The Stinking Rose, San Francisco

325 Columbus Ave., San Francisco, CA 94133 (415) 781-7673

Bagna Calda
    Spicy Prawns
  • 40 Clove Garlic Chicken w/ Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    40 Clove Garlic Chicken w/ Garlic Mashed...
  • apbeaches's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: Love the garlic!

by apbeaches Updated Apr 22, 2015

Friends recommended the Stinking Rose & we were not disappointed. We sat in a colorful tent & enjoyed the roasted garlic, osco bucco & garlicy deserts tremendously.

We went back again years later and weren't disappointed. This time the baby back ribs and pasta dish were also just wonderful. We had reservations because there was a line out the door.

If you like garlic; this is the place!

Favorite Dish: Roasted garlic with bread for dipping.

• The Stinking Rose: garlic wine sounds good, tastes bad!

by myproshop Written Oct 24, 2006

the stinkin rose was the best place we ate at in all of san francisco. the whole "garlic theme" of this restaurant might scare off the timid, but its worth the 48 hrs of bad breath afterwards.

Favorite Dish: the garlic clove appettizer is a MUST, its a wonder that no one else has copied this wonderful idea. at first i was hesitant to putting an entire garlic clove in my mouth, but when the 1st i put on my roll practically melted, i tossed caution to the wind and gobbled up as much as i could before i ran out of bread. i had the 40 clove garlic chicken which came with a side of the garlic mashed potatos, it was great. she had the garlic and chicken pizza which was on an oblong shaped dough, also highly recommended. and to top it all off, the garlic ice cream was not anywhere near as bad as i thought it would be.. another highly recommended item on the menu... hopefully this restaurant will make it all the way out to the east coast, im gonna try to make the sauteed garlic for dinner, wish me luck

• VWvaporChick's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: If you love garlic...

by VWvaporChick Written Jan 4, 2006

Cute place.. went there for lunch... they should have a lunch menu... portions are on the small side for the price... but the rolls and garlic spread they start you off with fill you fast! (and the bread and spread alone were worth the trip!)

Favorite Dish: BBQ chicken and garlic pizza! 5 stars

• Gay and Lesbian

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: Garlic ice-cream!!!

by UKDaisy Written Jan 5, 2006

To round off our garlic meal, we decided to try the garlic ice-cream. On first taste, it tasted OK, but then you can really taste the garlic. We couldn't finish it, even though we were sharing one portion amongst the three of us.

• bluewilldo's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: The Garlic Gods

by bluewilldo Updated Jul 28, 2003

This is a very popular restaurant that has a family friendly approach to food. Everything on the menu has garlic, but you can order things 'Vampire Fare', which is sans garlic if you're not a fan. They also have a very large selection of vegetarian dishes. It has kind of a California meets Italy approach to food that will leave you dreaming of more for weeks to come.

Favorite Dish: There are several items that, if the right cook does them, it's near orgasmic. Here are some of the best dishes:
    The lasagne with wild mushrooms, roasted eggplant, peppers and onions, spinach, mozzarella & of course garlic.
    If you are an olive fan like my mum, then I'd go for the marinated Garlic Olives as a side dish. They go very well with the Lemon-baked Atlantic Salmon thats covered in a garlicky caper sauce.
    But my favourite is the Neon Ravioli. It's multicoloured raviolis filled with roasted garlic, caramelised onions, cheese, and potatoes in a creamy basil sauce... I'm salivating just thinking about it.
    But wait, there's still desert... Have you ever had garlic ice cream? No? Well then be sure to try it at the Stinking Rose.

• Scotzman's Profile Photo

Stinking Rose: the place for...

by Scotzman Written Sep 7, 2002

Stinking Rose: the place for GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC.
    Garlic and vampires - who could ask for anything more?

Favorite Dish: I usually start with a nice bowl of garlic chili, Bagna Calda (garlic roasted with anchovies), followed by either some baby back ribs (with garlic barbeque sauce) or Silence of the Lamb Shank and finishing with a serving of garlic ice-cream. ANYONE WANNA KISS?

• poetjo's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: The Bordello of Eateries

by poetjo Written Jan 29, 2008

Garlic anyone? The bordello of eateries and I say that, lovingly

We showed up there on Saturday night after closing, though it hadn't yet closed. It was around midnight after attending a show @ The Empire Plush Room where there was much drinking and partying going on so yes we were happy and hungry. We were taken to the back where there are small intimate dining areas which seat four and are adorned with antique like mirrors and various lighting fixtures and chandeliers. Each room is housed within red drapes and there are about a dozen of these lined up in a row in the dining area which is why the first thing that came to my mind when we were seated there by the waiter was "bordello". Very unique, maybe a bit tacky to some but I liked it.

The food I thought was good. We all shared a salad, a roasted garlic dipping pan for our bread which I would go just for that and a bottle of wine. It was very tasty. I had the neon pesto raviolis which were bathed in a fettucine alfredo sauce, and when I say bathed - I mean bathed. My friends had the 40 clove roasted chicken which I actually liked better than the raviolis and my other friend had the ribs. They serve generous portions. We had a wonderful merlot, though I don't remember the name. Friendly and fast service. We decided to try the garlic ice cream and share it between us. I took one taste of that and almost lost the enitre evening's alcohol comsumption though another friend liked it so it's just a matter of taste. We didn't get out of there till around 2 in the morning. It was a fun evening all in all and I would go back there again, sans ice cream. I think tourists would love this place due to the uniqueness. It is located in the heart of the North Beach nightlife area of San Francisco. More Info at http://www.thestinkingrose.com

• Business Travel

• shadowmon's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: You like garlic? Come here

by shadowmon Written Feb 22, 2006

This place's specialty is the wonderful stinking rose, the bulb of garlic. You can get it for appetizers, for meals and even for dessert!

Favorite Dish: I had the garlic pasta. It was delicious and they do give you a large portion. I enjoyed it a lot. I was so full that I didnt have time to try the garlic ice cream.

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: A tribute to Garlic

by wrldtravler Updated Jan 1, 2003

Vampires beware of hungry tourists lining up for all the garlic they can get at this North Beach mainstay.

Favorite Dish: Must try the sauteed garlic cloves with Italian bread.
    Any of the pasta dishes are a good bet.

• ycwong's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose Restaurant: The Stinking Rose Restaurant

by ycwong Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite Dish: 'We Season Our Garlic With Food!'
    That's the restaurant's motto and you kinda get the idea....everything that we ordered tasted Great but we especially loved the garlic in olive oil that was superb with the bread...yummy!

• Skylink's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose is an odd...

by Skylink Written Aug 26, 2002

The Stinking Rose is an odd place. Everything smells of garlic and so will you if you go there. It's on Columbus Avenue between Chinatown and Little Italy. I think it is on the 300 block (side of the street with odd house numbers).

• Fun4you's Profile Photo

The Stinking Rose: The Stinking Rose

by Fun4you Written Mar 29, 2006

A friend recommended this restaurant to me and I would highly pass on the recommendation. My sister and I went to this eclectic and unique Italian restaurant. We split a great bottle of reasonably priced wine and ate a wonderful dinner. There is a wide variety of food all infused with garlic. There is garlic, garlic and more garlic. A little tipsy at the end of the night we caught a taxi back to our hotel. We hoped in the back the the driver said, let me guess you all just ate at The Stinking Rose!

• Luxury Travel

• The Stinking Rose (italian);...

by crackerjack8 Written Aug 25, 2002

The Stinking Rose (italian); kitaro (japanese cheap but good sushi); nob hill cafe (italian); cafe du nord; cafe riggio (italian); crispy cream (amazing donut shop in union city, yes it is a bit far away); IN-N-OUT (amazing fast food found everywhere round the bay area except within SF) AND YOU **MUST*** TRY AUTHENTIC Yummy MEXICAN FOOD FROM ANY SHOP ALONG MISSION STREET. THESE SUCK: most chinese restaurants, equinox, TGIF.

• The Stinking Rose: A must for garlic-lovers!

by smilewithme Written Aug 29, 2004

We went here on a whim, had heard nothing about it beforehand. WOW! Lovers of garlic and good food should definitely make a stop here. It was packed and we arrived just in time to be seated so I didn't get much time to look around. We sat upstairs and outside on a tiny patio (not much of a view, but great all the same).

As their website indicates, their Bagna Calda is an appetizer must and is their signature dish. Oven roasted garlic cloves in extra virgin olive oil and butter with a hint of anchovy, served in a piping hot iron skillet. It was yummy!

Our meals were also tasty and we were soooo full!

The Stinking Rose

• The Stinking Rose: The Stinking Rose - a garlic Restaurant

by Yvonne1980 Written Jun 3, 2004

The motto of The Stinking Rose: We spice our garlic with food! And that is what they actually do. Located up in North Beach, close to Chinatown entry, I would recomment The Stinking Rose to everyone that likes garlic. Most of the food is italian based, like Ravioli etc.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near The Stinking Rose
3.5 out of 5 stars