Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

• bus stop at the golden gate bridge south lot
    bus stop at the golden gate bridge south...
    at the parking area
    always packed
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

on beating the fog & not acting smug

by richiecdisc Updated Sep 15, 2009

atmosperically jutting through the fog

Fondest memory: The next day we were to meet them at the Embarcadero to check out a farmer’s market and then head over to Berkeley on the BART, but as D and I got up by the Wharf, we noticed the elusive Golden Gate Bridge was no longer engulfed in fog as it had been our first two days in town. So, we called them and changed plans. To make it easier on them, they met us up by the marina and we just walked from the Wharf area.

It was a magnificent trail with great views of the bridge along the way, but our cohorts were lagging behind us quite a bit. My friend loves to snap lots of digital photos and me still being in the stone age of film, am a bit more selective. Also, I know how fickle weather can be and I wanted to get up to the best vantage point for photos as quickly as possible. I felt bad leaving them so far behind but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I got there in no time and started up a trail to gain some elevation. I didn’t know exactly where I was going but I figured the higher up I got the better pictures I’d get. I was rewarded with great views and soon Doreen caught up to me, with her poor sore feet the victims of new shoes not worn in enough. We got some great shots and set up camp on a bench to soak in the scenery.

By the time our friend got to the base of the hill, the bridge was nowhere to be seen. It was again covered in a blanket of fog. We came down to meet them as there was no use in them coming up since there was no longer a view. I managed to not act smug even though I felt vindicated by my actions. Even when it comes to good friends, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, and I’m glad this time I did. Casual friends might have had a problem with this scenario but longtime friends know each other better, and accept people as they are. And when they are bulls to begin with they know changing the other person would be about as easy as changing themselves.

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

THE BAY BRIDGE AT DUSK

by LoriPori Written Jan 8, 2005

Bay Bridge

Favorite thing: The SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND BAY BRIDGE opened in 1936 and links San Francisco with Contra Costa and Alameda counties by way of an 8.5 mile suspension bridge.
    Views of the City's skyline are spectacular from the bridge, however pedestrians are not allowed on the structure. A $2.00 toll is collected westbound.

Fondest memory: This fabulous view of the BAY BRIDGE can only be seen on Treasure Island. It's such a romantic spot, especially at dusk.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

A STUNNING VIEW OF THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

by LoriPori Written Jan 8, 2005

View of Golden Gate Bridge

Favorite thing: This stunning view of the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE can only be seen from the vista point near Sausalito.
    It's as if you can just take a few steps and find yourself on top of this magnificent bridge.

Fondest memory: On the day that we were there - Saturday August 7- it was very windy at the top of the vista.

• ClareyD's Profile Photo

Biking the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausilito

by ClareyD Updated Oct 14, 2004

Favorite thing: If you are looking for a way of getting a fantastic view of the Golden Gate Bridge in a slightly different and energetic way - why not hire a bike for the day from Blazing Saddles bike rentals on Fishermans Wharf. While maybe not as laid back as sitting on the comfort of a coach or your own car it offers fantastic views of San Francisco in a much more personal way. The rule is keep to the cycle tracks or otherwise stay as close as you can to the water (without ending up in it). The easiest trip to do is to cycle 8 miles to Sausilito which is a small, stunning fishing/seaside resort which has a variety of boutiques, galleries and restaurants or a place you can just chill out. If you are not feeling so energetic on the way back you can get the ferry back to Fishermans wharf. They even take the inconvenience of finding a place to buy the ticket by giving you one when you hire the bike however only charging you for it upon use. Cycling another 8 miles takes you to Tiberon and then take a ferry over to Angel Island or alternatively you can always opt for Muir Woods. I would recommend if you can to hold out for a clear day so you can get the best views of the Golden Gate Bridge. Alternatively if biking doesn't appeal Tower Tours by the Ghiradelli Square are an excellent tour company who offer a combined day trip to Muir Woods and Sausilito.

• Cycling

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Glorious Golden Gate Bridge

by sue_stone Written Feb 7, 2009

Golden Gate Bridge

Favorite thing: One of the most recognisable icons of San Francisco would have to be the Golden Gate Bridge, and I have always been a huge fan of it (I do love a good bridge!). I was thrilled to have my first spotting of it from Russian Hill, and continued to be thrilled each time I got a glimpse during our visit to the city.

At 3347m long, when the bridge was completed in 1937 it was the longest suspension bridge in the world, but now ranks around 8th longest. The deck of the bridge is approximately 75m above the water, and apparently the bridge is the most popular place in the USA to commit suicide.

The Golden Gate Bridge is painted its reddy/orangey colour as it helps it to stand out in the regular fog that rolls in across the bay.

Fondest memory: We drove across the bridge, heading south from Sonoma Valley. I was so excited as the bridge loomed into view, sticking out of the fog. Driving across it fulfilled a long held dream of mine and the experience is now fondly stamped in my memory, helped by a few shaky photos taken through the car window as we drove across.

The toll to cross was $6 in Sep 2008.

• Architecture

• shivan's Profile Photo

Zooming the bridge.

by shivan Written Sep 17, 2004

zooming the bridge

Favorite thing: What a great fun is to take photographs in large large number when there is something like the Golden Gate Bridge in front of you to give the right tribute to.
    My new zoom lens is a perfect companion for these kind of games.
    This is taken from the military presidio point of view on the hill, the lowest in altitude and closest to the bridge.
    It is also the coldest because you'll have to walk and climb a bit to reach the balcony, and IT IS COLD

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

by sue_stone Written Feb 7, 2009

Bay Bridge

Favorite thing: Yes, the Golden Gate Bridge is famous and impressive, but I was also very impressed by the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge, also know as just the Bay Bridge. The Bay Bridge opened to traffic in November 1936, beating the Golden Gate Bridge by six months.

It is a two level bridge, with five lanes of traffic on each level. The length of the bridge (including approaches) is around 8.4 miles. That is some bridge!

Fondest memory: I was pretty happy to drive across the Bay Bridge at the end of our stay in San Francisco. We headed east, driving across the lower deck of the bridge.

• Architecture

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

The city by the bay as Journey named San Francisco

by Kodi01 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The city is magical with so much of natures beauty.

Santa Cruz beach has become quite famous, it is warmer than San Fran and is a hour south....as I recall.

It is a beautiful drive through the mountains to get there from Mountain View.

Fondest memory: Crossing the Golden Gate bridge is a must to d.

• Eco-Tourism

• shivan's Profile Photo

The Golden Gate, a 2004 view

by shivan Written Sep 17, 2004

The Gate

Favorite thing: This has been taken from the same point of view as I did in 1999.
    This monster is almost 2 miles long, a real miracle of engineering when it was completed in 1937.
    It is a toll bridge, when you live San Francisco through it heading north it is free, when you try to come back you have to pay 3 dollars just after exiting to San Francisco.
    WONDERFUL

• raevnzno's Profile Photo

see it from all sides........

by raevnzno Written May 17, 2005

golden gate flip side

Favorite thing: The Blue and Gold fleet has the greatest tours. If you take the one hour bay tour, you'll get to see the skyline plus the bridge. Seeing the city from the vantage point of the water also gives you the opportunity to really understand the layout, and plan your attack. Much as you'll want to, you won't be able to see it all do it all on one day.......choose your favorite and save the rest for the next visit.

• mingomatic's Profile Photo

by mingomatic Written Sep 28, 2011

Favorite thing: We only had a few hours in San Francisco, but I had to get my picture of the Golden Gate Bridge because it's so iconic. The traffic going over the bridge can be tough, but it's worth it. Just get off the first exit after you get over it and there's a scenic overlook to the right. Tons of people taking pics. I suggest midday to sunset for best lighting conditions for a photo. It gets cold fast here around sunset. Got out of the car with a tshirt, and it was nice. Within 20 minutes, it was freezing as the sun was setting.

• Photography

• furioso's Profile Photo

by furioso Written Dec 16, 2002

Favorite thing: The beautiful Golden Gate Bridge crosses the 2mi (3km) mouth of the bay. Completed in 1937, the bridge remains the symbol of the city despite competition from modern constructions. At the time of its completion, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world and the 746ft (224m) suspension towers were higher than any structure west of New York City.

• acemj's Profile Photo

San Francisco's icon

by acemj Updated Jul 4, 2004

Favorite thing: The Golden Gate Bridge is arguably the most famous bridge in the world and has most certainly become the symbol of the city.

Fondest memory: One of the most famous stretches of Hwy 101 is this bridge, which connects SF with Marin County. Its construction was an engineering feat that many people thought would be impossible in this blustery, jagged landscape before its opening in 1937. The two main cables contain 80,000 miles of cable, enough to circle the globe 3 times.
    There is a $3 toll to cross the bridge, but you can bike or walk across for free. The views of the city and the bay are well worth it!

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Golden Gate at sunset.

by acemj Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: If you plan to take photos of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, be prepared to deal with the fog. The city is often shrouded in thick, white patches of it. But, with a bit of luck, it can provide you with great photographic opportunities, lending an air of mystery to your shots.

• bonio's Profile Photo

See the sights, all the things...

by bonio Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: See the sights, all the things you've seen on TV are there, do not miss the bridge, Lombard St, trams ahhh there's too much, just go!!

Fondest memory: When we arrived we had a couple of hours until we had to return the hire car, so we drove down Lombard St and then across the Golden Gate, unforgettable.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels