Know about this?
It's a shame they have to tell you this...
... but some people think it's cute to feed the birds. At the Casa de Bandini Restaurant in Old Town, these cards were on each table, just as a friendly reminder. Seagulls on the beach are bad enough, I don't want them spoiling my beautiful patio lunch!
- Family Travel
Don't look for a blue trolley
There are two lines of a trolley in San Diego: Orange and Blue line.
But waiting for a trolley after a few drinks in Gaslamp Quarter in the evening, don't look for blue trolley, even if you drank Blue Curacao. They are all red :-))).
Watch a table in front of incoming trolley.
- Family Travel
What to choose from?
When you walk around the Gaslamp District it's not so easy to choose the best (for you) place to eat and drink (+ watch people if you like hehe) especially when you are for the first time there.
My suggestion: just look where there are a lot of people - especially locals (hmmm... how to recognize them?), usually (but not always) it works quite good.
- Family Travel
- Road Trip
The Giant Pandas maybe taken off exhibit
It didn't happen to me but the world famous Giant Pandas (in San Diego ZOO) maybe taken off exhibit AT ANY TIME due to warm temperatures or research needs.
Hmm... what are warm temperatures for pandas? 90F (32C)?
- Road Trip
Baja California - driving
If you decide to travel "South of the Border" in a car, there are procedures you should follow.
1. Avoid using a rental car if you can - they are targets for the police. If you have a friend you trust, borrow their car.
2. Get Mexican Insurance - it may not help in an accident, but if you get pulled over, the officer will ask you for it. You can get it for a single day. Most freeway exits near the border have agencies.
3. NEVER speed. If you are going even 1 km over the speed limit, you can get stopped by a police officer.
4. Take the Toll Road - "Cuota". Have several one-dollar bills and coins handy. There will be officers and/or soldiers with machine guns at the toll stops - don't worry about them. They aren't worried about you.
5. If you do get stopped by the police, when he's done telling you what you've done wrong (which in most cases is absolutely nothing), ask him "Sir, is there any way we can take care of this right now?" He should be amenable to this. Ask him how much it would take. He'll probably give you an outrageous figure - at least $100. Tell him that all you have is 20. Repeat with 30 or 40 if he laughs that off. If he gets mad, PAY THE $100. DO NOT screw around with him - YOU WILL end up in jail.
***Very important: only keep $20 in your wallet. Keep an extra 20 in 5 or 10-dollar increments in your pocket - that way you can pretend that you "suddenly remembered that you had some more money leftover". Keep anything above that hidden in your shoe, sock, bra... anywhere he wouldn't immediately look and that he couldn't find if he searched the car.
***Do not volunteer to give any extra money. Wait for him to ask you for it. Only the driver should pay. Only ask your friends in the car for money if you don't have it on you. Otherwise they should stay quiet. Once you have paid, let him leave first.
****This is not meant to scare you off. It is unlikely that you will be pulled over if you follow the rules of the road. Baja is a beautiful place - worth a visit. Just be careful.
You'll never know where the...
You'll never know where the rainbow lorikeet
(Trichoglossus haematodus) would prefer to land, at Lorikeet Landing in San Diego Wild Animal Park.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
San Diego Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Panaji Hotels
- New Caledonia
- Province of Camiguin Hotels
- Torremolinos Hotels
- Songkhla Hotels
- Areas to avoid
- Saudi Arabia Warnings and Dangers
- Vienna Warnings and Dangers
- Santiago Warnings and Dangers
- Acapulco Warnings and Dangers
- Alexandria Warnings and Dangers
- Crete Island Warnings and Dangers
- Brunei Warnings and Dangers
- Villahermosa Warnings and Dangers
- Roads and Driving
- Latvia Warnings and Dangers
- Noordwijk aan Zee Warnings and Dangers