Tommy's Mexican, San Francisco

by sethhamlin
  • 7h0rn's Profile Photo

Tommy's Mexican: Pitcher this - fresh lime, hand squeezed margarita

by 7h0rn Written Nov 15, 2005

You would probably miss Tommy's if you weren't looking for it. So.. if you loooove Mexican/South American food and desire (not just great but) PHENOMINAL margaritas, start looking for Tommy's. It's a hole in the wall place as most good Mexican places are. It's clean, has a small bar, cluttered with ever-present Mexicans. They start making the salsas and tortillas at 6/7 am and don't open till noon. I can vouch for this because I've been up on east coast time and stood watching them make the food. The kitchen is actually in the front of the resturant and has a big window that looks out onto the street. I'm sure the chefs/cooks love that they have it. I know I adore watching people make tortillas, so I'm a fan.
    Before we go ANY further... FRESH HAND SQUEEZED LIMES!! Everyday they start squeezing and I'm sure make gallons of it. Tommy's doesn't ruin those luscious limes with just any ol' tequilla you wanna order. Nope. Here you can only get... 100% Aguave tequillas... and only the higher refined ones. Personally, Hurradura Silver is my top choice... so that's what I got in mine. After sip one... we HAD to get a pitcher. It's simply unavoidable. You don't get this kind of margarita EVER! Stock up and take a cab home.

Favorite Dish: Once I had that margarita, I had to get food... otherwise I'd be face down before I even got 10 minutes into the experience. So I ordered one of the specials - beef tamale with black beans and rice (here's where the S. American part comes in) and my friend had a bean burrito with black beans and rice. Both came with a lacluster salad that we both took a bite of and said... "no thanks" to. The salsa on the salad was sweet and just kind of ruined it for me. Now I grew up on Mexican food (Dad's from Arizona) and my mom worked her butt off getting the Sonoran Mexican style down right. I had it probably twice a week growing up. When I dove into my tamale... I had to call my mom. I haven't had one for years because they are always terrible and TexMex'd up... but this... this was melt in your mouth masa and pulled beef that just disintegrated into a flavorful ball of goodness. I ate till there was nothing left to eat. Beans are deceptive things... there seems to be not a whole lot on the plate... but once you get done with them... it's like someone pumped you full of them and you'll never move again. Add to that the pitcher of yummie drinks before us, I was very thankful we were staying 2 blocks away.
    Now with all this describing of it... I have to log off and go have me a nice cold drink. Enjoy!

• poetjo's Profile Photo

Tommy's Mexican: Good Mexican

by poetjo Updated Jan 26, 2005

We went to Tommy's Mexican restaurant after a long but awesome day at the Sausalito Arts festival. We went there for dinner and it was crowded though we got a table right away.

I've never in my life seen such efficient and fast table service. The bus boys could literally clean an entire table of four and have it ready for the next patrons within a matter of seconds. I was blown away.

The service was just as fast.

The food was good and very tasty with large portions served piping hot.

Will definitely go again.

Favorite Dish: The Cheese enchilada with rice, beans (either re-fried or black, a small salad with a very spice chile relleno. Very good and just the right spice.

• sethhamlin's Profile Photo

Tommy's Mexican: Best Margarita in the USA

by sethhamlin Written Jan 6, 2005

Tommy's is outstanding. The food is modest, yet very tasty. Maybe a little on the heavy side for some. Let's not kid ourselves - the reason to go to Tommy's is for the stupendous margaritas. I usually go with the house silver (Herradura) on the rocks with salt. If you are feeling like spending a little more, try Lapis Anejo (my favorite) or the trusty standby Patron. Tommy's serves the best selection of tequila "north of Mexico". So whatever your favorite flavor - seek and ye shall find.

Favorite Dish: On Thursdays and Fridays the special is a fish fillet that is not to be missed. The guacamole makes a great appetizer and the carne asada is outstanding. I usually go for the fried goodness of the beef chimichanga. You can order a plate of 2 but one is plenty!

• Smruti's Profile Photo

Tommy's Mexican: Margaritas..oh and some food too.

by Smruti Written Mar 27, 2003

this place is nondescript from the outside, but once inside, there's over 100 different types of tequila. Get friendly with the bartender, and you can become a Ph.D of Tequila (no, I'm not kidding). Ask about the 'Blue Agave Club'. The food is good enough to wash down the margaritas.

Favorite Dish: House Margaritas!

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Tommy's Mexican
4.0 out of 5 stars