seafood Grill, New England Clam Chowder, Oysters on the half shell, Stuffed Mushrooms and a nice California Wine were my favorite items from the menu.

Update:

They've changed things a bit and no longer offer the Seafood Grill at lunch time, only at dinner and Oysters on the half shell are gone completley now. Also, there seems to be a turn towards more Mexican flavors in some of the dishes.

I will tell you that besides the view and ambience, it was the Stuffed Mushrooms and New England Clam Chowder I came here for.

There are plenty of other dishes to choose from, including beef, chicken, vegetarian and a kid's menu, so I'm sure you'll find something that will please you too.

Restaurant on Stilts
    • Business Travel

• gfhugh's Profile Photo

POISONED!!!

by gfhugh Written Dec 28, 2012

My wife was POISONED 12/26/12 by their breakfast burrito.
    Up all night with diarrhea and heaves.
    When she cut into the half she brought home there was green mold inside.
    I emailed the restaurant but got no reply,
    so I've notified the California Department of Public Health.

See the mold picture below

Mold in egg from sandwich

• Manara's Profile Photo

San Diego Pier Cafe: A landmark since 1980

by Manara Updated Nov 6, 2009

Before my first trip to San Diego, in 2003, I saved some tips from VT and I went to the Pier Cafe because it was recommended by lmkluque, a member who lives in this city. I liked it very much, so it was obvious that I would return.
    Its location is really unique, as well as the view. Wherever you sit, you have a view of the harbour, through the glass walls.
    However, my main reason for going back to this restaurant was the excellent food.

Favorite Dish: On my latest trip I had dinner there. My main course was one of the chef's specials: seabass. I had a small salad before it, and a pint of Ballast Point, a very good local beer. At the end I had no room left for a dessert, it was a pity, because the Pieramisu (which I had tried previously) is delicious.

• dgines's Profile Photo

San Diego Pier Cafe: Don't Miss this one!

by dgines Written May 2, 2009

Looking for ambience and great food? You'll find both at Pier Cafe. Great for a romantic dinner or a small get together.

Favorite Dish: Chef's Salmon Special Dinner (Ask for no onions if you don't like them. The avocado guacomole contains very strong red onions.)

• iclee's Profile Photo

San Diego Pier Cafe: Splendid view with very good food

by iclee Written Jan 6, 2009

We tried this restaurant because it was walking distance from our hotel (Grand Hyatt Manchester) in the Seaport Village. Judging from my hotel window, this area has lots of parking space. I wanted a cool panoramic view of the pier and Coronado Bridge, comfort food and this fit the need.

A cheery lady served our dinner with just the right amount of attentiveness. We had the Crab Cakes ($11.50) Salmon Coronado (23.95), Fish & Chips (15.95) and the 1/2 lb. Cafe Burger (13.25) with the blue FishBowl (14.95)drink. I wanted to try dessert but we were too full after the main course. My daughter had fun watching the different boats coast by. For us, adults, it was a bit romantic watching the orange glow of the sun setting. By the way, they offer periodical specials posted near the restaurant entrance.

We felt each blast of cold wind since we opted to sit beside the glass paned windows last May. We wanted to walk to nearby Gas Lamp area for coffee and ice cream but eventually opted to stay indoors. It may be the wind blast or just being too lazy after a hefty meal. :)

Favorite Dish: Salmon Coronado with Guacamole and Rice Pilaf. I like fresh fish a lot (must be due to my dieting option). If you serve it fresh, you won't mess anything.

Family fun with Coronado Bridge view

• BR0WND0G's Profile Photo

The San Diego Pier Cafe in...

by BR0WND0G Updated Aug 25, 2002

The San Diego Pier Cafe in Seaport Village (Downtown) has a large selection of seafood. Since it's next to the fishing docks, most of the seafood here is brought over by hand right off the boat.

Also: Georges at the Cove, Trattoria Aqua, Croce's, The Corvette Diner (eat a Rory burger), The Kansas City BBQ, Qwigs, The Green Flash.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Ate at two restaurants in...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Ate at two restaurants in Seaport Village. In the photo is the San Diego Pier Cafe. I had lunch there and shared my french fries with the gulls. Took my wife to the Edgewater Grill for supper one evening. Both restaurants are close to each other near the water. Of the two the Edgewater had better service.
    Dining with a view of the bay and great atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Every thing I tried was good.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

San Diego Pier Café: Watch the boats go by ...

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Favorite Dish: One of several restaurants-with-a-view at Seaport Village. Seafood takes, obviously, center stage here.

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near San Diego Pier Café
4.0 out of 5 stars