SeaWorld, San Diego

4 out of 5 stars 84 Reviews

500 SeaWorld Dr., San Diego, CA 92109 (619) 226-3901

• SeaWorld
    by AcornMan
  • Don't ride it unless you don't mind getting wet!
    Don't ride it unless you don't mind...
    by Jefie
    One of Seaworld's polar bears
    by Jefie
  • Blatherwick's Profile Photo

SeaWorld

by Blatherwick Written Sep 1, 2005

SeaWorld's main attraction is the killer whale, several of which are housed in a 7-million-gallon habitat that that is known as Shamu Stadium. Shamu was the name of the first killer whale ever to be brought to SeaWorld San Diego in the 1960s. 'Shamu' is now used as a stage name for adult killer whales in performances at SeaWorld parks. Catch one of the many shows and if you want to get wet sit in the splash zone.

Another big attraction is the dolphin pool where you can buy fish to feed them. There is also a more intimate dolphin encounter program as well. The Shark Encounter features a 57-foot, walk-through acrylic tube running the length of the sharks' habitat. I always wonder what would happen if the tube cracked. There are penguins, rides, kids parks. The place is good fun.

SeaWorld has made many contributions to wildlife conservation. SeaWorld scientists, zoologists, trainers and rescue teams participate in research and wildlife preservation. Recently, SeaWorld teams have helped saved beached whales, dolphins, seals, and sea lions and helped raise the awareness of endangered manatees.

SeaWorld
    • Aquarium

• cheap_tourist's Profile Photo

See Seaworld's Sea Creatures

by cheap_tourist Written Aug 28, 2005

It was only recently that I saw Seaworld for the first time. It took me four years to figure out how to do it efficiently. First, I bought my ticket online and got the discount for L.A. residents. Next, I stayed at the downtown HI hostel, and early in the morning, I went to Old Town Transit Center and took the #9 bus to Seaworld. At last!

I think that the highlight of any Seaworld visit is Shamu's Performance. Where else can you see a killer whale? Other attractions there include R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse 4-D (a 3-D movie with water splashed into your face), Clyde and Seamore in Deep, Deep Trouble (an act featuring two sea lions), Cirque de la Mer (a circus performance), Shipwreck Rapids (a rafting experience), and Journey to Atlantis (roller coaster with a watery plunge).

The Skytower Ride and the Bayside Skyride offers you an eagle's view of the area for a price: $5 for both rides. These are the only attractions inside the park where you have to pay extra; all the others are free (after you have paid admission, of course).

You also get to see live beluga whales, polar bears, penguins, manatees, sharks, dolphins, fresh water fishes in an aquarium, and flamingos.

Also visit the Anheuser-Busch Hospitality Center where you can sample some of their beer products for free.

Shamu's Finale

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

by Yaqui Updated Aug 1, 2005

Ok, I don't care what age you are, but Sea World has load to offer for all ages to enjoy. Animals shows, exhibits, and some actual hands on with some dolphins and sting rays. My son loved the huge play yard they had. So go and ejoy! I loved Busch Garden....yeah it was not for the beer, but because of the famed Clydedales are at. I even got lucky enough to touch the nuzzle of one. Plus, Busch Garden salutes our Men and Woman of all Armed Forces. The Clydesdales even visited Edwards once.

Oh, wear comfortable shoes!

• Anne-Charlotte's Profile Photo

Sea World, San Diego

by Anne-Charlotte Written Jul 14, 2005

I liked Sea World overall a lot more then the SD Zoo so if time is limited I'd recommend this place instead. There were some rides I remember thinking were fun and also the orcas and other sea shows were cool to see.

• Lensmeister's Profile Photo

A chance to get soaked!

by Lensmeister Written Jun 30, 2005

Now this is worth a trip. Sit near the front of the pools if you don't mind getting wet (known as the soakzone) if you have a camera or camcorder SIT AWAY!
    Also a word or warning. Due to the high level of salt water in the air make sure you use a good Sunblock. When you arrive you are given a map with show times and your own personal schedule on it. You can get the best out of the park this way. There are Dolphins, Killer whales, and seals. The Fools With Tools show for kids and adults alike is great it's one to watch. And of course the Shamu show. My own favourite is the Shark cave and the Artic experience. Have fin ... I mean Have fun!

Shamu splash down ��Lensmeister.
    • Aquarium

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Shamu Show

by keeweechic Updated May 8, 2005

The Shamu Show is an amazing sight of a 10,000-pound whale lurching through the air with a guy in a wetsuit clinging to its snout. You can even (if you’re a child) sit on the back of this ‘killer’ whale.

• bilgeez's Profile Photo

A Trip to San Diego without Going to Seaworld?

by bilgeez Written Apr 24, 2005

You may as well not come to San Diego without the visit to Sea World!
    It is a very interesting venue. I, personally am opposed to imprisoning creatures that should be left in the wild, but it is interesting to see what they train some aquatic mammals to do to entertain the humans.
    And to warn you: there is a strong, pervading smell of urine in the park, so if that odor makes you nauseous or upsets you, I would advise against going. It also makes one wonder how sanitary the conditions are for the creatures there if that odor is so pervasive?
    Also, if you are animal rights activist, I advise against your protesting there, as you WILL be arrested and charged with whatever they want to charge you with. It will be a very unpleasant and expensive experience for you, I guarantee it! So-word to the wise-do your protesting elsewhere!

Orca show at Sea World
    • Study Abroad
    • Beaches

• oldmonk_92129's Profile Photo

Sea world amusement park

by oldmonk_92129 Written Apr 23, 2005

This is a must see with family.
    Apart from the usual Shamu show, the new Clyde and seymour in deep deep trouble is pretty good.
    As is Atlantis the ride.
    Prepare to spend a whole day here.
    Best seen in summer.
    Buy the family fun pack - You will save more than 50%

Massive killer Whales

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Like a Zoo & Circus in One Clean Place

by LauraWest Written Mar 21, 2005

Feed the Dolphins! You can buy a small disposable container of fresh fish pieces to throw to friendly, tame dolphins in an enclosed, attractive large pool. You can watch other people do this, whether you buy fish or not. Watch out for sea gulls! they'll swoop down fast & steal your fish!
    Sea World has many, many fish & sea mammals on display, attractively. Its like a zoo & circus in one place.
    Love penguins? Great place to see all types of them & cool off yourself, too.

get close to dolphins
    • Zoo

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Make a Day and Night of Memories

by LauraWest Written Mar 21, 2005

Have been to this park many times, though last time was about 6 years ago. Many happy memories with my girls when they were little. So much to do here; really is amazing, entertaining & educational. Stay till it closes; enjoy the nightly fireworks & other shows. Take lots of pictures, wear sunscreen. You can find coupons to save money on your tickets or use AAA membership to save. The price is very high, so don't go unless you have $250 for a family of four ( see excellent website for details). I still love remembering the quality & fun of the place! I hope you enjoy it, too.

Killer Whale & Trainer Show Off!
    • Zoo

• keida84's Profile Photo

Educational Dolphin Encounter Sea World San Diego

by keida84 Written Feb 16, 2005

One of the most special memories I have is the day I held for 600 lb. dolphin on my lap. Through the Dolphin Interaction Program at Sea World San Diego, I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of touching a dolphin.

Upon our arrival we were met by a Sea World employee who gave us a half-hour lecture all about dolphins. She then took us to the holding tanks where dolphins spend their time when they are not in the public eye. We were given wetsuits and booties and separated into groups of three. First we visited the veterinarian, we learned how blood is drawn from their flukes, we learned about their diet and how old dolphins can live. Next, we went to a training pool and learned hand signals and how they work.

Our final stop we were able to enter the water (which was about 66°) and wade in up to our chest. The guide told us why we were not allowed to swim with the dolphins; two reasons: number one Dolphins like to play tag, they can swim up to 22 mph. if they "tag" you, you really won't want to play anymore. and number two Dolphins like to hang out on the bottom of the pool and naturally they want you to hang with them, so they hold you down with them. They can hold their breaths for 12 minutes.

The cost for this program is $150 per person

Well worth the cost believe me!

Call early to make reservations as this program sells out quickly.

Misty and Me
    • Adventure Travel

by bugalugs Written Jan 25, 2005

At Sea World you can see a film of the rescue, rehabilitation and release which took 14 months of J.J. an orphaned Californian grey whale. It is a very moving story and I am sure captures the heart of all who see it. Me included

by bugalugs Written Jan 25, 2005

A great thing we liked about this park was that if you go for the whole day/evening, it is a long time, but you can get your hand stamped, leave and then return later. We did this about 6pm, went back to our hotel, had a dip in the pool, had some dinner and then went back to the park for the evening, watching the fireworks was great.

by bugalugs Updated Jan 25, 2005

There is also a Manatee Rescue, set in a river-like setting like they would inhabit in the wild. I love manatees (see my Homosassa page)
    There are also Walruses and beluga whales. In fact there is so much to see that we probably missed some of it.
    With shows and feeding times are starting at different times, its a bit like a race getting round to see everything you want to see, whilst trying to miss nothing.
    Try and get there as early as possible, check out the times of the shows, feeding times etc of the things you want to see and then you can maybe plan it a bit better than we did

by bugalugs Written Jan 25, 2005

Who cannot resist dolphins??? They are so adorable, and besides seeing them in their own show you can also feed them. You buy your food in Sea World, trouble is there are so many people buying the food and feeding them that I am afraid it is cupboard love when they come to you for their food, the minute its gone they are off to the next person :-)

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near SeaWorld
4.0 out of 5 stars