Surfing, San Diego

Know about this? Rate It!

Emergency Sign at this Spot
    by trotador
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

A Royal Sport

by lmkluque Updated Oct 2, 2011

Every day of the year, in San Diego, there are suffers riding the waves at the beaches where surfing is allowed. The Pacific Ocean is usually cool but that doesn't stop lovers of this sport.

San Diego Coast line has played an important role in surfing history in California. San Onofre, Corona del Mar, Windansea and The Tijuana Sloughs in Imperial Beach are among the list of favorites for the professional surfer. If however, you are a novice surfer there is plenty of room for you too.

Equipment: There are surf shops all along the beach area where you can rent/buy surf boards, wet suits or a number of other water sports items.

There are also places in San Dieog that you can go to take lessons, or even have a surfboard designed especially for you.

Surfing at Ocean Beach Pier
    • School Holidays
    • Beaches

• neurochic's Profile Photo

Surfs Up!

by neurochic Updated Jun 15, 2006

Ok I'm a girl from Michigan so I know nothing about surfing, except that is was SO MUCH FUN! There are so many surfing companies that for about $60 you can get a private 1 hour instruction which is pretty much all you need to figure out surfing. If you take a friend its even cheaper. I surfed with Hike Bike Kayak San Diego on Ocean Beach which was an awesome outfitter and my surfing instructor was very patient and was just as stoked as I was when I actually rode a wave. I do recommend that you don't do this activity after sea kayaking because you need a lot of arm strength to pull yourself up on the board so you don't want your arms to be worned out from a day of paddling. I also had my lesson early in the morning when all that was on the beach were die hard surfers willing to brave the cold morning water. I recommend doing your lesson at this time so you don't have to worry about watching out for kids and folks swimming. Also the surfers that are out that early are usually pretty nice people and they respect that you are trying to learn. When I finally caught my first wave, many of the surfers out there cheered for me which was such an awesome feeling.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Water Sports

by basstbn Written Feb 22, 2003

Located on the Pacific Ocean, San Diego is a mecca for water sports enthusiasts. Being from Kansas, I know little about surfing, but it did not seem that the waves I saw would attract the experienced surfer, but maybe that's a different season of the year or at another area. These surfers were seen in the Point Loma vicinity.

Surfing at Point Loma

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Surfing Spot

by LauraWest Updated Feb 11, 2006

Point Loma is many things. One is a place to surf that is beautiful to me, a non-surfer. This location has a small parking lot. It was busy enough for a Saturday afternoon in early February.

Climbing out after a Ride Emergency Sign at this Spot