Yank Sing, San Francisco

101 Spear Street (415) 957-9300

Yank Sing
    Mmmmmm...dim sum!
    by Ewingjr98
    Green tea, pork buns, and more!
  • CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Good dim sum in a nice restaurant

by CruisingGoddess Updated Sep 14, 2011

Yank Sing

As a person of Chinese descent, I have to admit I questioned how authentic this restaurant would be since it’s not in Chinatown. My mom grew in Hong Kong, dim sum capital of the world so authentic dim sum is a must for me. I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised by Yank Sing! They had all of my favorite dim sums readily available and they tasted delicious! I found that most of the restaurants in Chinatown were of questionable cleanliness so it’s great to find a place that’s clean, has nice décor, and awesome dim sum! The dim sum here is a little more expensive than places in Chinatown but the atmosphere is much better. Definitely try the shrimp ha gau, Shanghai dumplings, and egg custard tart for the full experience! We also discovered that Yank Sing makes the chili sauce and XO sauce that you find in every Chinese person’s home so this place is the real deal! If you like spicy food, make sure you pick up one of their sauces too!

• RheaM's Profile Photo

Non stop tasty treats!

by RheaM Written Sep 1, 2009

This place is delicious, absolutely yummy.

Let's start from the top:

Location: The restaurant is in a old post office building just blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. This restaurant is NOT in China town- but still very authentic. The building is beautiful and a stop on some walking tours (we saw one).

Dining Area: When you get in, you don't have a clue how big the restaurant is- all you see is a an indoor atrium sitting area- it is when you get inside the dining area that you realize how massive the room is.
    Also- it was packed so getting in a few minutes before the lunch rush is definitely worth it.

Food: Some good stuff! everything came out hot and fresh. They are known for their dumplings but I enjoyed the bad for you fried stuff the most. My faves included the crab cakes, shrimp, egg roles and shu mai.
    Make sure you ask what is inside each plate if you have any allergies or food restrictions.

Try everything you can, but be careful- it adds up quickly!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Yank Sing - Dim Sum

by sue_stone Written Feb 1, 2009

A friend's sister recommended Yank Sing as a good place for some Dim Sum. There are two branches in San Francisco, and we visited the smaller one on Stevenson Street, one block back from Market Street. We arrived earlyish for Sunday lunch and were pleased to see no queue had formed yet (though had by the time we left).

We were hustled to a table and before we had even had a chance to settle we were being bombarded with plates and bamboo containers of tasty looking food. We grabbed a couple to start and ordered some Chinese tea.

Favorite Dish: The food kept coming past regularly, some on a small trolley, and other plates just carried around and waved under our nose to tempt us. We ended up having several plates, finishing off with some mandatory egg tarts. Food was fresh and enjoyable, service typically pushy but amiable.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Yum -- Dim Sum!!

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Aug 12, 2008

Open Monday through Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; Saturday, Sunday & Holidays, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Validated parking. Its name means "City of the Ram," which refers to Guangzhou (or Canton). Carts of delectable steamed Chinese dumplings, as well as fried spring rolls, Peking duck, soft shell crab, chicken in lettuce cups, salads, and custard tarts are rolled among the tables. Diners simply choose what they want from the rolling carts, and the small plates, containing 3-5 dumplings, are set on your table. Your card is stamped, then the total is added when your meal is finished.

Favorite Dish: Shu Mai (chopped shrimp with pork and shiitake mushrooms) & Har Gow (shrimp with bamboo shoots) dumplings are my favorites!

• Business Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Yank Sing - Just off Market & 1st

by Ewingjr98 Updated May 26, 2008

Green tea, pork buns, and more!

I had heard from numerous sources that Yank Sing was one of the best dim sum spots in San Francisco, but also kind of trendy and expensive, so I was prepared for about anything. It took me a little while to find their secluded location a half block off market, so I Was extra hungry when we arrived. Upon entering I was immediately greeted by the hostess and seated near the street-side windows.

We started with green tea and a bottle of sparkling water, then the dim sum began to arrive, and there was a cart back at our table every 3 or 4 minutes without fail. They had a little of all the standard dishes, and I thought each was excellent. We ate only the steamed foods plus a tasty plate of Szechuan chicken, but the veggies, rice, desserts, and even the whole roasted duck being wheeled about the room looked awesome.

The only drawback at Yank Sing? The prices.... our bill for about five or six dishes plus tea and water came to $45 with taxes. Similar dim sum meals for two in other cities usually cost me $15 or $20. Even in touristy Chinatown we've been able to find dim sum for as low as $2-$3 a dish for very tasty food. Yank Sing is expensive!

• newsphotogirl's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Best Dim Sum

by newsphotogirl Updated Mar 30, 2007

I think it's the best Dim Sum in San Francisco. And that's saying a lot. There are two Yank Sing's in downtown San Francisco and both are good. It's slightly pricier than other places but I've always had good service and good food. My favorite is the Shanghai Dumpling which is a pork dumpling and their specialty. I also like the Shrimp Dumpling or Ha Gau and the Steamed Pork Buns. The staff is very efficient. They wear headsets so if you want something that you don't see simply ask a server and they send someone over.

Another perk is the validated parking. I believe it's free on the weekends but check first.

If you've never had Dim Sum here is how it works. You can get a menu but most people just order straight from the carts that servers push around. Just point to what you'd like and the server will set it on your table and mark your ticket. The different carts have everything from dumplings to side dishes to desserts. When you're done the server will add everything up.

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Excellent dim sum

by sinjabc Written Jan 4, 2007

I was lucky enough to have a gift certificate. We went early Saturday morning and sat at a table in the building atrium. The dim sum and service were excellent. We arrived at about 11 am and beat the lineup. The servers have radios, so you can ask them when certain items will be coming by.

We had mushroom balls, shrimp dumplings, potstickers, and roast duck with buns and hoisin sauce (easly my new favourite). We finished with mango custard and fruit salad. The bill for two people was easily $50.

• tere1's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Best Dim Sum in San Francisco!

by tere1 Written Aug 1, 2006

Sesame sweet balls

This is an excellent restaurant. Best Dim Sum I have had and the best chinese food too. You will want to try everything here. The decoration is very nice and sober and the staff are very efficient and helpful. You don't have to wait long to be served.

Their Peking Duck is out of this world and so are the shrimp dumplings. Many many different dishes to choose from as well as many vegetarian options. I really loved this restaurant, though it's a bit pricy it's well worth it. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: The Peking Duck and the Sesame sweet balls

• Business Travel

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Yank Sing

by goingsolo Updated Jul 5, 2005

San Francisco

Yank Sing is a highly recommended place for dim sum, although there are probably more authentic establishments to be found within the city limits. The restaurant is located in the Financial District and serves dim sum every day from late morning to early afternoon. The places draws quite a big crowd too due to its location and popularity.

A lot of the dishes seemed pretty basic and "Americanized" for lack of a better word. There were selections of dumplings with pork, shrimp or vegetables and even egg rolls, in addition to pork buns (which were very good), scallion cakes and other standard fare, with a lot of vegetarian selections. A few selections tended more towards the traditional with Peking duck and even chicken feet, which were not too popular with the Financial District crowd. I wanted to try those but I was too, well, never mind. That one is too easy. There's also a dessert cart for anyone who hasn't had their fill after several rounds of the dum sum carts.

In addition to the large dining room, there is an outdoor courtyard area which is lacking in scenery but a great setting on a typically sunny day. The servers are friendly and will explain the dishes to you if you ask and need their assistance. The service is pretty quick and efficient too, seemingly designed for those who want to eat quickly and get back to work or sightseeing.

Favorite Dish: I was pretty partial to the pork buns and thought they were better than average. The shrimp dumplings were good too, but nothing special.

• karin1972's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Great Dim Sum

by karin1972 Written Jun 15, 2005

Although the wait can be long and the prices are somewhat high, I enjoyed my time here. The dim sum has always been tasty and fresh. Don't forget to check out a variety of dim sum, prior to getting too full on one kind :-)

Favorite Dish: Most of the Dim Sum is quite good.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Amazing Dim Sum!

by rmdw Written Jan 1, 2005

Dining at Yank Sing Dim Sum

Growing up in Vancouver, I'm a big fan and longtime veteran of Dim Sum. If you're not familiar with this type of food, just think little dumplings, Chinese style.

The interesting thing about Yank Sing is that they offer a whole lot of Dim Sum offerings that I'd never had before. So in addition to the basics being delicious, I was also pleased to be able to try many new varieties!

It's more expensive than your average Dim Sum but well worth it.

Reservations strongly recommended!

• guell's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Chinese Dim Sum-The Best in the City

by guell Updated Jul 20, 2003

map of locale

This place has the best Dim Sum I have ever had. I eat here all the time! For those of you who have never had Dim Sum, you're in for a treat. While you sit at your table, the server brings carts full of delicious dishes including Peking Duck, a large selection of steamed dumplings, and much more. You simply point to what you want, and the server will put it on the table.

Favorite Dish: I love the large selection of dumplings. Everything is so good! However, I'm not too keen on the desserts.

• jetimblin's Profile Photo

Yank Sing: Good Chinese Dim Sum

by jetimblin Written Feb 18, 2004

Me eating Dim Sum at Yak SIng

This restaurant offers a wide array of excellent dim sum. Prices are a bit more expensive than most other dim sum places, but in general the food is good.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Yank Sing
4.0 out of 5 stars