Cafe Claude, San Francisco

Out door seating area
    Yum Creme Brulee
    Me and Ro
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: A bit of France in San Francisco!!

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

My Coc au vin

Cafe Claude is a fantastic French Cafe with great food and atmosphere. The restaurant is located on a small alleyway in the financial district. This cafe reminded me of the wonderful little bistros and cafes of Paris.

The restaurant has a typical French touch, with its furniture rescued from a Cafe in Paris. It truly felt like I was enjoying a great meal with excellent wine back in my favorite city, Paris. The waiter was excellent in suggesting some good wines for some of the girls, while Ro and I enjoyed mixed cocktails.

There were five of us and we decided to enjoy a crisp evening at the outdoor seating area. Prices are very reasonble for an excellent French meal.

Favorite Dish: We started our meal with an obligatory cheese plate, then we each selected an appetizer to share among all of us. We ordered the Pate Plate, the Trouffle Mouse, the Endive Salad and one of the girls ordered the special corn soup which was excellent.

I ordered the Coq au vin which was quite good, Ro had the special pasta of the day which was the Fettucine Alfredo while the other three girls ordered the Salmon.

We finished this fabulous meal with coffe and I had the Creme Brulee which was perfect!

• Wine Tasting

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: French Bistro in San Francisco

by Rixie Updated Sep 20, 2008

I had lunch here with VTer royslaven (John) when he visited San Francisco, and we found the food and service to be quite good.

The only criticisms I have are unrelated to the food: 1) the tables are very close together, within elbow-bumping range, and 2) one section of the restaurant is very dark. I arrived first and was seated in that section, but I could hardly see the menu. I asked for a different table, and by the time John arrived, we had a lovely little window table. :)

Alas, there are no photos -- very un-VT. My camera was on loan to my daughter, and John didn't have his with him, either.

Favorite Dish: I had the salad nicoise, which was very tasty and contained small gold potatoes, slices of seared ahi, and tiny, savory olives. John had the chicken roti, which he ate down to the bone -- always the best review. We both opted for the carmelized coconut custard for dessert, and it was heavenly, served with little dabs of whipped cream and sliced strawberries.

• Women's Travel

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: Listen Up, Ladies!

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Nov 3, 2006

For those in the know, every night from 4-7 p.m. is Happy Hour. During this time, most of their infused vodka drinks are $4.00. Now if that doesn't scream, PARTY, I don't know what does. The resident bartender, Arnaud, adds his own special charm. Unfortunately, Arnaud only works on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights.

Decor is authentically French -- banquettes, a zinc-topped bar, French posters, and lots of candles. Tres romantique!

Update June/2006 -- I've been going to Cafe Claude since 1996. Over the past approximately 10 months, my friends and I had developed a good rapport with one of the newer (at that time) bartenders, Joel. However, when one of our group recently mentioned to him that another of us had issues with service lately, he had the gall to say that we expected free drinks from him all the time, which he couldn't always provide. Knowing that we tip him VERY well, that I've paid for his dinner at a Thai restaurant, that my friends & I have shared our champagne with him, etc., etc., we found his assessment of the situation to be extremely rude. In addition, Sophie, a server who sometimes attempts to help out behind the bar, often eavesdrops on our conversations and serves up a bit of attitude with food and drinks. When another woman mentioned to her friends that it would be nice to sit at an outdoor table, Sophie interjected "There are NO outdoor tables!" Not only was no one speaking to her, she didn't even bother to mention how long the wait for an outdoor table would be. When I ordered a Heineken, she informed me that they do not have Heineken. "That must have been the other bar!" I joked. "This is a FRENCH bar," she responded. I found that amusing, as I had just come from a French bar (Cafe Bastille) where I had been drinking Heineken. I also found it amusing because Sophie, though she speaks French, is decidedly NOT French. Neither is Joel, by the way. In short, we never intend to patronize this restaurant again. They've lost the business of about 5 of us.

Favorite Dish: Happy Hour aside, I like their French onion soup and the charcuterie plate (I'm a fiend for pate!).

BTW, for those of you looking for Mel (Claude's bartender for YEARS), he's over at Belden Taverna on Belden Lane. If you're looking for Jeremiah, rumor has it that he's gone to Supperclub. Please patronize them instead.

• Women's Travel

• caro26's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: home away from home

by caro26 Written Aug 19, 2006

Living in the bay area for some time now, i often feel home sick of that great french cooking.... until i found cafe claude. I was amazed to see that almost the entire staff spoke french, making me instantly confortable, but unlike the restaurant experience back home (Paris), everyone was polite and attentive to my dinning experience. It was on a weekend night, so they had live music playing. It was so authentic, between the bistro menu, the staff, and the ambiance, even the decor came from France. I loved the food and some great French wine to wash it down so much that I will bring all my friends for a real French experience since I will not be able to fly them all over to Paris.

Favorite Dish: One of my favorite dishes that night was the coq au vin - a staple dish in French bistro - classicly prepared to perfection. And not to forget the esquisite tarte tatin.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: An excellent meal

by scbelle Written Dec 13, 2005

We chose this restaurant for the number of rave reviews we found on various message boards, and we were not dissapointed. After our flights were delayed, the staff graciously extended our reservation... I was worried that this may be because they weren't very booked, but as it turned out, when we arrived at 9, they were packed, and had kept our table waiting. The menu is excellent--you can check it out on their website, and they also had a number of specials. Between us we had pate, coq au vin, a beef stew en croute that was a special that evening, the tarte tatin, and a chocolate cake that was more of a chocolate souffle with creme anglaise (to die for, by the way). GREAT meal. They also had a very nice wine list consisting of french, californian, and some other international wines. Another nice touch was the live jazz band playing at the front of the restaurant. Great experience.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Souffle masquerading as cake? Mmmmm....

On a side note, while this wasn't an inexpensive restaurant, it had an EXCELLENT bang per buck ratio.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: French charm . . .

by acemj Updated Jul 3, 2004

scrumptious roasted quail

Wow! Another great meal in SF. Cafe Claude's furnishings were salvaged from a Parisian cafe (I got that from the website) and the feel of the place is definitely evocative of good old Paris. The service was not at all snooty as you might expect and the food was great.

Favorite Dish: Gina and I drank a lot of wine . . . French, of course. We made the wise decision of trusting our server to select the wine (with price limitations set in place of course) and he picked a perfect complement to the roasted quail we ate. The cheese board was also amazing with a really unique selection of cheese varieties.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Cafe Claude: Cafe Claude

by bruingirl Updated Aug 24, 2002

An authentic French restaurant. It's hard to find because it's in a little alley. Great food and service. As an added bonus, they have a live jazz band playing in the corner on the weekends.

Favorite Dish: Magret de canard.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Claude
4.5 out of 5 stars