SeaWorld, San Diego

by AcornMan
  • At the
    At the "Blue Horizons" dolphins show
    by Jefie
  • Don't ride it unless you don't mind getting wet!
    Don't ride it unless you don't mind...
    by Jefie
  • CHINA20's Profile Photo

by CHINA20 Written Jan 3, 2005

Shamu Show

When you come to san Diego you have to go at the Sea World, you can enjoy the Shamu and dolphins show, see a lot fishes you can touch some them, see the polar bears and penguins in the artic, it simulating the natural habitat, there is so cold, and enjoy the 3D movie there ... dont forget enjoy the trips by the river wear shorts because you will end so weat.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

A wet wet world

by bugalugs Updated Jan 25, 2005

Sea World is a very popular attraction in San Diego and started in 1964. Shamu the killer whale has become an unofficial symbol of the city. (Although I would like to add that the killer whale in all other Sea Worlds around the world are also called Shamu!

Although I am not a lover of 'theme park' type venues, Sea World was brilliant. We were told that there would be massive queues but although very busy this was not the case.

The above is a picture of my son and myself.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

by bugalugs Written Jan 25, 2005

To Shamu is just something else, oh and if you sit near the front during one of the shows you are sure to get soaked. In fact the first few rows have markings saying the splash zone. The children love to stand/sit here and then run as Shamu takes a leap and a dive.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Highlight of our trip

by AcornMan Written Jun 12, 2009

Seaworld was the highlight of our trip because our kids love sea animals - particularly dolphins - so much. We had only one day because tickets are so expensive, so we arrived shortly before it opened and stayed for nearly 13 hours straight. But we saw the whole thing (some of it more than once) and had a fantastic time.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the dolphin encounter program, which allows you to put on a wet suit and get in the water with some of the dolphins. We had a lot of fun doing it. If that's not up your alley or if it's too expensive, there's a shorter program that allows you to feed dolphins, pet them, and interact with them without getting in the water. We did both so the kids could have as much exposure to the dolphins as possible. Also, make sure you see the Shamu and dolphin shows not only during the day, but also at night because they're different.

One warning though: Everything in Seaworld is very expensive. Food, drinks, souvenirs, and anything else you can imagine comes at a high price. But I thought it was worth all the money we spent because we have some great photos, and I know our kids will never forget the experience they had.

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

by venteeocho Written May 31, 2007

If you're going to San Diego and have a day to spare, Sea World is a good destination. Plan ahead (15-20 minutes) for the shows earlier in the day. The sea lion show and the dolphin show are very entertaining. We didn't think the Shamu show "Believe" was all that special - it was really overdramatic which took away from the cool things the whales did. For all of the shows (and especially Shamu), sit on an aisle by an exit so you don't get caught up in the crowds leaving the show.

For those of legal age (and possibly without kids), make a reservation at the Brewmaster's Club for "food pairing" event - i.e. free samples of Bud & Michelob beers with cheese and fruit. It's free, but the reservations we're tough to get into later in the day.

Since you're going to go, research discount offers to get in cheaper. We found a good discount by being a member of Southwest's frequent flyer club.

We spent longer than expected at Sea World but had a great time

• Water Sports
    • Study Abroad

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Sea World - Pet me please

by SLLiew Written Oct 23, 2006

Nice surprise to find a petting pool for baby whales and dolphiins.

Those teeth looks nasty but these supposedly intelligent mammals seemed to enjoy to be pet. Anyway, no reason to take unnecessary risk but it is a great way to come so close to another mammal that seemed to be happy to greet us.

• hotlipz's Profile Photo

A whole lot of water!

by hotlipz Updated Mar 28, 2006

I know not everyone agrees with keeping these wonderful creatures for performance and away from their natural environment but I truly believe these awesome looking mammals are happy. For example, if you move away from the display area and look at the holding pool for the Orca's all you see are free swimming, happy, very healthy looking killer whales!

There is also a lot of conservation and research going on here and if you do the extended tour that takes you behind the scenes you will see just how much the Seaworld staff (aka anheuser busch who make Budweisser beer) care about the marine world. I was very impressed.

Seaworld, San Diego is also the only place outside of Florida that is allowed to house the persecuted manatee or sea cow.

Coming from a very horsey background, I also loved the Anheuser Busch stables where the draught horses are kept that pull the beer hitches (is that what they are called in America?) These wonderful horses are Clydesdales, a native of Scotland and they keep especially good examples of the breed. There was an especially nice mare called Annie with a tiny foal, I dont know why but I have no photo but check out the website for more information. I didnt realise this but AB have the largest herd of Clydesdales in the world and that's no mean feat when most of the British (and even European) breeds of Draught horses are fighting for survival thanks in part to John Deere and Massey Ferguson!

• bilgeez's Profile Photo

A Trip to San Diego without Going to Seaworld?

by bilgeez Written Apr 24, 2005

Orca show at Sea World

You may as well not come to San Diego without the visit to Sea World!
    It is a very interesting venue. I, personally am opposed to imprisoning creatures that should be left in the wild, but it is interesting to see what they train some aquatic mammals to do to entertain the humans.
    And to warn you: there is a strong, pervading smell of urine in the park, so if that odor makes you nauseous or upsets you, I would advise against going. It also makes one wonder how sanitary the conditions are for the creatures there if that odor is so pervasive?
    Also, if you are animal rights activist, I advise against your protesting there, as you WILL be arrested and charged with whatever they want to charge you with. It will be a very unpleasant and expensive experience for you, I guarantee it! So-word to the wise-do your protesting elsewhere!

• Study Abroad
    • Beaches

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Even better than the zoo!

by Jefie Updated Nov 3, 2013

At the

When I first brought up the idea of going to SeWorld, Sylvain wasn't entirely sure he'd want to spend a whole day at an aquarium but given how much we'd enjoyed the zoo, we decided to spend the last day of our trip to San Diego at SeaWorld. It ended up being a fabulous way to end the trip! I'll be the first to admit that admission fees ($79) are a little high, but it did feel like we got our money's worth, even more so than at the zoo. Between the animals, the shows, and the rides, the day went by incredibly fast and we were there from the moment the park opened at 10:00 am and left just a few minutes before it closed at 5:00 pm. We managed to watch three of the shows and they were a lot of fun - the one with the sea lions was my favourite! I also very much enjoyed how easy it was to see the animals and how close they were compared with those at the zoo. We rode the thrilling Manta rollercoaster, went on the Journey to Atlantis flume ride and saved the shipwreck rapids for last since I had a feeling we might get a little wet on that one - I was wrong: we got completely drenched! So much for avoiding the splash zones in all the shows ;o) Oh well, at least we managed to dry a little during the aerial tram ride. So if you do decide to go to SeaWorld, make sure to spend the entire day there or else you'll just miss out on all the fun!

• Sea World

by grantravel Updated Sep 9, 2007

Shamu

Having been to Sea World in our hometown of Gold Coast (Australia) many times, I was curious to see how different it would be. I would have to say that we enjoyed it a lot more. Mainly because of all the different sea animals exhibits there were…killer whales, manatees, walruses, white beluga whales, polar bears. We found the shows to be very good also. I have read some negative reviews about the Shamu show, but I really enjoyed it. Probably because I had never seen a Killer Whale before, they are just magnificent! The highlight of the day would have to have been the buffet lunch we had on Shamu's poolside patio. Awesome food, and while you eat you watch them feed the killer whales only metres away from your table. We had to pay extra for this but it is well worth it. All in all we found Sea World to be a great day out and a very easy park to get around in one day.

If you also intend on visiting theme parks in LA as we did, you should definitely buy the Southern California City Pass. It entitles you to a 3-Day Disneyland ticket, and 1-day tickets to Universal Studios, SeaWorld and a choice of SD Zoo or SD Zoo's Wild Animal Park. You can purchase this from any of the parks. It's a great saving!

• wwliu's Profile Photo

Incredible animals

by wwliu Written Apr 10, 2007

There various animal show like Shamu show, Dolphin show and pets show. Those animals are incredible. You never see animals can complete such a lot unbelievable actions. They are friendly with people. God give us such smart creations.

• Sea World, San Diego

by aeclar Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you've never been to any of the many Bush Gardens / Sea World parks around the US, you have to visit Sea World, San Diego.

The park is a great place to take you family on a weekend or even miss the crowds and going during the week. There aren't many rides to speak of but the shows are great. The 3 shows I highly recommend are the Shamu Adventure, the Dolphin Discovery, and the Fools with Tools. The last show, the Fools with Tools show is definately a must see. This show features two sea lions, Clyde and Seamore, as they put on a TV home-repair show and pretty much everything goes haywire. The whole stadium is transformed into a TV studio and they make the audience part of the show. With their slapstick style of comedy, this show is great for the kids.

During the summertime the park is open til late and a fireworks display, which can be seen from almost any where in the park, delights everyone.

The price of admission is up there, $45 for adults and $35 for kids, but if you're planning to stay in San Diego for more than a day it might be wise to take advantage of the Sea World Fun Card. There is a lot to see in the park and with kids you it would be easy for you to not be able to see everything in one day. With the Fun Card, for the price of one admission you can get re-admission to the park for the whole year. If you'll be in San Diego for a week you could come back to Sea World the next day and finish your tour off the park, and have ample time to see everything else that San Diego has to offer.

• Grazina's Profile Photo

If you love FISH this is the place to BE!!!

by Grazina Updated Aug 15, 2003

The tower that allows you to see all around.

I really enjoyed my whole day at Sea World. You found yourself just being a kid all over again. There is enough things and fish (all kinds) to do and see that you'll find yourself at this place all day.

• cheap_tourist's Profile Photo

See Seaworld's Sea Creatures

by cheap_tourist Written Aug 28, 2005

Shamu's Finale

It was only recently that I saw Seaworld for the first time. It took me four years to figure out how to do it efficiently. First, I bought my ticket online and got the discount for L.A. residents. Next, I stayed at the downtown HI hostel, and early in the morning, I went to Old Town Transit Center and took the #9 bus to Seaworld. At last!

I think that the highlight of any Seaworld visit is Shamu's Performance. Where else can you see a killer whale? Other attractions there include R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse 4-D (a 3-D movie with water splashed into your face), Clyde and Seamore in Deep, Deep Trouble (an act featuring two sea lions), Cirque de la Mer (a circus performance), Shipwreck Rapids (a rafting experience), and Journey to Atlantis (roller coaster with a watery plunge).

The Skytower Ride and the Bayside Skyride offers you an eagle's view of the area for a price: $5 for both rides. These are the only attractions inside the park where you have to pay extra; all the others are free (after you have paid admission, of course).

You also get to see live beluga whales, polar bears, penguins, manatees, sharks, dolphins, fresh water fishes in an aquarium, and flamingos.

Also visit the Anheuser-Busch Hospitality Center where you can sample some of their beer products for free.

• maemae11's Profile Photo

by maemae11 Written Jun 19, 2010

Not fun when it's cold, but still a good place to go. If you've never been to Sea World then you're missing out. If you have been to SW in another state you may not be missing much. Not much more exciting than the one in San Antonio.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: San Diego

Comments

Hotels Near SeaWorld
4.0 out of 5 stars