Other Sports, San Diego

Know about this? Rate It!

Team Fusion Go!
    by Yaqui
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

San Diego Sports Arena

by Yaqui Updated Oct 11, 2008

My Son is a green belt, but at the time he was a blue belt. He was on the demo team for our local Karate studio. They came in third place. They did so good, and we are all so proud of them. The event was held at the San Diego Sports Arena. It holds all kinds of events. Lots of parking and plenty of seatting. It was very easy to find and our hotel was right across the street. So everyone was decked out in the Gi's and we all walked together from the hotel.

Office is on the north side
    Hours: M-F 8:30am - 5:30pm

History: The roar of 11,682 professional hockey fans gave birth to San Diego Sports Arena (formerly, the San Diego International Sports Center) on November 17, 1966, as the San Diego Gulls-then of the Western Hockey League-won their home opener in a 4-to-1 victory against the Seattle Totems.http://www.sandiegoarena.com/history.php

• Architecture
    • Theme Park Trips

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Amateur softball

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2004

Eastlake High School athletic field

Sean and I set off early for Eastlake High School in his open-air Jeep Wrangler. By that time of day, it started to get real cool. This is really normal weather for the San Diego area, but I was spoiled by the warm evenings from Monday to Thursday. I wore shorts out of force of habit and I felt like I was going to freeze my bohunkus off.

The softball game with a lot of Sean's colleagues started badly with Sean's team (the Mad Dawgs) behind 0-6. After Debbie and the girls got there, the Dawgs finally scored some points. I moved around a lot because it got even cooler after sunset. The game was over soon with Sean's team losing 5-11. I was cold, and, by the time the game ended, hungry. Sean's team mates lingered there for no apparent reason. Savannah and Holly played with a dog named Bubba. I did have the pleasure of meetingone of the team members, Brandy- originally of Phenix City, Alabama. She is good looking and she was the only one around there that talked normally.

Finally, it was time to go. Holly wanted to ride in Sean's open-air Jeep Wrangler- Savannah rode home in Debbie's sheltered Jeep Cherokee. Sean, Holly, and I left well before the others. On arriving to the complex, we passed under a porch where a family was having a wild party, drunk, and singing off-key songs in Korean.

On entering the flat, I had my mind set on grilled chicken breast and the snaps (cooked with bacon). I was so hungry I could eat a horse and chase the rider- I didn't even bother to warm up either the chicken or the snaps.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Going golfing with Sean

by b1bob Updated Mar 17, 2003

Cottonwood @ Rancho San Diego

COTTONWOOD at RANCHO SAN DIEGO: I am about as bad at golf as anybody can get (at least I admit it), nevertheless, I am interested in golf because that's what my friend Sean likes to do. We took a golf cart and Sean's foursome was off. They were Sean, Jay, Bob, and Lanie (all but Sean in their 50's). Bob was right quiet, therefore I never got to know too much about him. Lanie is quite the opposite. She likes to talk even more than I do. They had to quiet her down before others were making their shots. She has a friendly personality. According to Sean, Jay is all hat and no cattle. To hear him talk, you would think he is Arnold Palmer or something like that, but in terms of his tournament handicap, he is on a par with Sean (who, at that time, was average). Sean had a disappointing day by his standards, but he did make some impressive shots. For example, he hit one 175 yards over a bridge, across a stream, and straight onto the green. I visualised the ball either ricocheting off the bridge or falling into the stream. However, it landed in a picture perfect way on the green for a good score on a difficult hole.

• Golf

• acemj's Profile Photo

Del Mar Racetrack

by acemj Updated Jan 28, 2006

I've never actually been to a race here, but the track is located at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, so I used to see it every year while visiting the fair. If you're interested in horse racing and you're in San Diego during the short season (July through September), come check it out. Racing schedules and directions can be found at the website below.

• dgines's Profile Photo

Need Swim Lessons before hitting the Beach?

by dgines Updated May 31, 2010

If you need swim lessons before hitting the beach or want to improve your form before the next triathlon, Floaties is your place. Okay so the first time you walk in and notice 15-20 kids in the pool, you may start to worry about sanitation from peeing in the pool or god forbid "floaties" in the pool (sorry I had to go there), but the pool is both saline and chlorine cleaned besides where else are you going to find a pool so warm it's like swimming in bath water.

Adult swim lessons are only on Monday and Friday evening, but Stephano will get you swimming in a matter of a a few lessons.

Equipment: A swim suit, goggles and a towel!

• ketulgandhi's Profile Photo

Dine and watch ice skating

by ketulgandhi Written Dec 4, 2013

Our kids had a blast watching ice skating. We did not enough time to do ice skating as we had to rush back home. But we will be going there for sure during our future San Diego trip. This was more fun and better menu options for us than Dine with Shamu.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

USA Olympic Training Center

by lmkluque Updated Dec 13, 2013

It took quite a bit of effort on the part of local business people but finally a site in Chula Vista was chosen and given as a gift from the San Diego National Sports Training Foundation, a group of SD business and community leaders, and volunteers who raised the funds to build this Official Olympic Training Center in June of 1995. The facility is located at the far east end of Chula Vista just before you get to the Lower Otay Reservoir in San Diego County. It is actually skirting the Lake in some sections. One of the buildings is situated on the banks of the lake.

This warm weather, year-round campus is also home to the athletes while in training. Guided and self-guided tours are offered Saturday and Sunday and oftentimes the guide is one of the resident athletes. This visit the tour guide was Josiah Jamison, a Paralympic gold medalist.

The sports typically trained here are archery, BMX, canoe/kayak, cycling, field hockey, rowing, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field and triathlon. Olympic, Paralympic, Youth Olympic, Pan American and Parapan American Games are all supported by the USOC and though the tours are free, donations are always welcomed or shop in the Athlete store.

Even if the sports are not so interesting to you, a tour of the facility is quite informative and entertaining.

Equipment: Good Walking shoes and a jacket if the day is cool. It can become quite windy out here on cool days.

• Photography
    • Kayaking

• mrserious's Profile Photo

Outdoor Ice Skating!

by mrserious Written Jan 6, 2004
    Skating Rink Outdoors San Diego

When I was in San Diego In December I was surprised to find an outdoor skating rink downtown. Coming from Canada I thought San Diego was to warm for it, but thanks to modern technology they made an artificial ice surface there.

Equipment: Ice skates.

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

Golfing at Torrey Pines

by Frisbeeace Written May 17, 2004
    Torrey Pines

Torrey Pines is a wonderful public course right by the ocean. Views are amazing while you play close to the cliffs. It is located between La Jolla and Del Mar. There are two Championship 18-hole golf courses, the North course and the South course. Both courses are played by the PGA TOUR professionals during the Buick Invitational of California held each year in February. Torrey Pines South was redesigned in 2001 by Rees Jones and recently chosen to host the 2008 United States Open Championship.

• nick723's Profile Photo

Frisbee Golf?!

by nick723 Written Aug 4, 2005

Well it's hardier to tell you about this odd new sport than it is to show, but take frizbie, golf, hroseshoes and put them to gether! the gold is to make the frisbee hit the chain trashcan like pole! sounds like it would be fun atfer drinking a few cokes* =)

• Golf

• Deep Sea Fishing

by kennethdwebster Written Aug 17, 2006

We love to go deep sea fishing off of San Diego. We plan and prepare every year for this adventure. Daily I check the fishing reports and get excited about the huge catches everyone is experiencing. Last year we didn't do too well but were told if we went on a two day trip we would get into better waters. So we saved the extra money and made extra arrangements to be away longer. Unfortunately, we still had a low fishing catch. We still had fun even though we were disappointed. The really bad part was when we got home and checked the fishing report for our trip. To our surprise we were reported to have caught many more fish than we knew about. We have emailed the charter for an explanation but have had no response. Be CAREFUL, if you pick your charter based on their fishing report they might be lying just like the boys on the "Old Number 7 Sportfishing" boat from Marina Cortez, San Diego.

• Fishing

• trotador's Profile Photo

FISHING

by trotador Written Sep 14, 2003

There are many people crazy about fishing in San Diego. I liked to go fishing just for "driving" the boat.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Municipal Gymnasium

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 3, 2003

Municipal Gymnasium

It's a public recreation center:
    Facilities