Mona Lisa Restaurant, San Francisco

by Callavetta
  • Callavetta's Profile Photo

Pick one - you can't go wrong!: North Beach Italian Restaurants

by Callavetta Written Apr 20, 2003

North Beach used to be famous for it's topless dancers and strip joints. (Remember Carol Doda?) Today the Italian community has reclaimed its right to the place and it feels like stepping into little Italy. You'll know you're there by the Italian flags on the light posts. Pick a restaurant. You can't go wrong. Sit indoors or out. It's one of those places to linger and watch the world go by around you. How Italian is that?

Favorite Dish: This photo was taken from my car while I was waiting at a signal. The waiters beckoned to us to make a U-Turn and come have a bite or a vino. My favorite place is Pinnochios. They have fantastic fried calamari and the eggplant parmasean isn't bad either!

Mona Lisa - Ciao bella!

• tinyvulture's Profile Photo

Mona Lisa: Sicilian "candy"

by tinyvulture Written May 27, 2004

We stopped in here for lunch and had a basic cheese pizza and a bottle of Chianti. Friendly waiters, not too pricy. Oh and the ceiling looks cool, as you can sort of see in the pic.

Favorite Dish: The best thing was the "Sicilian candy." When we asked the waiter what it was he just started laughing and asked if we like garlic. We do, a lot, so he said it would be perfect. The "candy" turned out to be a big bowl of roasted garlic cloves! They are really good when you scoop them up on some chewy bread with a little olive oil. And you will not get really terrible garlic breath since the cloves are not raw.

Mona Lisa - cool ceiling

• fewgreek's Profile Photo

The Mona Lisa is the best...

by fewgreek Written Aug 25, 2002

The Mona Lisa is the best Italian restaurant is SF. It is authentic Italian fare. The food was great but the waiters are even better!!!
    Very reasonable prices for dinner.

Favorite Dish: Eggplant parmesean was delicious. Sourdough garlic bread complemented every meal.

• coa333's Profile Photo

Mona Lisa Restaurant #3: Mama Mia what a great restaurant!

by coa333 Updated Aug 14, 2010

The Mona Lisa Restaurant had outstanding food, great service as well as wonderful atmosphere. From the paintings on the ceilings that reminded me of the Sistine Chapel in Italy. The waiter allowed me to practice my Italian and immediately made us feel as if we were in his home in Italia. I loved the pictures of the stars who have visited the restaurant before us and enjoyed the energy the restaurant had.

Favorite Dish: I asked the waiter if he would alter the menu and allow me to have the Tortellini with Mare e Monti which is usually for the Gnocchi. It has fresh tomato sauce with prawns, zucchini and basil which was excellent. Add a little bread and Olive Oil with pepper on a plate along with a red glass of wine and you will be transformed to Italia.

Viva Italia!

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Mona Lisa Restaurant
4.0 out of 5 stars