Ton Kiang, San Francisco

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 8 Reviews

5821 Geary Boulevard (415) 752-4440

• VTers at Ton Kiang - me, Jessica, and RIchard
    VTers at Ton Kiang - me, Jessica, and...
    Dim sum at Ton Kiang
    by Rixie
  • Big Pink - Ton Kiang's exterior, Geary Blvd.
    Big Pink - Ton Kiang's exterior, Geary...
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: Dim Sum Supreme

by Rixie Updated Aug 23, 2006

Dim sum at Ton Kiang

VTer jessicadf introduced me to Ton Kiang, and I've been back on my own since then. It's the best dim sum outside of Chinatown. You'll see a lot of Chinese faces here (my own included!), so you know it's not just a tourist place.

It's family-friendly; the little kids are so cute. There are high chairs available, and the atmosphere is so brisk and noisy that a crying child wouldn't be any big deal.

I also like the fact that they serve dim sum the traditional way, with the waitresses coming by your table with each new batch of this-and-that, showing you what they have in the baskets, and letting you choose. It is not cheap to eat here, but it's worth it. The nice thing about dim sum, especially if you're hungry, is that it's instant gratification: the food starts arriving the minute you sit down.

Parking in this area can be difficult. If you're a visitor, I'd advise taking the #38 Geary bus and getting off at 22nd Avenue. If you're driving, you might have to park several blocks away and walk, or circle the block a million times.

This is a very popular restaurant, and they accept reservations only if you have a party of 8 or more. On the weekend, plan to arrive by 10 am, or there will be a long line out the door.

Favorite Dish: All of the food here is wonderful; it's hard to choose one favorite dish. Ton Kiang's steamed pork buns are especially good: light and fluffy and flavorful. Their chicken shu mai (little mounds of chopped chicken and vegetables held together by a strip of noodle dough and steamed) are lovely, and so are their pork-and-ginger dumplings. My favorite desserts are the baked custard buns and fried sesame balls, which are filled with sweet bean paste.

Vegetarians should be aware that most of the dim sum dishes contain pork, chicken, or shrimp. You might have to pass up the dim sum and order an individual plate lunch.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: great dim sum!

by rwlittle Written Mar 11, 2006

me at dim sum in San Francisco!

We've had a couple of friends & VT friends gatherings here, since my arrival, courtesy of VT member Jessicadf, who's been kind enough to extend a welcome to me here in my new digs. Bright, airy, and extending onto two floors, this is a good restaurant to get a large group together in and enjoy a great dim sum meal!

The photo of me here was taken by jessicadf!

Favorite Dish: Dim sum, which means anything but the chicken feet for me! (Nothing wrong with chicken feet, I just don't like 'em...)

• TravelSimone's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: Favorite Dim Sum

by TravelSimone Written Jun 26, 2005

This is a very busy Dim Sum restaurant, especially on the weekend or a holiday. There are so many items to select, and they continually roll them past. The service is typical for a Chinese Dim Sum house, and the decor is also about average.

Favorite Dish: Everything

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TON KIANG: DIM SUM ANYONE?

by LoriPori Updated Jan 9, 2005

LoriPori enjoyingDim Sum

Hans and I, along with Wanch, Annapet and Dulce went to the TON KIANG RESTAURANT for Dim Sum. What a treat! Our table had a turntable on it. The servers would bring out little dishes of food for us to either accept or pass on. If you wanted to try the dish she would put it on our turntable for all of us to enjoy. We had such things as dumplings, steamed foong jeng, otherwise known as chicken feet (yes chicken feet), chicken balls , prauns and many other delicious items. She would mark our selections on a form, which was added up at the end of our meal.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: Great Chinese Dim Sum / Seafood Restaurant

by Waalewiener Updated Sep 18, 2004

Chinese restaurant

Wow what a great restaurant
    Annapet & Wanch really picked a nice place for us to eat ,it was wonderful great food and very different fo us .
    They bring food to you ,you look at it and if you care to eat that bowl or plate of food you just nod your head (yes) and then they leave it with you if you do not care for it then you just say no thank you .
    So they brought many dishes ,and yes we did eat many different dishes of food .
    THANK YOU Annapet & Wanch & Dulce ,.

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: Great Place for Dim Sum

by leeludalas Written May 4, 2004

Ton Kiang

Ton Kiang is a very good place in the Richmond area for Dim Sum. Get there early on a Sunday for less of a wait (as you can see from the photo- many people are waiting to get in!).

Favorite Dish: There is a menu, but it is better (I think), to just wait for the servers to wander around and offer you such dishes as Shrimp and Scallop dumplings, marinated asparagus, Chow Fun, mango pudding, and custard tarts.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: The best dim sum in San Francisco

by jessicadf Written Nov 19, 2003

Chicken feet or calimari, anyone?

This is simply the best Chinese restaurant I know, bar none. The first time I visited, our family was the only group of caucasians there, which is always a good sign... They serve dim sum anytime, but at night you simply order from the menu. It's so much more fun to be there during the day, when the waitresses and waiters are circulating all kinds of delicacies.

If you're looking for something more substantial than dim sum, never fear -- their menu is extensive. The only thing I've ever had there that was simply "fine," was chicken chow mein, and honestly, who really cares about chicken chow mein?

If you're feeling adventerous and up for a huge meal with friends, order one of their banquets. Because of them, I now know what jellyfish salad (yum) and sea cucumbers (ick) taste like. I once had my choice of turtle soup or tapioca & coconut soup as the banquet dessert, and opted for the tapioca... which was delicious... I wasn't ready to eat turtle soup.

Favorite Dish: It's never on the menu, but if the waiter recommends the fresh steamed prawns, DO IT. I don't even know what they cost, but oh my GOD are they amazing tasting. Sweet, hot, fresh and delicious. My favorite veggie dish is pea tips sauteed with garlic. A meal isn't complete without their mango pudding with condensed milk.

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

Ton Kiang: One of SF's best Dim Sum

by wrldtravler Updated Jan 1, 2003

Large and bustling, Ton Kiang is managable and sedate compared to some the truly gigantic dim sum parlors in San Francisco. The two dining rooms (upstairs and downstairs) are bright and lively, especially during dim sum service.

Favorite Dish: In the West, Hakka cuisine is best known for its braised clay-pot casseroles. Other must-haves include beef-and-fish-ball soup (better than it sounds), steamy salt-baked chicken and any of the stuffed tofu dishes. The dim sum is phenomenal: fresh, flavorful dumplings without the least bit of grease. Prices are slightly higher than the going rate and you'll probably have to wait to get in, but the food is definitely worth it.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Ton Kiang
4.0 out of 5 stars