The Prado, San Diego

by winnietankl
  • winnietankl's Profile Photo

The Prado: Best Spanish restaurant in town

by winnietankl Written Jul 25, 2010

The Prado is located at Balboa Park. It is set in the rich landscape and finely manicured gardens. I must say that this is the best restaurant, good atmoshere and the best spanish food i ever had. Thanks to my VT friend, Jim who gave me this opportunity to try out the greatest food over here.

• neurochic's Profile Photo

The Prado: Nice Place to have a snack!

by neurochic Written Nov 14, 2005

Entrance to the Prado

The Prado is a famous fancy restaurant in Balboa Park. But if you are like me and want to see what all the hype is about, but you are traveling alone and don't want to look like a geek alone in a fancy restaurant and to beat the wait and crowds have dinner on the deck. The atmosphere here is not as stuffy but be ready to feel yourself up at a different place later. Maybe this is how Californians eat, but this Midwestern girl needed a little more substanance. The deck serves appetizers and small soups and salads as well as dessert. The hommous that they serve is awesome. Nice place to have a bite, literally I mean bite.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

The Prado: Interesting, tasty food - Killer Sangria

by TempNomad Written Feb 28, 2005

I had a lovely black bean soup and the vegetarian sushi (eggplant wrapped around goat cheese and other good things). Both were very good. However, the sangria is what really got me. The waiter advised against the pitcher - thank goodness! One glass and we were just dandy to go admire the park on foot. Wow.

We were seated outside with the heaters, and the staff was very pleasant. The one drawback was that several planes seemed to want to drown out our conversation. I don't know if it was because of the storms, or if it's always in the flight path.

Favorite Dish: Can I say Sangria as my favorite dish??

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Prado: A Place To Relax

by lmkluque Updated Mar 13, 2012

Table and chairs are placed here just outside the entrance and though I'm sure they are meant for use by the bar patrons, we were permitted to sit here while drinking a coffee purchased at a kiosk just around the corner, which is pretty generous of them. Of course, hadf the restaurant been busy, our sitting there would, understandably, not have been allowed.

Parking is free, but finding a space near is difficult. Some days there are pedicabs roaming the lots and for a price will wheel you to the restaurant. After 5:00 p.m. valet service is offered.

The 'courtyard' area, is located behind the restaurant and is a lovely place to eat on a bright summer's day.

The dining room closes lunch off at 3:00 p.m. and opens for dinner at 5:00 p.m. However, these hours are extended in the Lounge.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine of The Prado is said to be "Latin-Italian fusion." I'd say it's more "Eclectic/International"

The price range is on the high side, but for those of you on a budget, I'd suggest Happy Hour here. The drinks are less expensive than during meal times and the appetizers can be shared and serve as a light meal. Plus, it's generally a quieter time of day for the restaurant so can be a peaceful repose.

If you happen to be here during meal times and would like to at least see this restaurant, but can't afford a meal, I'd suggest stopping in for a drink. The lounge combines a tapas menu with a wide variety of margaritas and other beverages at their full service bar. More expensive than Happy Hour, but not as price-y as a full meal.

• Business Travel

• The Prado: Unique dishes

by sunnytraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were here for lunch and what a great experience. We sat outdoors overlooking the gardens. The menu was vast enough to serve many tastes but was able to offer unique dishes as well. The service was superb. The servers were able to recommend a number of dishes and compliments to them, and they were attentive enough without being overbearing. For the service, setting and food the price of lunch was very inexpensive.

Favorite Dish: The mixed vegetable sushi roll was spectacular. Good blend of herbs and vegetables. Be sure to spread a little sorbet on your sushi roll.

• The Prado: Great Food

by qleo Written Jun 24, 2004

The El Prado Restaurant in historic Balboa Park offers hospitality with fantastic architecture.

Favorite Dish: The seared ahi with argula has a unique blend of smokiness and spice. I highly recommend this dish if you like seafood. The Spinach salad is heavenly too.

Instant Answers: San Diego