Tuna Harbor Park, San Diego

Just south of USS Midway Museum.

Borrowed
    Bob Hope
    Ours
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Tuna Harbor Park

by lmkluque Updated Dec 19, 2013

Borrowed

In the early 1950's when I first came to live in San Diego the lovely Harbor we see today, looked quite different. Most of it was filled with tuna boats. Tuna fishing was a big business in San Diego and supplied many a family with a decent living. I even knew a couple of tuna fishermen/their families.

Little by little the focus seems to have turned from Tuna Fishing to War Memorials. Not sure how this will effect things, but it's an interesting thing to watch. First it had a few trees, for shade, benches to sit, relax and look out on the Bay. The Memorials started popping up

I think it was about 2007 we were loaned one of the "Unconditional Surrender" statues. Photo #1 We had it in the park until we had to give it back, I think 2011. Well, we liked it so much that we decided to commission one made just for us. It was installed February 2013. Photo #2.

Another thing that was added to the park was a National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military. Photo #3. Here you can actually hear a recording of Bob entertaining the troops.

To Be Continued...