Gary Danko, San Francisco

by venteeocho
  • SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Restaurant Gary Danko: San Francisco's Best Restaurant By Far

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Nov 4, 2008

Restaurant Gary Danko specializes in French/Mediterranean food, and is located very near Ghirardelli Square. The service is professional, the portions are sufficient, and the food is amazing. I recommend the white truffle risotto, the pancetta-wrapped frog legs, the seared scallops, and the trio of creme brulees (eggnog, hazelnut, and vanilla). We paid $300 for a five-course prix fixe dinner, a four-course prix fixe dinner, two wine tastings, and two glasses of champagne; given the quality of the food and the service, we didn't find it exorbitant at all.

Favorite Dish: The cheese course is far and away better than at other restaurants, which serve you 1-3 small portions of cheese. At Gary Danko, you get a choice of 3-4 cheeses out of approximately 20. In addition, the server will give you the low-down on all of them.

• tarced's Profile Photo

Restaurant Gary Danko: The Cheese Tray is Fabulous!

by tarced Written Jul 17, 2005

Our dessert course

While this restaurant is very expensive, it is absolutely worth it if you're a fan of haute cuisine. You have a choice of prix fixe meals (where you choose a selection from each category) and I highly suggest you choose a prix fixe meal that includes the cheese course. The atmosphere is trendy and you see mainly groups of couples at the tables.

Favorite Dish: The cheese course is amazing. They have an extensive selection of cheeses and the waiter is very knowledgeable about each. If you ask, he will make suggestions based on your preferences.

• travelingbunny's Profile Photo

Gary Danko: Just Sublime

by travelingbunny Updated Jul 1, 2005

Whenever I travel, one of my greatest pleasures is visiting some of the premier dining establishments in the area. I always do tons of research, consult with friends, and book well in advance. Sometimes, all the effort and expense is worth it...sometimes not. In the case of Gary Danko it was most definitely worth it. The food was utterly superb, but what really stood out for me was the overall feel of the restaurant. The absolute attention that has been paid to every detail, from the décor, to the flowers, to the tiny waterfall in the bathroom made me feel that I had been transported to another world; one much more refined, decadent and luxurious than my own. They even softened the pain of being presented with the extremely pricey check by simultaneously gifting us with 2 beautifully wrapped banana muffins to take way.

Favorite Dish: They do a five course tasting menu which is gorgeous -and A LOT of food. For $79 a person I thought it actually wasn't too bad of a deal.

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

Gary Danko: Don't miss their famed chocolate souffle.

by venteeocho Written May 30, 2005

Every single dish that comes out of their famous kitchen tantalizes your taste buds to the maximum limit. I cannot say enough about their impeccable service - every detail is attended to, and the desserts are excellent. Try their famed chocolate souffle.

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

Gary Danko: The Relais & Chateau designation and Mobil 5 stars

by morochaargentina Written Jan 21, 2009

We got here by coincidence, my husband sat down at the bar to wait for me (I was taking a walk around the area) and WOW, what an amazing experience! Everybody was super friendly, not snobby at all and VERY knowledgeable of the restaurant, the chef the food and their wines. Just perfect service. We were not there to have dinner, but after talking to the bartenders, and finding out that it has the Relais & Chateau designation (only one in San Francisco) and they also have the Mobil 5 stars (for the last 6 years!) we decided to stay and have diner (it would have been silly not to)

They have a good selection of wines by the glass and a gigantic and very diverse wine list.

And I am leaving the best for last: the food! Since we were sitting at the bar, we had the option to choose any 3 entrees for $66 (which I think they can charge more and still be a great deal!) They give you a smaller than usual portion (plates are around $36) but they are still pretty good portions. You can also choose 4 for $83 and 5 for $98.

We decided to have 3 entrees from the meat and bird game menu:

We had the "Quail Stuffed with Onion, Foie Gras and Pine Nuts, and Quinoa, Wild Mushroom Risotto Cake and Pomegranate" and the " Lemon Pepper Duck Breast with Duck Hash, Celery Root-Garlic Purée and Cardamom Poached Pears" and the "venison with juniper berries and I can't remember what else" everything was delicious, the presentations were very nice as well.

Overall: We loved it! We'll be back for sure!

Favorite Dish: I loved the fact that you can taste diferent things everytime (and the menu looks fantastic, I wanted to try everything!)

• rf18's Profile Photo

Gary Danko: the best

by rf18 Written Feb 4, 2006

The food is wonderful, carefully orepared with superb ingredients, the wine list is reasonably priced and the service is dicrete and attentive. We live in Paris and have not foud an equivalent restaurant there at this price.

Favorite Dish: Foi gras, cooked to perfection.

• apseals's Profile Photo

Restaurant Gary Danko: The best of the best!

by apseals Written Jun 7, 2004

What can you say about Gary Danko? In my opinion, the best restaurant in the city hands down. An upscale, all out five star restaurant with the service and food quality that is unmatched. The cuisine is more Californian. The selection of cheeses is spectacular. The wine cellar contains over 1200 bottles in which to choose from. You will pay high dollar here but you will leave feeling that you have spent your money well.

Favorite Dish: I like the Horeradish Encrusted Salmon Medallions or the Pan fried Red Snapper with Saffron. The desserts are a special treat so save room for them.

• Business Travel

• Chiliweenie's Profile Photo

Gary Danko's: Total Extravagance

by Chiliweenie Updated Mar 18, 2004
    Gary's Dining Room

Gary Danko's is an experience and a mortguage payment. After all, its has a Relais Chateau designation. The restaurant is French by nature and culinary methods. The prices reflect the culinary expertise and the quality of wines on hand. An example of a full menu with matching course wines will run two people about $350. Yes, it was delicious, but I was thinking the whole time I could replicate the same dinner for $35 in my kitchen in Bruxelles.
    Yes, the decor is chic, the food is haut cuisine, but take out a second mortguage.
    The vodka martinis are spectacular, maybe thats why I didn't mind paying as much as I did for dinner. ((_._))
    A most memorable meal.

Favorite Dish: It was all terrific.

Winter Menu

Appetizers
    Glazed Oysters with Leeks, Salsify and Osetra Caviar
    Seared Foie Gras, Caramelized Red Onions and Grape Terrine
    Seared Ahi Tuna with Avocado, Nori, Enoki Mushrooms and Lemon Soy Dressing
    Lobster Salad with Citrus Segments, Haricot Vert and Mustard-Tarragon Vinaigrette
    Treviso and Romaine Salad with Banyuls Vinaigrette, Anchovies and Parmigiano-Reggiano

The rest I will leave to your imagination.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Gary Danko
4.5 out of 5 stars