Lori's Diner, San Francisco

3 out of 5 stars 20 Reviews

Several Locations

Dinner at Lori
    by KevinMichael
    A gander at the restaurant
    My a great Lori shake
  • Carmela71's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Nostalgic of the 50´s?

by Carmela71 Updated Sep 7, 2004

I founded that in most of the places in our trip around California, there is lots of places decorated in 50´s style.

I love that, since I was a teenager I loved rock and roll (well U2 came to my life and the soul) and used to dress like at the 50´s but that was a long time ago LOL.

there was one next to the hotel 24 hours open and another one in Mason.

But it was not the best meal I had had.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner at Ghiradelli Square: Burgers and a Ocean View

by pigletsmom Updated May 13, 2004

Lovely Patio at Lori's Diner

Festive diner in a very convenient location, in Ghiradelli Square overlooking the water.

Favorite Dish: Burgers, fries, onion rings, milk shakes etc.
    Great for families. Nice patio overlooking the bay with wonderful views. Very relaxed atmosphere with a great location for resting after some sightseeing.
    2nd Floor of Ghiradelli Square

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Lori's Diner

by sue_stone Written Feb 1, 2009

Lori's Diner

There are a few Lori's Diners in San Francisco, and we went to the small one on Mason Street one morning for breakfast. The diner was pretty full but we managed to grab a couple of stools at the bar.

Service was great - really enthusiastic and friendly. The staff all seemed to be having a good time yet still were very efficient.

Favorite Dish: A quick perusal of the endless menu and a decision was made - Lori's Country Breakfast for him (pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs & hash browns), and Lori's Special Omelette for me (minus the onion and mushrooms).

The food arrived quickly and servings were generous. Wasn't really a fan of the omelette - I guess I prefer a more 'gourmet' type that is less cooked and more gooey.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Not what I would call a diner, but alright!

by Jefie Written Oct 11, 2009

Lori's Diner at Ghirardelli Square

This is another place we tried for breakfast. Lori's Diner sort of pays tribute to the traditional American diner - it's not a real diner by any means, or at least it didn't feel like one. There are four different locations in downtown San Francisco, three near Union Square and one at Ghirardelli Square. One thing we enjoyed about this place was the fast and very friendly service. Breakfast was just OK: I had a cheese omelette and it came with some hashbrowns that tasted kind of watery. I would have expected a bit more for the price. I'd love to say that I enjoyed the atmosphere, but with the big jukebox and old 1950s car, it all seemed a little Disneylandish. Coffee was pretty good, though!

• mikeukw's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Great Breakfasts and Friendly Service

by mikeukw Written Nov 6, 2004

We were fortunate enough to find Lori's Diner, on Powell, on our second day in San Francisco and we ate breakfast there every day.

There was a varied menu and the food was good. The service was excellent and very friendly.

Would highly recommend. Costs around $30 per couple for a good breakfast, drinks, tax and a 20% tip.

Favorite Dish: My partner loved the pancakes, coming from the UK we are not used to such large portions.

• poetjo's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: To dine or not to dine...

by poetjo Written Jan 26, 2005

The food is good. You can get everything here from shrimp omelets, (one of my favorites) to cheeseburgers and more. Typical diner food though good.

The one located in ghirardelli Square has a fun ambience and a great view.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Omelet

• iclee's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Fastfood and huge portions

by iclee Written Nov 29, 2008

A cutoff 50's car, shiny interiors, stripes, jukebox, hashbrowns = Diner. Lori's is your typical American diner. Hubby wanted fastfood breakfast nearby so headed for Lori's (corner of Sutter and Powell). I am not impressed with service. We needed to ask at least twice for a couple of things before they were brought to our table. The resto was not even half full or half empty.

Huge portions for my appetite but then again that's a matter of personal preference.

Favorite Dish: Sorry, cant recom any.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Good Diner Food

by cjg1 Updated Dec 5, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Fries

Lori's Diner was a good pre-flight option for food on a rainy night. The restaurant is a 50's style diner that serves typical diner fare: burgers, BLTs, Milkshakes, etc. The diner was right down the block from our hotel and not too far of a walk in the rain.

The diner wasn't too crowded and we were seated at a nice booth. I was in the mood for a BLT and Liz wanted a grilled cheese. The service here was very good and so was the food. We managed to get a good hot meal before catching a cab to the airport.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Lori’s Dinner: ocean view

by mindcrime Written Jan 21, 2010

Lori���s Dinner

With nice view over the bay we enjoyed our breakfast here before heading to Pier 39. The omelette (which wasn’t very good) plus a fresh natural orange juice and an American coffee costed around 16 dollars so what we payed was actually the view :) The interior is dedicated to the 50s so we felt like we were inside a movie of that era, somewhat kicth but funny for us (there’s even a car coming out of the wall, pic 3). We wouldn’t eat here again though, they have to improve the quality of the food.

There is a big variety of ommeletes, pancakes and salads. Later you can try hamburgers, sandwiches or hot dogs but it was too early for us to try these things.

The restaurant is open Sunday-Thursday 8.00-21.00 and Friday-Saturday 8.00-22.00

• KevinMichael's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Cool 50's Atmosphere and Fun Food

by KevinMichael Updated Nov 5, 2011

Dinner at Lori

The ambience of this restaurant takes you back in time, in my case, before I was even born. It's like Back to the Future without Biff or Marty McFly and actually the restaurants are even decked out better than the one used in the movies.

I have a love for American milkshakes like the ones they make here.

This is not the kind of restaurant that you can find in any American city, but luckily, if you're looking, San Francisco has 4 of them and there are 3 others located just outside the city at San Francisco's International Airport (in 3 locations).

• joits's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: Just your standard breakfast place...

by joits Written Feb 28, 2008

There was nothing really special about this place. They served good food, typical from what you expect from a diner. The decor is the classic 50s diner. I ordered an eggs benedict which was delivered by quickly by an attentive waiter but I've had better. Nevertheless, it's located near Union Square and its a good place to cure those hunger pangs if you are in the mood for a quick meal.

This review is for the one on Mason St.

• azz8206's Profile Photo

Lori's Diner: So-So 50's Nostalgia

by azz8206 Updated Feb 19, 2011

Are you game for a bit of 50's nostalgia? Well, don't go to Lori's Diner because you'll be disappointed. I didn't know that video games were around in the 50's? I know pinball machines were around in the 50's but couldn't they find any pinball games from the era? And I couldn't find a jukebox anywhere in the restaurant. Or why they would play the soundtrack from "Grease"? It was released in the 70's. Maybe they thought nobody would notice? Maybe they thought they'd get away with it because it sounds like 50's music and is reminiscent of the 50's? I mean couldn't they find any actual music from the 50's? Are there no CD's out there of 50's icons? The waitstaff are somewhat dressed from the era. I mean, male staff wore their little soda fountain hats but that's it, the female staff weren't dressed in anything from the era. No long skirts and bobby socks, no hair in a ponytail. At least the booths and the brightly lit restaurant with neon signs are some sort of reminder you're in a 50's diner. Maybe it's me, because I was expecting too much nostalgia? I was thoroughly disappointed.
    As for the food, it was ok. Prices are a little high but the sandwiches are packed. I had the house club sandwich which was very good. The wife had the philly cheese steak which she described as average.
    Service was a little slow and our waitress was nowhere to be found for long stretches of time, although the restaurant was very busy.
    There are 5 Lori's Diners in San Francisco and 2 at SFO. We went to the one on Powell and Ellis, maybe the others are more nostalgic to the era because this one failed miserably.
    Each diner has different hours of operation.

• Photography
    • Architecture
    • Gay and Lesbian

• sjvessey's Profile Photo

Lori's 24 hour Diner

by sjvessey Updated Aug 25, 2002

Lori's 24 hour Diner

Open 24 hours a day - not too many places are.

Favorite Dish: Lori's Breakfast - pancakes and maple syrup, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee... the usual. Ok, so it's not exactly the healthiest thing in the world, but it sure does taste good. Who cares about cholesterol, anyway?

• Lori's Diner

by zChris Updated Jul 10, 2003

Powell Street

With several locations throughout Union Square, Lori's Diner is ubiquitous in the downtown area. The 1950s-themed 'diner' is usually upstairs from shops near the square, the one I ate at was on Powell Street (pictured). The service seemed pretty rude but the pancakes I had for breakfast there were decent. If you're fortunate enough to get a window seat admire the view of the street below. For some inexplicable reason, someone drssed up like silent film star Charlie Chaplin strolls the diner and puts on a show if it's someone's birthday. Go figure.

• NickiE's Profile Photo

Again off Union square is a...

by NickiE Written Aug 24, 2002

Again off Union square is a great little diner called lories diner. I think it may be a chain diner, but it's still really good.

The restaurant has lots of cool things hanging from the ceiling like old cars and aeroplanes, and it also has some old pinball
    machines.

It's really atmospheric and the service was great, a really relaxing places to eat out!

Favorite Dish:

The breakfasts! My brother tried grits just to experiment, though i think he wished he hadn't!

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Lori's Diner
4.5 out of 5 stars