Sam Wo - CLOSED, San Francisco

3.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

813 Washington S., San Francisco, CA 94108 (415) 982-0596

• Hey, I did say ignore what the inside looked like
    Hey, I did say ignore what the inside...
    by Graeme_Webb
  • Sam Wo - CLOSED
    by TGeiser
    from the outside
    by Graeme_Webb
  • TGeiser's Profile Photo

Sam Wo: Chinatown Eats

by TGeiser Updated Mar 24, 2012

This place is top of my list when I think "hole in the wall." It's an ancient, narrow little building with seating on the second or third floor. There's little light, the service isn't fantastic, and the whole place is a little dingy. The majority of the menu is greasy and mediocre, but the noodles are a force to be reckoned with. It's also dirt cheap and very authentic. If you're expecting P.F. Chang's like food, you're in for a crude awakening, but the atmosphere is so unusual I come back just for the adventure of it.

• Graeme_Webb's Profile Photo

Sam Wo: Sam Wo - Cheap Cheerful Chinese

by Graeme_Webb Updated Jan 1, 2007

As you walk though the front door, you enter the kitchen. Yeah, thats right the kitchen, at first I thought to myslef I must be in the wrong place, (expect a few glances from the Chinese employees). Simply walk past the chefs, as they prepair food. On the right hand side there are stairs, go up the stairs to the tables.
    The tables and the decor are not that great in fact a bit old and beat up. Broken tiles, old wooden seats and benches.

Don't be put off by the look of this place, the food, generally was good and it is very cheap, so for those on a budget, its great.

Sitting at my table the smells of oriental cooking from below seamed to fill the air.

I have been to Sam Wo's recently (after my first visit 5 years ago). Not much has changed it still looks exactly the same, but I have to say I was slightly disappointed, with the food, I ordered Chicken with Broccoli, the food was nice Except the chicken, which i found to be fatty and chewy, not very great, I suppose for the price though what can you expect. Personally if I was going again, I would order something containing all veggies.
    Almost forgot, they don't serve alcohol, if you ask for it, you will be directed to a little supermarket, where you can buy your bottles of whatever, then return to the restaurant and they will give you a glass and open your bottle for you.

Favorite Dish: EVERYTHING

from the outside Hey, I did say ignore what the inside looked like

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Sam Wo: A Hole-In-The-Wall

by Yubert Written Jul 28, 2003

This place is the narrowest 3-story restaurant I've ever been to. To save space, they use a "dumb-waiter" device to send food between the floors.

Favorite Dish: Pork Rolls

• Sam Wo's (Chinese Restaurant): Sam Wo's (Chinese Restaurant)

by joyful_song Updated Aug 25, 2002

The atmosphere makes you feel like you're in the Chinese mafia! You're led through the kitchen, up a tight flight of stairs, and put in a tiny, crowded room. It's hilarious!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Fried Rice

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels