Beware of..., San Diego

Know about this?

• PIZZA DELIVERY SCAM TARGET TOURISTS

by zikates Updated Jul 30, 2004

We stayed at a hotel in Chula Vista, CA for 3 nights. Each day we received a flyer under the door for a local pizza joint called HARBOR PIZZA. When we called for the pizza they answered "What Hotel are you staying at?" and then delivered the MOST HORRIBLE PIZZA I have ever tasted. The special we ordered came with a salad and breadsticks w/cheese. Well the breadsticks had no cheese and the salad was merely lettuce and a tomato wedge, without dressing. The delivery driver claimed not to have change for a $20 (our total was $16) so we let that slide. After the driver was gone we tried to call to complain. The pizza joint was not a legitimate business...the employees would not let us speak to a manger, they would not provide us with their names, or thier street address. The hotel where we were staying was aware of this scam but had been unable to stop the scammers from distributing the flyers to the rooms. We trashed the pizza, choked up the loss of $20 bucks, and ordered Domino's.
    BE CAREFUL. They flyer was a very elaborate, well prepared and professional looking advertisement. The menu selection was extensive and it looked legitimate. The prices looked reasonable and on-target. DON'T BE SCAMMED. The hotel later informed us that there are several of these operations around town working out of their garages and targeting hotel guests!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Beware of Steep stair and narrow passage ways

by Yaqui Updated Jan 19, 2009

Beware of having to climb, crouching or close quarters. I know it may be difficult for many people to be able to see the Maritime Museum do to all the stairs, steps, or narrow door ways. The cat walks make it easily accessible, but the vessels themselves are not. So if you have some disabilites, makes sure you have someone to help you so you too can enjoy these wonderful historical pieces of the sea.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

B39 Soviet Attack Submarine Entrance/Portals

by Yaqui Written Jan 19, 2009

This either could be fun for most, but some might not be physically capable. The entrances or doors are round, high, and deep. They are like portals. This is due of course to the design and safety of the doors so they can seal them off from one compartment incase of flooding. They have a duplicate on top before you enter the submarine to let visitors know what you may have to endure to see all the sub. I am not a slim as I use to be, but probably a little more in shape than others of my size. My family got a kick out of climbing through these portals. We had a great time, but some may not find them fun. So please take your time and be careful.

• toddakiyama's Profile Photo

Vagrants

by toddakiyama Written Jul 22, 2007

Vagrants asking for change or selling drugs!!!

*Walking from the hotel to Gastown area we passed quite a few vagrants

*They didn't seem dangerous at all, but many of them would ask for money or would offer illegal substances for sale

*It is best to ignor them and not even reply or talk to them

• A SHOPPING TRAP

by sabsi Written Jun 14, 2005

A shopping trap in San Diego

Be careful! When entering this shop you won't get out again without having bought anything! After 3 minutes in here I had realised already that we would never be able to leave this shop without a bag.

The helpful shopping assistant ladies here showed us almost the whole shop, brought us bottles of smelly shower gels and soaps and didn't stop talking even though we were dying laughing already. Even when I made a complete fool out of myself by pouring half a bottle of raspberry lotion on my arm and not being able to get rid of it they didn't stop smiling and suggesting products.

In the end we quickly bought something and escaped crying. Outside of the shop we collapsed laughing. Everytime I wash my hands now with the coconut lime soap I bought there I have a big smile on my face thinking of how we were "raped" at Bath and Body Works at Horton Plaza.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Dangerous conditions on the Beach

by csordila Updated Mar 22, 2009

No swimming

Massive waves and storm surges are significantly dangerous. When ocean conditions look rough, before enter the water you should always talk to the lifeguard on duty about conditions. The waves at Coronado vary greatly and the beach has a very active life guard service.
    Unless you are strong swimmer use always guarded beaches. If you are dragged away from shore by a strong current, never fight the current; the best, what you can do, is to search a calmer water or to wait the lifeguard.

• Beaches

• THEY DONT KILL JUST ROB

by pszman Written Jun 25, 2006

IF YOU STAY IN THE DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT AREA YOU ARE SAFE
    IF YOU VENTURE OUT OF DOWNTOWN(12TH AVE-68TH STREET)YOU ARE IN A REALLY BAD AREA
    THIS IS A PLACE YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE AT DURING THE DAY UNLESS YOU "BLEND IN"(HIP HOP,MEXICAN OR AFRICAN AMERICAN)THERES ALWAYS THAT STORY ON THE NEWS ABOUT THE TOURIST THAT GOT ROBBED IN "BLACKEAST"SAN DIEGO.
    THE SECOND AREA TO AVOID IS THE SOUTH BAY.CITIES LIKE NATL CITY,CHULA VISTA,IMPERIAL BEACH,SOUTHWEST/SOUTH/SOUTHEAST SAN DIEGO.IT IS ALOT SAFFER THAN "BLACKEAST"SAN DIEGO DURING THE DAY BUT AT NIGHT ITS JUST AS BAD.
    FINALY IF YOU ARE AN OUTER-TOWNER VISITING THE BEACHES IN THE CITY THERE IS ALWAYS HIGH GANG ACTIVITY AT MISSION BEACH PACIFIC BEACH AND MISSION BAY.IF YOU LOOK ROBBABLE THEY PROBLEY WILL ROB YOU IN THESE AREAS.

• BAD AREAS

by Elir1234 Written Jun 11, 2011

East Village (Petco Park etc.) is fine, just try to stay out of there after dark. Same with the gaslamp quarter. Do NOT go north of the 5 freeway up to the 8 except for Hillcrest, Mission Valley etc. Although you will probably not venture into these areas, try tobstay out of Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, Barrio Logan, Normal Heights, City Heights, etc. You will probably be fine. There are some nice areas in those areas listed above but in general don't walk there after dark. DO NOT GO INTO TIJUANA' There are drugs, killings, kidnappings, and robberies targeted at tourists everyday. Non locals don't hear about how bad it is, so they go in there. IT IS HORRIBLE IN TIJUANA. Do not go there. They recently found 12 heads in a park along with a mass grave of >50 victims of the drug cartel. Soldiers have been on the border DO NOT GO!!! I know I am making this sound really bad, but if you follow these rules then you will be fine

• kirstenohrazda's Profile Photo

Watch when you go to Tijuana

by kirstenohrazda Written Mar 9, 2007

Please watch yourself and your wallet if going into Mexico. That is a place where you can expect the unexpected I would go in a group and never by myself. It is not a place for the faint of heart, alot of poverty and sadness. It is really for people who are not yet 21 to go to clubs, because over there you can drink at 18 and even younger nothing is really illegal there? Be careful what ever you do.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Upper Broadway at night

by orlikins Written Dec 7, 2006

I don't recommend walking around the upper stretch of Broadway at night. It is quiet and dark and definitely not a place where women should be at night. I had to walk by here one night and it did feel a bit scary.

• Women's Travel

• watch out for mexican...

by skreno Updated Aug 25, 2002

watch out for mexican restaurants offering Fish tacos,beans,&rice for $1.29. what you get is a frozen fishstick w/ coleslaw wrapped in a tortilla. I fell for this myself. what can I say, I'm a dumbass.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Due to the current crisis...

by spartan Written Aug 24, 2002

Due to the current crisis affecting the world, it is prudent for you to be aware of your surroundings wherever and whenever you travel. If you plan on going to a game at Qualcomm Stadium, be prepared for lines, security checks, police and for your bags to be searched. Plan on getting to the stadium early if you want to catch the start of the games.

• BANKING FRUSTRATION

by blackmasquerade Updated Sep 24, 2004

While in San Diego recently, I needed to change some AMEX travellers cheques, so took a stroll over to the Bank of San Diego, which was situated close to my hotel.

On asking if I could change some cheques, I was asked to provide 2 forms of photo id. Unfortunately, being a British tourist, the only photo id I had with me was my passport. I had no need to take my driving licence as I was not planning on driving this trip and anyway, not all british drivers hold photo id (it is only issued when there is a need to replace your licence either on change of name/address or renewal, which is at age 70!). Despite explaining this to the teller, she simply pointed out that unless I could do this, she would be unable to help me!

I appreciate the need to prove I am who I say I am but I had no problem at other banks elsewhere in the US, who were happy to accept my passport, credit card and fingerprint (yes, I actually had to place an inked fingerprint on each cheque in Seattle for example).

I do not have a problem with this and understand banks have to be careful, particularly in light of problems with money laundering etc, but the fact this bank would not accept my passport plus credit card as suitable evidence was, quite frankly puzzling.

• Neighborhoods to avoid

by marcmalano Written Jun 11, 2004

Driving around San Diego, the only neighborhood that seems rather unsafe and should be avoided is National City...located between downtown and Chula Vista.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Costs . . .

by acemj Updated Jan 17, 2006

Mission Hills mansion

If you fall in love with San Diego (and you will) and you're thinking about moving here, beware of sticker shock. This place sure isn't cheap. Homes start at around $300,000 and up. Way up!

Instant Answers: San Diego