Food / Drink, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

IT'S IT ICE CREAM STATUE ON TOP OF ROOF
    by travelgourmet
  • VIEW DRIVE AROUND THE BAY IN SAN FRANCISCO
    VIEW DRIVE AROUND THE BAY IN SAN...
    by travelgourmet
    Seafood restaurants
    by sswagner
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

The best Ice Cream Sandwich, It's It

by travelgourmet Written Oct 20, 2010
    VIEW DRIVE AROUND THE BAY IN SAN FRANCISCO

Favorite thing: Back in the day, one of my favorite things to do in San Francisco was to go to the Playland at the Beach. Not there any longer but the memory, I still find a ride by the Golden Gate Bridge and around to the beach side of San Francisco a refreshing drive to stop and look back at the Golden Gate Bridge from Baker Beach.

Fondest memory: Every summer while I was young, I would vist San Francisco with my grandparents and the San Francisco treat was to go to Playland at the Beach and go into the fun house, ride the wooden giant slide and the spinning record, then tired out, go for a refreshing "It's It" ice cream sandwich. It was dipped right before your eyes in chocolate. A scoop of vanilla ice cream between two oatmeal raisin cookies to make the sandwich then dipped into chocolate syrup. It's It eaten at the Playland in San Francisco is a bygone memory but I still eat an It's It that I buy at my neighborhood grocery store. Still YUMMY! and it brings back the happy memories of the clang, clang of the cable cars, the shrill cry of the seagulls at Fisherman's Wharf, the fog horn from the Golden Gate Bridge and the fun house at Playland at the Beach. You can still hear the clang, clang of the cable cars, the shrill of the gulls and the deep loud sound of the fog horn but you will have to imagine the Playland as you eat an It's It you purchased from a grocery store.

• Beaches

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Information on Sanitation of Restaurants in SF

by mydreamquest Updated Oct 20, 2005

Favorite thing: The following web sites below are maintained by the San Francisco City and County's Department of Health. The following lists restaurants in alphabetical order with a score and a list of health violations.

You may want to screen restaurants ahead of time before you eat in them. Here's a list of Restaurants and their scores by District:

Chinatown, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf

Potrero Hill, Mission District, South of Market Street

Richmond, Tenderloin, Filmore

Noe Valley, Sunset, Haigh-Ashbury, Excelsior

Please, if you eat at a restaurant and find the conditions unsanitary, please report this. The City of San Francisco wants tourists and citizens to eat in establishments with high standards of quality which are sanitary.

If you notice:

improper food handling at food establishments
    no adequate facilities at food establishments (no bathroom, lack of hot water)
    rodents or insects at food establishments
    no record of health certificate
    noise in the unincorporated area
    contaminated property
    poor housing or homeless hotel conditions including:/li>
    electrical problems
    dirty rooms
    inadequate heating
    insect and/or rodent infestation
    leaking roof
    faulty plumbing

Please take the time to call in a complaint at (415) 252-3800 (if you are in SF and using a pay phone, simply dial: 252-3800).

• Singles

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Swensons Ice Cream

by sswagner Written Jan 21, 2005
    Swensons

Favorite thing: Do you like ice cream? Swensons is a chain that spread to many parts of America. It all started right here in San Francisco. Go to the corner of Union and Hyde to find the original Swensons. They have some of the best ice cream around. Although this corner location is small in size, some of the larger Swensons have a massive variety to choose from. I remember the "Earthquake", which was one dish of ice cream meant to be eaten by several people at once.

Fondest memory: Getting a good workout on the hills of San Francisco and finding the ice cream.

• sswagner's Profile Photo

The dining experience

by sswagner Written Jan 21, 2005
    Seafood restaurants

Favorite thing: San Francisco takes its food very seriously. i would compare it to the way that the French treasure the art of cooking and preparing food. There are certainly high expectations here. A wealth of restuarants and eateries await the traveller to this city. Near Fishermans Wharf, your best bet is seafood. Chowder served in a sourdough bread bowl is a very tasty and popular choice. You also have dungeness crab when it is in season. Besides the seafood, there are restaurants of all tastes and ethnicities here. Chinatown has some of the best Chinese food you will ever find. A lot of the ingredients are imported. These restaurants are not your typical run of the mill chain restaurants found across America. In San Francisco, you will find the genuine article. Typically, eating out is not my biggest priority on a trip. However, San Francisco is certainly a good place to enjoy finding a good meal.

For those of you who enjoy wine, don't forget that the Napa Valley is nearby. Thus, you will have a lot of choices when it comes to this.

Whatever you do, don't stick to a fast food diet here. Trust me, there will be some good food that fits any budget.

Fondest memory: Seafood and Chinese food (and sometimes a combination of the two)

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

the best "chain store" coffee!

by jglsongs Written Apr 17, 2004

Favorite thing: San Francisco is filled with coffee chains - and not only Starbucks, but there is one smaller coffee chain whose coffee is amazing!

Torrefazione Italia is not the most well known chain (only a few stores, mostly in the western US), but it comes the closest to European coffee bars (the ones whose counters are crowded with locals with the coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other). Since this is California, there are no counters and cigarettes, but the coffee will resemble Europe.

Fondest memory: The Torrefazione Italia on Battery St. (at California) in the Financial District is the one I know, and their Doppio Americano got me started every morning!

• madamx's Profile Photo

Food

by madamx Written Feb 10, 2004

World's Biggest Burrito

Favorite thing: I think my most fond memory of San Francisco is the food. On the whole, I found the quality of food to be good to excellent, and well-prepared, and the variety is phenomonal.

I read that San Francisco has more restaurants per capita than any other US city, and I hope to make an attempt to try as many as I can on return trips.

Fondest memory: I think my fondest memory of the meals we had was the humble San Francisco-style burrito. My husband and I still get cravings for them. I've tried to recreate them at home, and I think I've done a pretty good job, but they're not quite the same. As soon as I go back, I'm going to be on a bus to the Mission District pronto.

• neopetsfan's Profile Photo

Delicious..

by neopetsfan Updated Jun 29, 2003

A quick shot..

Favorite thing: Tip: Drive the Half Moon Bay from S.F to Belmont. On the way there is a small shack were they have the best smoked salmon you've ever tasted!! My mom loved the salmon jerky!! Here is a picture of the shack in Grenada.. When I see this picture I'am always hungry, lol.

• Niebaum Cafe

by reeka Updated Jun 8, 2003

Favorite thing: Perhaps one of San Francisco's most distinctive buildings, the Sentinel building now houses the Cafe Niebaum-Coppola.

It is a combination of Wine Bar, Cafe and Retail Store. The menu, in part created by Francis Ford Coppola himself, consists of Italian Cuisine, with Pizzas, antipastis and made to order pastas.

The wine bar stocks some of Niebaum-Coppola's own wines from their winery in Napa, but also other wines from California and around the world.

The store also sells wines from Niebaum-Coppola as well as merchandise and American Zoetrope films.

• Adventure Travel

• guell's Profile Photo

San Francisco Tap Water-Drink it!

by guell Updated Mar 15, 2003

The Bay Bridge

Favorite thing: San Francisco's tap water is not only safe to drink, but it actually tastes ok. What I should say that it has no taste, and that’s a good thing! Don’t waste your money on bottled water here. Just carry a refillable bottle and you’ll be set.

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery

by Djinn76 Updated Feb 14, 2003

The famous Boudin bakery

Favorite thing: Rather funny, maybe it is just me but I had never heard of it. From their website, Boudin is "world-famous" for its Original San Francisco Sourdough French Bread.
    Not sure neither I have tasted it but what I can say is that the bread I had in the restaurants was most of the time delicious.
    As a matter of fact, in french "Boudin" means "black pudding" and is not pronouced "bo-deen" ;-))

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Have a Red Bull and Grey Goose...

by Geisha_Girl Written Feb 25, 2003

Brunch Dance-Off at Kelly's Mission Rock

Favorite thing: We love having a Red Bull and Grey Goose vodka ......for SUNDAY BRUNCH! But of course we dance it off on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon at the hottest summer club venue! (clubbing on a Sunday afternoon??)

Kelly's Mission Rock is our "church." This is our religion.

Fondest memory: Good friends.....good times.....and the 'San Francisco treats' at Kelly's Mission Rock!

• Wine Tasting

• sargentjeff's Profile Photo

Eat the Sourdough Bread. It...

by sargentjeff Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Eat the Sourdough Bread. It is, in my opinion the world's best bread. Eat it fresh down by Fisherman's whart. Colombo and Parisian bread companies both make fantastic bread.

Fondest memory: going as a kid with my best friend and with my brother as a teenager. Having my credit card taken away and cut up because I went over my limit. OOOPs, the stupidity of being 19.

• I couldn't possibly list...

by EMSBIKER Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I couldn't possibly list everything here, there are just too many things..Seasonly speaking, I could tell you of events and must see happenings..

Fondest memory: Being able to get different types of food all over the place.

• MegSmith252's Profile Photo

I loved everything! A...

by MegSmith252 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I loved everything! A restaurant we discovered was on Powell (I can't remember the name). It sold steak. We each ordered a steak and it came with a baked potato and salad. Very simple fare..but the steak was delicious and the potato - oven baked all day- and served with a little butter was the best I've ever eaten anywhere.

Fondest memory: Just the atmosphere. The feeling of being alive and excited.
    One incident was when our bus derailed. Everyone got off and most of the men offered to help get it back on line.

• meetings's Profile Photo

What is a Cosmopolitan?

by meetings Written Feb 25, 2003
    Is this a Cosmopolitan?

Favorite thing: A "cosmo" is 4 parts Citrus Vodka, 2 parts Cointreau or Triple Sec 1 part Lime juice, and
    2 parts Cranberry juice (shaken not stirred)

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels