Boudin Bakery & Café, San Francisco

The packaging -:)
    My kalamata olive loaf
    Signage outside
  • PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery & Café: You have to have the Chowder!

by PrincessMonja Updated Apr 25, 2007

I loved this place - A bakery downstairs and a gift shop as well (nice bits and pieces in there) and then upstairs a lovely bar and restaurant area.

I loved the bar (well some things never change!) and even though twenty or so travel agents piled in and set them selves up to do some work for a while, the staff were friendly and polite even providing stationary for us - (small note to the Brits don't ask the hunky bar tender for 'a rubber' - ask for 'an eraser' - saves embarresment all round!!!)

We all came back to this place whether it was for the shop, to buy the bread, the great food or maybe that hunky bar tender...

Favorite Dish: They are famous for their chowder served in a sourdough loaf - it's great. They also serve it with a ceasar salad making a delicious and rather filing lunch.

All the other items were tasty, but this was my fav.

(Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I paid - sorry guys!)

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery & Café: Sourdough

by heryanta Written Aug 16, 2007

If you have not had sourdough bread before you are missing out :)

Boudin bakery prides itself as one of the original bakeries in San Francisco (it started operations in 1849). They have a restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf and a small outlet near Macy's Union Square.

I like their Italian sandwich on a sourdough a lot - which is a cold sandwich with pepperoni, ham, olives and provolone cheese.

How does a sourdough taste? Well, it taste a lot like white bread, only it has a really nice mild sour after taste...you should really try it.

• Muya's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery & Café: For a famous clam chowder

by Muya Updated Mar 15, 2007
    Clam Chowder and crab sandwich

Very famous and full of tourists… It is very hard to find a place to sit !
    But we wanted to taste the real clam chowder and we were told this was the place to go.
    We had a crab sandwich and a clam chowder in sourdough bread. Really really tasty, but quite expensive and not very much on your plate ... and that doesn't happen very often in this country :-)

• IslandGirl10's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery & Café: Soup in a sourdough bowl

by IslandGirl10 Written Aug 21, 2006
    He thought he would be happy as a clam!

The bread was great, but the soup....well, let's just say I could have given them some tips on preparation of soup AND the temperature soup should be served! This seems to be a must do thing for most visitors to SF, but I say go into the bakery and buy the bread and stop at a store somewhere and buy some cold cuts or some butter and just break off the bread and eat it that way.

Favorite Dish: I had the chili, my hubby had the seafood chowder. I wasn't impressed with either....I did however love the bread!

• Boudin Bakery: BOUDIN BAKERY SCAMS PEOPLE!

by JREngland Written Jun 12, 2012

BOUDIN BAKERY SCAMS PEOPLE! I ordered a loaf of sourdough from them online for my mom’s birthday, and the bread was perfectly good. About two weeks later, though, a second charge from them appeared on my bank account for around $50. I had not been on the site since the original purchase, so I emailed them to fix the error. They replied that the second charge was for a bread of the month club membership, and since the first month had already shipped, I was stuck with the bill (even though I hadn’t ordered it). They became increasingly unfriendly and condescending as I continued to try to explain the situation to them, refusing to admit that they could have made an error. As of today I have submitted them to the Better Business Bureau, as well as to my bank for credit card fraud. You have been warned!

Favorite Dish: n/a

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Boudins cafe: don't miss the sour dough

by xymmot Written Feb 6, 2011

Try Boudin on the wharf, they are bread makers that has a nice restaurant on the lot. Big picture windows face the bay and there are good sights. Here is a clipping of their story

Real Flavor. Real History.
    In 1849, the Boudin family struck culinary gold. Wild yeasts in the San Francisco air had imparted a unique tang to their traditional French bread, giving rise to “San Francisco sourdough French bread.” Today, the Boudin family's initial recipe lives on in the hands and hearts of our expert bakers, with a portion of the original mother dough still starting each and every sourdough loaf we make. Boudin history since 1849
    Visit our flagship location, where bakers make bread with a recipe we've nurtured since 1849. Eat at our Bakery & Cafe in Baker's Hall, or shop for gourmet gifts in the marketplace. Stroll our museum to learn about Boudin's history. Enjoy the more intimate setting of our full-service restaurant, Bistro Boudin, or relax with a drink at our Bistro bar. Join us for a taste of authentic San Francisco, then and now

I hope that you enjoy the bread at least and enjoy San Francisco most of all

cheers tommy x

Favorite Dish: soup and sandwich.....clam chowder

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe: The Original Source of Sourdough

by TexasDave Written Sep 9, 2009

The original purveyor of sourdough bread in S.F.

Favorite Dish: Although there is a restaurant overlooking the bay on the 2nd floor, prices are higher. I recommend you buy a bowl of clam chowder in a bread bowl and take it out to eat.

• yann.ng's Profile Photo

Bistro Boudin: MUST TRY the Clam Chowder Sourdough bread bowl!!!

by yann.ng Written Apr 21, 2008

My friends and I actually takeaway the sourdough bread bowl and sat by the wharf to enjoy our soup and bread! It was summer, but the wind was a bit chilly for us, but the hot soup warm us up!

This is one of the 2 food items I've tasted during my travel that I long to taste again!

Opens daily from 12:00am to 9:00pm

Favorite Dish: BOUDIN SOURDOUGH BREAD BOWL US$14.95
    Choice of crab & corn chowder or the traditional clam chowder.

I tried the Clam Chowder which was heavenly and totally complementary with the sour dough bread..

• where2next's Profile Photo

Boudin Bakery & Café: Why is it called Sourdough?

by where2next Updated Apr 9, 2004
    Sourdough!

Nowadays "Sourdough" is seemingly all over the place...makes sense cause it tastes so good! When I was there I had a bowl of soup in a bread bowl. As I was posting this, I wondered where this came from and was surprised to find this answer:

"Way back in ancient days (around 6,000 years ago, some say) humans first figured out how to promote the fermentation and leavening of grains to first be brewed into beverages and then, later, to be baked into bread. This probably happened by accident time after time, until someone smart figured it out. Next our ancestors figured out how to save a portion of the fermented grains to use to "start" the fermentation of their next batch of bread. Since that time, humankind has been using and making "sourdough."

The story gets even better. Here is the link from which the above was found, and it explains San Fran Sourdough!

Favorite Dish: Soup in a Bread Bowl

• dila's Profile Photo

boudin bakery & cafe: bakery

by dila Updated Jun 16, 2004

bakery

a few times we had breakfast in this bakery.

Favorite Dish: tea with muffins (banana , nuts muffin)
    muffins about $1,75
    coffe $ 1.50
    tea $1.25

• luvtrvlg's Profile Photo

Boudini Restaurant: Don't miss the Sourdough Bread with Clam Chowder

by luvtrvlg Written Sep 19, 2008

This is a must if you're in San Francisco! You must try it!

Favorite Dish: Clam chowder on sourdough brea would be the best for me!

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Boudin Bakery & Café
6 Opinions