On The Beach, San Diego

Know about this? Rate It!

Kayaking
  • neurochic's Profile Photo

Sea Kayaking in La Jolla Caves

by neurochic Written Nov 15, 2005

Going into A Cave

Sea Kayaking was a lot of fun. I first tried sea kayaking in Thailand and have been hooked ever since. In La Jolla, many outfitters can set you up for a tour through the La Jolla caves that line the coastline of the shore. They are these beautiful caverns where you can see small crabs climb up the walls and they even have a history of being involved in helping bootleggers hide whiskey during prohibition. Be careful that you go with a company that has an experienced guide and I wouldn't recommend this activity if you don't know how to swim. Definitely make sure when you are out to wear a life vest and helmet because it is very easy to be tipped in the kayak especially when trying to maneuver in the caves. In one cave the bottom of my kayak got caught on top of a rock near the coastline and then a big wave came crashing through the cave while I was trying to paddle off the rock. Needless to say my kayak was taken by the wave and then flipped right on top of my guides kayak and then I fell out of the kayak into the ocean and hit my head on a rock and bruised and scratched my arm and leg over the rocks. If it weren't for my helmet, I could have been pretty hurt. My first trip by myself and I almost killed myself. Also while out in the ocean you will see wildlife, including pelicans, sea lions bathing in the sun on the cave formations and even tiger sharks swimming under your kayaks. If you are truly adventuresome at the end of your tour have your instructor show you how to sea kayak surf which was almost as fun as the tour itself.

• Kayaking

• RowanGBR's Profile Photo

Peace after the Storm

by RowanGBR Updated Jun 5, 2003
    San Diego Rowing Club

Time for contemplation after finishing the race.

It is amazing what a 180 degree turn can do to a view!

• ycnan's Profile Photo

Anything and everything, except snow

by ycnan Written Sep 20, 2002

Checking out the surf

San Diego is a sports culture town. People here take their sports very seriously.

Equipment: Anything you need, you can rent.

• Beaches