Scoma's, San Francisco

1 Al Scoma Way (415) 771-4383

• smschley's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Scoma's - Hard to find but worth it

by smschley Updated Mar 26, 2005

Scomas's is one of our favorite seafood restaurants and one we try to take any of our friends to on their visit to SF. In 1965, brothers Al and Joseph Scoma took over a six-table coffee shop for fishermen on the pier and eventually converted it to the current 360 seat operation. Using their mother's recipe collection as the basis of their menu, the business took off as people spread the news of their experience there.

In the beginning Joseph was the "face" of the restaurants greeting you and building up a client base. Al dealt with more of the day-to-day business. Today Al's son-in-law Tom Creedon has taken over the day-to-day operations.

As they say on their website: " Voted "Best Restaurant" five years running by WHERE Magazine readers, Scoma's Restaurant continues to be one of the most popular restaurants in the United States... " You can take this to also mean PACKED. If you don't have some time on your hand you might want to pass it up. Unless you are the mayor, seating is on a first come first serve basis. Dinner time can get quite backed up, but we tend to make it there for lunch and haven't had too bad of a wait.

Restaurants are probably the hardest thing to recommend since peoples taste differs so much. What one person finds outstanding another can find mediocre. My wife has to have the best taste buds of anyone I've ever know so I figure if both my wife and I agree than it has to be pretty good. We find the food very fresh, well prepared and tasty. The prices are pretty high, but given where it's located and the other restaurants around, it's about par. We tend to stay on the prix fixe menu which is a value in comparison to the other items on the menu.

The most surprising thing is the building that it's located in. It's the original Fishermen' s building so some think it's rundown. For myself I find it fitting in with the Warf setting and evidently many other people do also.

Favorite Dish: I love the clamchowder and the seafood plater.

• altizachen's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Not enough bang for the buck

by altizachen Written Sep 12, 2004

There is a better restaurant on that corner

A poplular place with tourist since it is on Fisherman's Wharf. The prices are pretty high, about $30 for the main course. Don't go on a busy night or you will have to wait outside in the cold for about an hour, I prefer to squeeze up to the bar and wait for my name to be called.

The last time I went the waiter was friendly and kept coming around to see if we were ready to order appetizers. We didn't want any and gave him our orders. He seemed upset that we didn't want the appetizers so after he gave us the food we never saw him again. Our water glasses went empty. He finally came around and dropped the check at our table.

The service was not what you would expect for the price neither was the meal. There are many other places that you can dine in the area with better prices.

Favorite Dish: The Martini was the only thing that I enjoyed.

• poetjo's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Over rated

by poetjo Written Jan 26, 2005

To be truthful I did not like the food. I had salmon and found it to be dry with no flavor. One other visit for lunch I had a shrimp salad and found sand in the salad.

It is outrageously over priced.

The only good thing I can see about this place is the view.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Scoma's

by goingsolo Updated Jul 8, 2005

San Francisco

Scoma's is a fairly well known seafood restaurant, with a location in Fisherman's Wharf and another just across the bay in Sausalito. It is a casual restaurant that draws large crowds, eager to consume clam chowder in sourdough bowls and fresh seafood.

I didn't go for the clam chowder, even though its the specialty. The fresh seafood plate, although a bit on the costly side, is a good sampling of shrimp, crab and oysters. The crab cakes were the best part of this meal too and I'd highly recommend them.

• Scoma's Restaurant: World Class Fresh Seafood!!!

by Monet1967 Written Oct 15, 2003

This is the place for you if you like to be treated like royalty. Everything about this restaurant is amazing. The seafood is the freshest seafood that we have ever had the pleasure of consuming. The ambience was so romantic. The entire staff made us feel as if we were the only couple in the restaurant. The service, as well as the food was impeccable. This is one place that you do not want to miss. Every time we visit San Francisco this is the first place we visit.

Favorite Dish: For an appetizer we ordered the Mixed Shellfish Platter for two. The platter included
    Oysters and Clams on the Half Shell, Prawns and Dungeness Crab Legs. The entire platter was so fresh and each item was even better than the next. It was perfect to get our appetites begging for more. Each of us ordered soup as well. I had the Lobster Bisque and my husband enjoyed a bowl of Clam Chowder. Both soups were so creamy and delicious. Absolute bliss. For the main entree we both ordered the Aged Prime Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail. Neither of us have ever had such an amazingly tender cut of beef. It just melted in your mouth. The lobster was the largest lobster tail that either of us have ever encountered. It was so fresh and delectable. Dessert was a cup of coffee with a shot of Sambucca because that was all that we had room for. Our meal was extraordinary and we are always blissfully happy with our meals at Scoma's.

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Great Seafood

by sswagner Written Jan 21, 2005

Sausalito Scomas

There is a Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf as well as one on a pier in Sausalito. This must be my mother's most favorite restaurant because it is mentioned each time that San Francisco is discussed. While it is a bit expensive, it does have some great seafood. Likely part of the premium price has to do with the location of these restaurants. They are right on the water.

• Livermore's Profile Photo

Too many to mention. I have...

by Livermore Written Aug 25, 2002

Too many to mention. I have almost never had a bad meal in San Francisco. Eat anywhere in the North Beach neighborhood for fine Italian food. If you find yourself in Fishermans Wharf try Scouma's. Chinatown can be a little tricky to find a decent meal. I usually look for some place off the major thourough fares like Grant Ave. Try one of the side streets or even one of the office buildings. A good rule of thumb anywhere I travel, is find out where the local people eat and go there.

• My favorite restaurant to dine...

by Keoni Written Aug 25, 2002

My favorite restaurant to dine during lunch or dinner would be at Scomas, located in the Fisherman's Warf area off of Pier 47.
    Price Range- $45-$65 per person

Favorite Dish: Specialty Item-Lobster Tail and Filet Mignon
    Appetizer-Scomas Crab Cakes

• Scoma's: A tourist place - what do you expect ?

by clausm Updated Aug 6, 2007

Even though a SF tradition, this place is so well known/advertised that it's just too crowded. You're not considered a valuable customer.
    Food is good, by pricey. Other places in the area give you better value. Waiters seem to have the goal to fill every table 6 or more times a night. Once you got a table, service is fast but not personal. You just got done with your plate and you get your bill. And other customers wait in a long line to push for your table.

If you're interested in good seafood at the wharf , try the seafood aisle, There are many places who appreciate your busy more and have better service.

Favorite Dish: I tried a clam chowder and grilled Snapper. Again. Food is good but not worth the price.

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Good food with a view

by gypsysoul73 Written Feb 15, 2007

We chose to have brunch at Scoma’s. just because I thought it looked so pretty sitting on the water like that. Inside, the ambience was that of old-time charm. The view of the SF skyline from our table by the window was beautiful even on this cloudy day. Not having had enough of seafood, we feasted on crab cakes, oysters, scallops and prawns. The food was excellent and the service was gracious and friendly.

Favorite Dish: The crab cakes and oysters were excellent!

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Scoma's

by american_tourister Written Aug 25, 2002

On a pier over the water at Fisherman's Wharf. The food is just outrageous. I have never had a bad dish here.

Favorite Dish: Mahi-Mahi

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Scoma's
4.0 out of 5 stars