Fog / Weather, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

sunny
    foggy golden gate
  • rkearns's Profile Photo

fog in sf?

by rkearns Written Apr 9, 2011

Favorite thing: you've come to the right place! (especially if you want to see fog). i live here so check out my travel pages for tips, and feel free to email me for more direct questions.

i hate to tell you, but october is one of our warmest months here. september is also warm. the weather changes not only from day to day, but it's a microclimate, so it changes from block to block. take yesterday for example; from morning to afternoon, there was not a cloud in the sky. then, it rained last night. how long will you be staying here? if you stay here for a week, you will see fog. it usually rolls over the top of sutro tower around 4 or 5pm. if you stay in the outer sunset district, you will see it in the morning. it's actually the reason we (san franciscans) don't like to live in that area :) but i agree, it can be very stunning. my friend lives in north beach with a view of alcatraz and the golden gate bridge and sausalito. he always takes AMAZING shots of the fog rolling over alcatraz and the bridge, so that's another good bet, if you can afford to stay around north beach or the marina.

hope that helps. looks like you can come out any time between now and august and get your 60 degrees. it's rarely 80 here. but when it is, be prepared for everyone to take their clothes off and head to the nearest park. that's where we sunbathe, and we're not shy about it.

• newsphotogirl's Profile Photo

Best Time to Visit

by newsphotogirl Written Oct 25, 2006

Favorite thing: I cannot stress this enough. Go to San Francisco in September or October even November. Autumn is really summer in San Francisco. If you go in May, June or July it is almost guaranteed to be cold and foggy. Yes there are some nice days in the summer but it's not the norm. I see so many tourists at Fisherman's Wharf wearing shorts and freezing in July. Plus without the fog you get spectacular view of the bay. What's the point of all those hills if you can't enjoy the view:)

• karin1972's Profile Photo

Dressing in Layers

by karin1972 Written Feb 7, 2005

Favorite thing: San Francisco is one AMAZING city, which has so much to offer. There are many great restaurants (i.e. around Chinatown, Little Italy/North Beach, Mission District, etc) and cultures to experience. The architecture ranges from victorian to ultra modern and the political atmosphere is mainly liberal. Whatever you're into, I can almost guarantee there is a group of people in San Francisco which will happily call you one of their own.

Fondest memory: I will never forget the feelings I experienced every time I drove on the Golden Gate or Bay Bridges...Such incredible views and sceneries---breathtakingly beautiful, in my opinion. I was fortunate to call San Francisco my temporary home, while in graduate school from 1996-2001. I would love to have a few more years of living there, and experiencing all that I missed during that time.

• altizachen's Profile Photo

The Chinese brought the fog to San Francisco

by altizachen Updated Sep 12, 2004
    Where did the Bridge go?

Fondest memory: There is fog in San Francisco just about every day. I don't know where it comes from but I heard it's really the steam from all the Chinese rice cookers in the city.

When driving in fog: never turn on your high-beams, it will cause the fog to glow and you will see less.

I know the streets like the back of my hand, but not in the fog. I got lost recently; the fog was so thick I could barely see the road. I ranover something. I don't think that it was a person, I don't know... I couldn't see anything. Both my tires and one side had blown and I bent my rims. I was angry. I think I hit a median in the road.

Lessen learned. No matter how well you know the streets always drive slow in the fog.

• 'Wear some flowers in your...

by panokat Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: 'Wear some flowers in your hair'...just kidding. I'd have to say do anything....or nothing. There's a warm feeling that will follow you no matter where you go.

Fondest memory: Believe it or not, it's the fog. I love it.

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Fog City

by TashieKitten Written Apr 8, 2003

Favorite thing: Considering its proximity to the ocean and some small hills/mountains to the south, foggy skies are a definite possiblity. But it's not all bad, especially when it's been clear all day and you're near the ocean and you can smell the saltiness of the ocean riding in on the fog. Sometimes I miss that smell more than anything else.

• Frisco is a well-worth...

by azuara Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Frisco is a well-worth visiting city, so there are so many
    cosy places to be visited that I´d say I´d take someone
    everywhere.

Fondest memory: Looking at from my window at Berkeley and see the rolling
    fog often enveloping the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Perhaps I really miss its feelings, its people, etc.

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo

experience the fog, as its icy...

by topoftheworl Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: experience the fog, as its icy fingers curl over the city, and finally shroud its mistress, like a jealous lover

Fondest memory: Impossible to have just one... this is the greatest city in the world.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels