Straits Cafe, San Francisco

A restaurant in Singapore
    by kandl1
    Work of art!
    by Geisha_Girl
  • A *Spicy Hunk* and a *Spicy Funk* to add flavah!
    A *Spicy Hunk* and a *Spicy Funk* to add...
    by Geisha_Girl
  • kandl1's Profile Photo

Straits Cafe: A taste of Singapore in SF

by kandl1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A restaurant in Singapore

We just spent a week in Singapore (the wife was on a business trip, I tagged along) and had some of the best food we had ever tasted; Chili Crab, Roti Murtabak, Hainan Chicken Rice, Laksa, Mee Goreng, the dreaded Durian(!!!) and so on...
    We were craving the Chili crab a week later (as well as everthing else) and we remembered that this place is supposed to have great, authentic Sinaporean food. Well, it's not Singapore, but it's still pretty good. Good chicken rice, Laksa and Mee Goreng, but just ok chili crab. The crabs were smaller than what we got in Singapore. It wasn't crab season, so that may have something to do with it. Beautiful colonial setting made it look somewhat like Singapore, but without the 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, so that was nice. There are a couple more "Straits" in the bay area, but the one in SF has a more authentic feel about it...plus, it's the original.

Favorite Dish: While the flavor of the Chili (and Black Pepper) crab was great, there just wasn't enough meat on them for me. Plus, and very important, there weren't any of the fried buns to soak up the gravy. They were quite the necessity in Singapore. The laksa was as good as overseas and so was the chicken rice. I enjoyed the satay, but it wasn't as good as the Satay Club over in Boat Quay.

• hairpin's Profile Photo

Straits Cafe: It's all true!

by hairpin Updated Apr 4, 2011

I love this spot. It is really laid back, stylish but not too too stylish, with great combinations of food and drink. The food (tastes to me) like a combination of Indian and Thai influences, and is oh-so-good. It is not expensive compared to other restaurants. And for the combination of good cuisine and atmosphere, you definitely get treated well for what you spend.

Favorite Dish: Murtabak and samosas - what can I say, I love Indian and I love appetizers.

Ginger vanilla soda, mango lassi, and all their specialty drinks. Many of their drinks are truly original.

• Skylink's Profile Photo

The Straits Cafe Singapore...

by Skylink Updated Feb 28, 2005

The Straits Cafe Singapore Restaurant is a nice place with indoor palm trees. Located on Geary Boulevard in the Richmond District, it's away from Chinatown. It's more expensive but not extremely so. The food is good so it's not a 'just atmosphere' type restaurant.

They serve Laska, of course! It's a slightly spicy soup that people outside of Singapore have the misfortune of not eating very often or at all. The soup usually has shrimp, cockles, and noodles with a slight coconut taste.

Welcome Hilmi !!

by Geisha_Girl Updated Jun 20, 2003

Hilmi: Caught on VT!

Yubert's good friend, Hilmi, joins us during dinner. A bit camera-shy.....or perhaps a bit VT shy??.... We finally convince Hilmi to pose for the cameras with his dessert.

Just think, Hilmi, your lovely Turkish smile will be seen by hundreds of thousands of curious folks around the world!!!!

When we talked of Yubert's *virtual* mis-behavin' here on VT, Hilmi adds this, "Yep! I'm not surprised!"

Yubert is not a myth, folks.....he is REAL!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Dessert is served!: Is that a hint of MANGO I smell???

by Geisha_Girl Written Jun 20, 2003

One of my favorite dishes at Straits is their fresh mango sorbet. It's the best thing to glide down your throat after a tummy-filling dinner!

They serve it atop a bed of merengue and diced mangos all around.

I made sure to offer Yubert a sample without having to ask, "Wanna taste my mango Yubert?" ;-))

If ya'll know YUBERT like I know YUBERT, that is a very helpful WARNINGS AND DANGER tip!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Cocktails at Straits Cafe: Singapore Sling! (Or is that a Taiwanese Fling?)

by Geisha_Girl Written Jun 20, 2003

What's a VT Meet in SF without cocktails?

Yubert's *poison of choice* that evening was a Lemongrass Mojito. For ONCE, the Geisha Girl did not go for the mojito but to suit the cultural environment, I chose the RAFFLES PUNCH. A mixture of (non-evaporating) rhum, pineapple and mango juices...and loads of other yummy and mind-numbing nectars!

Straits Cafe: One Night in Singapore

by Geisha_Girl Updated Jun 20, 2003

Singapore Sling with a Taiwanese Stud at Straits!

Mouth-watering, delectable, enticing......melts in your mouth but leaves a BITE of fantastic spice!

(No YUBERT I am not referring to you!)

Our acclaimed VT resident, Yubert, made a stop in our fair city. After having just celebrated his birthday on Sunday, I welcomed Yubert to SF with a birthday dinner at Straits Cafe, a well-known Singaporean/Malaysian restaurant in the Richmond District of San Francisco. I had been there several times before and the food, still yet, never disappoints the taste buds!

Favorite Dish: There are so many dishes on the menu that are worth the taste. Everything I have sampled so far has been YUM!

Their Chili or Black Pepper crab is a signature dish but we opted not to do the "cracked crab" scenario all over again with Yubert!

For starters, the Murtabak (roti prata filled with minced beef and a curry dipping sauce), and the Roti Prata (grilled Indian bread with curry dipping sauce) are all great dishes to wet your appetite!

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

Straits Cafe: Best Damn Martini's

by wrldtravler Written Jan 1, 2003

The Indian/ Singaporean/ Malaysian Fusion Cuisine Menu can be slightly daunting, but the Martini's here are the nectar of the gods. The huge glass tanks filled with vodka have fresh fruits swimming at the bottom

Favorite Dish: Noted chef Chris Yeo serves exceptional food at this quiet, comfortable neighborhood restaurant.

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Singapore spiced flat-iron steak: Hot Beef!

Work of art!

The presentation was just as delicious as the dish itself. One of our courses was this Singapore spiced flat-iron steak with a spicy sweet and sour sauce.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels