Specialty Shops, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

Day Dreams in SF
    bongs galore!
    by dustmon
  • outside on the street in front--hilarious!
    outside on the street in...
  • dustmon's Profile Photo

Day Dreamz Smoke Shop: Haight head shops

by dustmon Written May 19, 2012
    Day Dreams in SF

Looking for a bong? Vaper? Papers? We went looking for 2 Tshirts for souveneers and the owner had some good ones, and was very friendly. Got 2 shirts for $22 and were pretty pleased. Definitely recommended if in the area...

What to buy: head shop stuff

What to pay: average

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Specialty Shops: Anthropologie

by Gypsystravels Updated May 7, 2012

Home Furnishings

Anthropolie is a chain store with locations throughout the country. They sell everything here, from clothing, house goods, candles (my favorite), books, shoes, home furnishings, kitchen cabinet door knobs (some of the most interesting I have seen), as well as an assortment of bags and other accessories.

I'm not a big fan of their clothing this just looked cheaply made and too "shabby chick" for my liking, but I totally love their home furnishings and of course their candles. My favorite is the Aloha Orchid which makes our bedroom smell wonderful and reminds us of our trip to Hawaii!!

What to buy: I picked up some of my favorite candles, I also bought an interesting book for a present.

What to pay: About average

Specialty Shops: Boudin

by machomikemd Updated Oct 12, 2011
    to the store

Boudin Bakery is world-famous for its Original San Francisco Sourdough French Bread, which is baked with the same "Mother Dough" or Sourdough Starter used since 1849. by it's founder Isildore Boudin. Born in the Gold Rush, Boudin Bakery is the oldest business in San Francisco. The bakery still uses the same "starter" yeast culture it developed during the California Gold Rush. One must never leave San Francisco without partaking of this Revered San Francisco Institution and you can mix your clam chowder within then bread itself.

opens: Sunday to Thursday: 11:30 am to 9:00 pm
    Fridays and Saturdays 11:30 am to 10:00 pm

What to buy: If you want a light lunch or dinner, you can get a bread bowl filled with creamy clam chowder to die for. No trip to San Francisco would be complete without taking several loaves of San Francisco sourdough bread home (although clam chowders are better in seattle specifically at Ivar's, they don't have the tasty sourdough bread of San Francisco!). It's a place to bring your out-of-town friends here to impress or entertain them. The glass building was built only 7 years ago. There're usually a small crowd gathered along the Jefferson St where you can peek in to see the making of the monstrous shaping bread: Lobster, big crab, and crocodile. San Francisco's famous clam chowder is hold in a sourdough bread bowl for $ 9 per order. They even have a bistro upstairs at the second floor with a view of the Bay.

What to pay: not a dent on your wallet

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• MIshasf: A Cool Gift Shop to Visit

by GreatlifeSF Updated Jun 7, 2011

Yes, I bought all the souvenirs in this shop.
    It was an accident to walk into this gift store after I had my lunch at Polk Street. The samurai umbrella in the window got my attention. This umbrella looks like a real samurai. I mean it does exactly. You can carry it like a Japanese warrior. I was told that policemen will stop you on the street if you carry it like that. It happened to its other customers. That is so cool. I know what I will dress like during the Halloween.
    In the back of the store, it has lots of odd toys, like Rubik's cube flashlight and pens, vintage slink dog, star trek 3-D kites, Mr. and Mrs. Potato heads. I got the slink dog toy for my cousin. I bought some Hello Kitty; Batman and Green lantern wallets for my friends. They are so thin and mighty. They are made of some kind of recycle materials. The store somehow looks like a small-scale museum gift shop.

The store also has lots of beautiful beautiful greeting cards. Unlike what you get in Walgreen or in Wal-mart, the cards are letter-press and very artisan. They are some 3-D as well.

If you travel to San Francisco, I recommend you to stop by in this store by taking California cable car. It is very convenient. There are lots of good restaurants around it too.

What to buy: -Stationary
    -Greeting cards
    -Toys
    -Accessories
    - Lego flashing lights

What to pay: The store has the items from $0.99-$299. Its price range is very reasonable.

• Cycling
    • Singles
    • Adventure Travel

• Specialty Shops: Antique Rugs from Mansour

by AnneRobertson Updated Jun 1, 2011

Mansour has the most amazing selection of antique, reproduction and modern rugs. These are investment quality pieces at excellent prices.

What to buy: Buying an antique rug whilst visiting one of the most beautiful cities in the US might not seem the obvious thing to do but for me it was a must! I'd been searching for a while and most dealers near me only have a small selection, but I heard about Mansour opening a new showroom in the Galleria at the Design Center. A short cab ride later and I was in rug heaven - antique Sultanabad's, Serapi's, Khotan's and Tabriz. The process was made easy by the helpful staff and I found the perfect piece which they are shipping home for me.

• Architecture

• Mansour: Antique Rug buying in San Francisco

by designmynded Written May 31, 2011

Coming to San Francisco there are a lot of listings for antique shops, but I was having a hard time finding a fine antique rug dealer in the city. I did a bit more on-line research for antique rugs and found out that Mansour had opened a shop in San Francisco. If you like antique rugs, you know Mansour, who has showrooms in Beverly Hills and London. I was very surprised to find Mansour's fantastic collection of antique rugs and helpful staff in a very convenient location in the San Francisco Design Center. They have a wonderful, large selection of antique rugs in a range of sizes and price points. I highly recommend you explore Mansour rugs if you are looking for an antique rug to add warmth and personality to your home, like I did.

What to buy: Antique rugs are their specialty, but they do also offer a large collection of modern and reproduction rugs.

What to pay: It really depends on the rug you are looking at, they range greatly based on age, size, condition and the type of rug.

Specialty Shops: LOUIS VUITTON Bloomingdales

by machomikemd Updated Aug 29, 2008

shopping!

This is the smaller branch of louis vuitton and is located inside Bloomingdales in Westfield Mall. It has a slightly less items on sale since it is only about 1/4 the size of the Branch at Union Square but STILL it is s LOUIS VUITTON!

Louis Vuitton, the Most Copied Brand (and most sought after brand) in the World was Founded by Malletier Louis Vuitton in 1854, never would he realize that it would become a status symbol and a most copied brand in the world! need I need a more thorough explanation?

What to buy: A small business card monogram wallet costs $ 250, a damier florin wallet cost $ 395, A damier melville bag costs $ 1200. A Monogram belt will cost $ 400 and a Damier Travelling Bag will cost about $ 1,800 medium and $ 2,500 large.

What to pay: maxx out your credit card!

• Business Travel

Specialty Shops: Apple Store Union Square

by machomikemd Updated Aug 16, 2008

outside

Cool Place for Die Hard Apple and Ipod Techies (like me), thanks a lot Steve jobs

What to buy: Ipod Classic, Imac, Ipod Video Classic, Ipod Touch, Ipod Nano, Ipod Shuffle, I-phone, Iphone 3G (by order only), Ipod Shuffle and A lot more Apple products

What to pay: $ 499 for an Ipod Touch 32 Gigabyte Memory; $ 300 for a 160 Gigabyte Ipod Video Classic; $ 299 for a New Iphone 3g

• Business Travel

• Sweensie's Profile Photo

Specialty Shops: How to woo a chocolate lover

by Sweensie Updated Jul 8, 2008

I knew there was a Sees chocolate store in San Francisco as I received a box of them from an exchange pal a couple of years ago.
    When we took an open bus ride of San Francisco, we passed it, and I was excited to see it was down market Street, and walkable from my hotel (oh ooh!!). We then came across a smaller version on Union Square, which sold mainly the already boxed chocolates,, this was on a sunday so when I asked if the other shop sold individual chocolates, I was told that it did but it was closed that day. We went the next day and filled a box with different chocolates. The shop on Market st also does the already boxed chocolates.
    Wonderful choc's!
    While you are browsing, sales people come along and give you samples of the chocolates, very nice touch!
    (photo to come)

What to buy: Peanut brittle is especially good, and you can buy individual bars of these as well as a box of them.
    I love chewy toffees and chocolate with nuts in them, and anything chewy, within reason, so I got my fill here!
    We actually ate the whole box on the next leg of our honeymoon, in Aruba.

What to pay: You can buy individual chocolates, I think, but I didn't get the prices of them.
    Small boxes start from about $5-6 and there are other things like lolly pops also

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Bombay Bazaar: Chyawanprash for health

by sunshine9689 Updated Mar 30, 2008

I am into natural remedies and supplements and this tip is about one of them - Indian honey/jam called Chyawanprash.
    I wrote 'honey/jam' cause I do not have a word for that dark, rich, spicy spread made with 43 ingredients (like clove, cinnamon, asparagus, cherry, liquorice, sandalwood, chestnut.., etc).

It`s a few thousand years old recipe, popular in India and among my Russian friends. :-)

What does it do?
    Strengthens immune system, helps with mood swings, fights depression/stress/asthma and low libido, lowers cholesterol, reduces the risk of heart attack/stroke, improves memory/brain function/attention, rejuvenates skin.
    But, hey, do not take my word for it. Read more here.

How do you eat it?
    15-20 minutes before food.
    1/2 to 2 teaspoons twice daily for adults with milk, green tea or just water. It is advised to eat it slowly, taking your time.
    Kids older than 4 can eat 1/4 to 1 teaspoon twice daily.
    It is recommended to take it for 3 months a year.

If interested, I payed $8 for a 17.65 oz (500g) jar at Bombay Bazaar. This place is located right next to a well-known Bombay Ice Creamery selling very tasty ice-creams ($2.5 for a scoop, 0.50 for a cone). My favorite is definitely a Pistachio.

What to buy: Chyawanprash.

What to pay: $8 for a jar.

• poetjo's Profile Photo

Lark In The Morning: Musically Inclined?

by poetjo Updated Jan 30, 2008

Lark In the Morning
    2801 Leavenworth Street
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    (415) 922-4277
    Category: Musical Instruments & Teachers
    Neighborhood: Fisherman's Wharf

Love this place. Located on the ground floow within the Del Monte Square cannery it's got everything from guitars, to bozoukis, to drums and dulcimers and so much more. I love to just stroll in there and check out all the different instruments from various parts of the world. Bought a pair of bongo drums in there just because I liked them. Great place to hang out if you like any kind of music.

You are allowed to test the instruments. It is fun even if you are not musically inclined you will enjoy this shop.

• Music

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Oxenrose: In Need Of A Trim?

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Jan 22, 2006

This is the place to go if you're in the mood to change your look, whether it be a trim, a drastically different cut, a perm, or a new haircolor. This ultra-trendy salon in Hayes Valley gives you more bang for your buck! I highly recommend Brian; he transformed my black waist-length hair with a bad perm to a layered above-the-shoulder cut in chocolate brown!

What to buy: Fudge dyes are their specialty.

What to pay: Haircuts start at $40, color at $50, and perms at $75.

• madamx's Profile Photo

Old Shanghai

by madamx Updated Aug 18, 2005

Beaded purses

Chinatown has plenty of shops, filled with plenty of the usual tacky tourist items, and as my eyes glazed over wandering the streets, this particular shop suddenly caught my eye.

Old Shanghai is filled with beautiful home decor items and chinese fashion items as well. The selection here is marvelous and very tasteful, and as the name suggests, is reminiscent of genteel Chinese times gone by. The items I looked at were, I thought, quite inexpensive for what you were getting.

Beautiful beaded purses can be had at about $30.00 or less, and the unusual shell
    shell purses caught my eye too - the purses are covered with small squares of mother of pearl, all individually stitched, and I thought a bargain at approx $40.00. There was a large selection of traditional chinese dresses (cheongsams) in beautiful non-traditional modern colors, such as pale blush pink and beige brocade.

The home decor items ranged from hand-carved boxes, to Chinese antiques and the most wonderful silk lanterns and pillow covers in contemporary colors such as aubergine, olive, and taupe.

Even if you aren't buying, this place is totally worth a browse.

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo

Specialty Shops: City Lights Bookstore

by Minstrelette Updated Jul 2, 2005

City Lights Bookstore

This is a great place to find a ton of beat books and much more. This bookstore has atmosphere and charm. With its creaky floors and little nooks to sit and read, this is a great place to spend a few hours.

What to buy: large selection of beat books

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Passanisi: Plants, Flowers & Pottery

by SFHulaGIrl Written Jun 17, 2004

One of a number of places at the San Francisco Flower Mart.

What to buy: Fresh flowers at wholesale prices to woo your special someone, of course!!

What to pay: They were selling sunflowers for $3/bunch, peonies for $8/bunch, dahlias for $6/bunch, cornflowers for $3/bunch, and (slightly older) white lilies for $3/bunch.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels