Day Trip, San Diego

Various locations.

Day Trip to Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles

by machomikemd Updated Sep 17, 2014

Hollywood Boulevard is a 127 mile and a 2 hour 8 minute drive via Interstate 5 North and US 101 North. If you are going to Universal Studios for a Day Trip, then you can do a side trip to Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles is this is the most famous Attraction of the City of Angels and is just located 3.3 miles away from Universal Studios Hollywood.

the wide boulevard which is the main street of hollywood. Holywood boulevard Actually encompasses a lot of streets and avenues like Sunset Boulevard in the east. Running northwest to Vermont Avenue, where it straightens out and runs due west to Laurel Canyon Boulevard. West of Laurel Canyon it continues as a small residential street in the hills, finally ending at Sunset Plaza Drive. On the east side of Hollywood Boulevard it passes through the neighborhoods of Little Armenia and Thai Town.

The boulevard was originally a seedy area in the 1980's (tourist just posed pictures at Grauman's Theater and Roosevelt Hotel and Walk of Fame and just leave) but a gentrification campaign was done in the 90's and today it has a number of attractions.

Bob Hope Square (Hollywood and Vine)
    Grauman's Chinese Theatre
    Pantages Theatre
    Pig 'n Whistle
    Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Odditorium
    Capitol Records Tower

at Grauman Chinese Theater via I-5 roosevelt hotel at kodak theater my cute friends
    • Architecture

Day Trip to Universal Studios

by machomikemd Updated Sep 17, 2014

again a return to universal studios Hollywood in universal city.

Universal City, the Site for Universal Studios Hollywood, is a 130 mile (198 kilometer) Drive from Downtown San Diego Via Interstate 5 North then to US 101 North for about 2 hours and 15 minutes

Universal studios Hollywood is the first universal studios theme park and is the star attraction of the unincorporated city of Universal City in the Metropolitan Los Angeles Area. It is one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood movie studios still in use. Its official marketing headline is "The Entertainment Capital of LA", it was initially created to offer tours of the real Universal Studios soundstages and sets. It is the first of many full-fledged Universal Studios Theme Parks located across the world. Universal Studios Hollywood is split into two areas on different levels, connected by a series of escalators called the Starway. These areas are known as the Upper lot and Lower lot. Each lot features a collection of rides, shows and attractions as well as food, beverage and merchandise shops and the famed Universal City Walk in the front which serves as an entrance plaza from the parking lots to the theme parks and has it's own share of shops, restaurants and other attractions.

group pose lunch at Bubba Gump universal city walk me zombie
    • Theme Park Trips

Day Trip to Anaheim

by machomikemd Updated Sep 17, 2014

off course to go to Disneyland where else?

Anaheim is a 96 mile (148 kilometer) drive from San Diego via Interstate 5 North for 1 hour and 40 minutes or a train ride from Santa Fe Depot to Anaheim Station via Pacific Surfliner. The Main Attraction of It Besides the Adventure City and Anaheim Convention Center is what else but the Original Disneyland.

When Walt Disney Draw a figure of a mouse in the 1920's when he was just a struggling animator in the depths of despair at not succeding at that time, never did he realized that he was setting the foundation of a Worldwide Entertainment Empire and the "Happiest Place on Earth", This Disneyland started it all when it opened in 1955 in the LA suburb of Anaheim which was a backwater then. Today, about 520 million people have visited this theme park and many have been repeat performers (like me). Disneyland revolutionized the way that theme parks will become a total package for families and groups. Again, it all started with one anonymous pet mouse of Walt Disney!

middle the amtrak to anaheim at disney hot in disney california adventure
    • Theme Park Trips

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Wine Country - Callaway Vineyards

by Agraichen Written Sep 6, 2013

Northern CA's Napa, Sonoma, and Livermore are best known for their wines. San Diego also has a "wine country" in the Temecula Valley. On a recent visit there I found a winery that could fit into the Napa Valley just as well.

Callaway Vineyards is one of the larger producers in the valley. They produce a number of wines and all of the reserves I tasted were excellent.

Open daily from 10-5.

• wabIV's Profile Photo

Deep Sea Sportfishing "H&M Landing"

by wabIV Updated Apr 4, 2011

Enjoy an 1/2, 3/4 or full day deep sea sportfishing adventure on a choice of sportfishing boats. They also offer 3 day, 4-8 day and 9 days and longer fishing trips. These boats are fully equiped with galley and appropiate accomondations. You can purchase equipment and license's from H&M Landing. The crews are very helpful providing fishing tips an even filleting your fish.

• Fishing

• JojelavaVT's Profile Photo

Treat Yourself to a Relaxing Massage

by JojelavaVT Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am a big fan of getting a massage every once and a while to release the tension of the everyday life. I have had some great ones and I have had some bad ones. I decided prior to heading home for the holidays to treat myself to an hour and half massage at this specialized clinic called "Active Wellness" that focuses on "stress release and healthy living" clinic my friend heard about in San Diego. Come to find out its actually a group of chiropractors that have put together a massage clinic only offering a few different massages but all with the ultimate goal of relieving stress and working on your inner "chi" (energy flow). The massage itself was an hour and half and was quite pricey but definitely worth it.

They do a full on consultation with you prior to the massage where they ask about your lifestyle and what you feel are your weaknesses in your body. For me I work at a computer desk, and carry a lot of stress in my shoulders and lower back. My masseuse not only focused on that but also worked on parts of the forearm that tighten from typing, and get this--even worked on my arches as she figured they would be tight due to me wearing high heels at the office all day. These little details coupled with an incredibly tranquil surrounding nearly put me in a coma, but definitely earned itself the title of "my best massage experience ever."

I have already sent a few friends there. Again they only work on people that are suffering from lack of sleep, or anxiety from stress. They arent really into the sports massaging or couple massaging, but they have a few body masks, and they specialize in acupuncture as well. This place is great, so if you are looking to treat yourself and you are in the San Diego area, check it out!

• jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

Skydive Otay Mesa

by jumpingwithnorman Written Apr 14, 2009

I've always wanted to jump out of a plane.... and not during an emergency either. Otay Mesa in San Diego had the facilities where you could do a tandem, solo or static line jump. Being my first time, I decided to go with a static line jump. It was SO AWESOME! The worst part was feeling the wind rush at you as you step onto the plane strut. And then when I arched my back and flung myself back from the plane, my shoe fell off! Landing was a little difficult as I couldn't seem to control the lines to direct the chute. I actually landed on the side of the road and the staff came to get me and gave me a piggyback ride to the landing area. My shoe actually did better as it landed nearer the X than I did.

• chengie_19's Profile Photo

The Flower Fields: A Rainbow Land

by chengie_19 Updated Aug 19, 2008

Anyone would appreciate the awesome view in The Flower Fields. The vibrant waves of colorful flower covers the hillsides of the Carlsbad Ranch. It is the only commercial ranunculus field in the world that is open to the public. A huge display of horticultural beauty is waiting to be seen. The warm-hearted host of the place entertains and educates visitors of all ages from morning to dusk with flourishing gardens and community activities. A great place to relax and be swept away by the diverse flowers in the farm.

(MAN MADE BUT NOT ORIGINALLY MADE TO ATTRACT TOURISTS)

The Flower Fields The Flower Fields My family, The Flower Fields Jumping at The Flower Fields Litlle Kids at The Flower Fields
    • Eco-Tourism

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Viejas Casino and Outlet Center

by SJTravel Written Jun 30, 2007

Viejas has a little something to offer for many people. They have the casinos for those who like to gamble. They have the outlets for those who like bargain shopping. And they also have a concert series for those who like live music. I have been to a concer there and it was a ton of fun. The concerts are outdoors right in the middle of the outlets. They attract some well known acts. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, it was very laid back and the crowd was super chill. Before the concert, we did a bit of outlet shopping and that was fun as well. They have a variety of shops with some good deals. It is your typical outlet shopping center. I don't gamble, so I didn't partake in their casinos, but from what I saw, people were really enjoying themselves. And on days when it was really hot outside, the air conditioned casinos were a nice respite from the heat.

• Music
    • Casino and Gambling

• wwliu's Profile Photo

Julian Mountain

by wwliu Written Apr 28, 2007

Julian is 60 miles northeast of San Diego situated between the northern end of the Cuyamaca Mountains and the southern slope of Volcan Mountain, west the Anza Borrego desert, driving 40 mins. It is an old town. There is an small museum shows a lot of old thing. Many houses decorated in old fashion. Some festival, people there also dress in old fashion walking on the street. Also, you can try carriage there. Most store sale a lot of special design's merchandise.

• Museum Visits

• Ramona, 35 miles from San Diego

by Koti Written Jul 20, 2006

We were amazed at what there was to do in Ramona. There were Camel and cow dairys that the kids could visit, an old west museum (Woodward's), we spent our day walking the streets of Ramona. The buildings had the turn of century (1800/1900s) charm, antique stores, and art galleries. We had our children with us and found a farm about a mile past Ramona twoards Julian on the left side with a huge green barn, there the kids enjoyed hay rides. On our way home we stopped and ate at a Mexican Restaurant, La Cocina...concievably the best Mexican food I have ever had...try their green salsa.

The town is a bit warm in the summer. But we now make a point of driving up in the spring and fall. There are two breakfast restaurants we found, both on the right side...Country Kitchen and Ramona Cafe. At both the breakfasts are big and inexpensive. They even have the owner's waiting on you. We also started wine tasting here since it is a bit closer than Temecula. There aren't as many wineries but they are still small without the commercial flare. More than once we have had owner's we just met put us in their golf carts and take us around the property trying wine. My favorite is Scwaesdale's Winery (spelling may be off)! It is a fun small town atmosphere...try it out.

We found an old Castle...Mt. Woodson GOlf Course. It is beautiful!! There is some history about a famous boxer, but I can't remember. There is also a castle that is amazing to see, you can wander around inside...it is beautiful.

If you go to the San Diego Country Estates they have a western and an equestrian center where you can rent horses. They have a golf course as well, but we haven't been to that one yet.

It only takes us about 45 minutes from downtown San Diego, and after you get off the freeway, the drive is beautiful. They even have a new remodeled theatre from the 1950s...it has comedians and plays, and current movies, we haven't tried that yet, but friends tell us the food is insepensive and ticket prices appear cheaper than in San Diego.

• Go fishing!!

by acs_joel Written Nov 12, 2005

Take an overnight boat out of San Diego harbor. The boat runs all night. When you get up in the morning, you're at the fishing grounds. Even if the fishing is slow, there is a beautiful sea to behold.

A Light From Above...off the coast of San Diego A Porpoise Breaks Water Porpoises Right Off the Bow Walter Looks for Paddies Aboard the Eldorado Returning to San Diego Harbor
    • Fishing
    • Beaches
    • Adventure Travel

• deetoher's Profile Photo

day trip to the Grand Canyon

by deetoher Written Apr 26, 2005

Don't do what we did: that is hire a car and drive to the Grand Canyon and back in under 28 hours! While we did get to see as much of the canyon as anyone else not venturing down it was an extremely tiring day, especially for the drivers!

• National/State Park

• Temecula Wineries

by sunnytraveler Written Apr 1, 2005

We've toured many wineries in NY state and it was fun to experience this in another area. Temecula is such a pretty area. The wineries have a backdrop of snow capped mountains and the aroma of grapes fill the air. Tasted the Almond Champagne at Wilson Creek Winery. Not a favorite for me but was interesting. Thorton Winery had some favorites and Callaway had great wine and spectacular grounds. Easy to get to as well.

View from Callaway Vineyard

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Imperial Beach

by travelgirl3 Written Oct 20, 2004

If you're looking for a nice half day drive, to get a So-Cal feel, follow this! Drive south on Highway 5 towards Tijuana for about 20 minutes and head West on Highway 75. Watch for the sign pointing to Imperial Beach, and turn left. With it's long pier stretching out into the Pacific, we found Imperial Beach exuded the ultimate, Southern California feel! Take a walk along the pier, and you'll see surfers, kite surfers, people fishing, and at the end, lots of seals!

There are several restaurants, so park the car and walk around for a while. When you've had your fill, retrace your route, and continue North on 75. It will take you past a couple more beaches, and straight to Coronado Island.

Imperial Beach, San Diego, CA