Candlestick Park / SF 49'ers, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

football!
    by machomikemd
    Near My Place
    by machomikemd
  • Candlestick Park / SF 49'ers
    by lynmur
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Monster Park? 3Com Park? Candlestick Park!

by machomikemd Updated Apr 4, 2011

Originally built for the San Francisco Giants (who moved to Pac Bell or SBC Park) in 2000, Monster Park has been the home of the 49ers since 1971. Although Candlestick Park was built for the Giants, the Beatles played their last concert ever there on August 29, 1966, and the NFL’s 49ers have won so many Super Bowls since they moved there in 1971 that the sign in the parking lot said, "Home of the Super Bowl Champions," with almost no mention of the primary tenants.

Six World Series games have been played at Candlestick Park, but the most memorable October event there was the World Series game that wasn’t played. That was on October 17, 1989, when an earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter Scale preempted what was to have been Game 3 of the 1989 Bay Bridge World Series against the Oakland A’s. As houses crumbled, highways buckled and bridges collapsed, Candlestick Park stood strong - with 62,000 people packed inside it, none of whom were injured.

Equipment: None unless your a fanatic fan then bring your banners, props, (Baseball Bat?)!

Near My Place Yahoo! Aerial View football! very old!
    • Theme Park Trips

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Batten Down the Hatches

by DueSer Updated Jan 31, 2009

Candlestick Park is no longer the home to the Major League Baseball team the SF Giants. I was lucky enough to have visited in the last year the Giants played there and it was a real interesting experience. The traffic in SF is so bad that we missed the first part of the game so it definitely wasn't a typical MLB stadium visit for me but I'm glad I went. I'd heard complaints about the stadium for years but didn't fully understand what all the fuss was about until I experienced it myself. The stadium is in a bowl shape but unlike a lot of other bowl stadiums (like Busch Stadium I in St. Louis), Candlestick somehow managed to get a very strong wind that blew down through the seats and the field. The parking lot wasn't spared either. Just walking in from my car I thought I'd blow away. Mark Twain once wrote, "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco," so that gives you an idea of the temperature of this wind. Besides keeping the balls from rarely venturing to a home run distance, visitors had to be a hearty lot to sit there for 9 innings. I visited in th 1990s so my memory may be a little fuzzy but, here's my review.

1) Arrival & Departure
    Great. I give it a 5 (on a scale of 1-5, 5 being best). Part of this is my fault, I must admit. As previously mentioned, I arrived late and I stayed long after the game was over taking pictures of the stadium and more importantly, me in the stadium, so I didn't have any traffic problems at all. The traffic snarls that prevented me from seeing the entire game weren't the fault of the stadium. Candlestick is outside of the downtown area with a large parking lot surrounding it so the traffic isn't as bad as it would be if it was in the city center.

2) Food
    Not bad. I got a souvenir cup honoring the stadium in its final year so that was cool. As far as the hot dogs & other food specifically though, I don't really remember it so it couldn't have been very good or very bad. I give it a 3.

3) Comfort
    Well, I've already discussed the wind. Points off for that. Also, while the seats are comfortable and the space between the rows is good, the stands were fairly steep. I give it a 2 overall.

4) Enjoyment
    While I was enjoying the fact that I got to finally see Candlestick & do it before the Giants left (and go on my birthday), the stadium itself was rather blah. There weren't any corny between-innings-shows going on, there really wasn't much of anything going on to add to the enjoyment of the game. I give it a 3.

Overall, I give it a 3. I'm glad I was able to go but I'm also glad the Giants got a stadium they don't have to share with the football team.

• gint's Profile Photo

Candlestick Park, Niner Games

by gint Written Jul 18, 2008

Be forewarned that it takes a lot of time to get to and from the stadium, especially afterwards. You will make a quick trip down the freeway, eventhough the stadium is very near the freeway, once you get on to the streets, it slows down fast. and you will slowly crawl block to block, until you get there. Leaving is worse, takes forever to get out of the parking lot and again a slow crawl back to the freeway. The neighborhood north of the stadium, is crime ridden and bleak, you will be driving through it. Not sure what a cab will charge but it maybe a large charge because they will get stuck. On the way back its a least 45 minutes to go about 10 blocks to the freeway, then the extra 15-30 minutes to your hotel.
    There seems to be all sorts of buses parking there or dropping people off, you may want to check that out, to see if you can hook up with a public bus or get on a charter bus(more fun). SF MUNI, or Golden Gate Transit -- local public services. I am a Raider fan but have been to many games at Candlestick, my dads a Niner fan....If you want raider game Info, I know a lot more about that. the niner stadium is old and hasnt changed much since I was a kid...I remember those same old tile urinals, the broken concrete, the narrow walkways, partly working escalators, bad parking, the old 15inch tvs...that was 30 years ago, SF really need a new stadium.

Check out the Niner website, they may have links to transportation.

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Now's the time to see the 'Niners

by Karnubawax Updated Dec 17, 2007

The 'Niners are a big part of SF life, and a source of immense pride not only to the city itself, but to all of Norhern California. Watching games in bars is not such a big activity - as most games start at 1 PM at the latest (10 AM if they're playing on the east coast). The best way to see them is live of course, and the parking lot tailgaters are legendary - starting very early in the morning.

Virtually all the seats at the 'Stick are held by season ticket holders, and the few that are available are snapped up early in the season. In past years tickets were virtually impossible to get. However, most of these ticket holders offload the not-so-big game tickets on the internet. Craig's List is great for this. Another avenue is to ask at your local bar; bar owners often get season tickets and keep the good games and sell the others to their patrons. And then there are always the scalpers.

The 'Niners have won 5 Super Bowls over the years, but these days the team is but a shell of its former greatness. But our loss is your gain... tickets should be plentiful. Games against the hated Raiders or the universally despised Dallas Cowboys are always hard to get, but this once untouchable experience is now within your reach!

PS... don't beleve the hype about how awful Candlestick is. While it was a pretty bad place to watch baseball, its actually a great place to watch a football game!

PPS... Candlestick Park is located in one of the worst neighborhoods in the City. Stick to the main freeway exits and don't try to take shortcuts.

Not available at the ballpark

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Giants vs. Cardinals

by cjg1 Updated Nov 12, 2007

This game hosted two of the biggest cheaters ever to play the game. In the Giant's last year of playing here before moving to Pac Bell saw me seeing my first game in San Francisco. Only cheater number 2, Mark Mcguire, hit a home run that day. Cheater number 1, Barry Bonds, did not. Anyway. This is not and was not a good place to see a game. But everyone knows that and that is why and how the Giants finally got their new home.

Can’t believe at the time this was only my fifth stadium on the count down.

• Football at Candlestick

by RblWthACoz Written Dec 17, 2005

The 49ers are San Francisco's professional football team in the NFL. The NFL season starts in September and ends in January.

Candlestick Park is one of the historic and more well known stadiums in the United States. Built in the late 1950's, it was designed to withstand the harsh wind and cold of the Bay area. That plan failed though and Candlestick became widely known for it's wild winds and blistering cold.

Equipment: Cold weather clothes!

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Billed as "The Battle of the Weak"

by BLewJay Updated Dec 16, 2004

In years past, this would have been a marquee game; the Miami Dolphins vs. the San Francisco 49'ers. How times have changed...both teams are doing poorly this year due to a number of reasons...but hey, it's my beloved Fins so I have to see them no matter what. Well we made a good choice, because not only were the seats great, but the Fins won the game.

Equipment: If you are going to attend games here, then you should bring a light jacket, sunglasses and a hat to block the sun.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Goldrush Madness

by Agraichen Written Sep 16, 2004

The SF 49ers, if nothing else, have a steadfast following of loyal fans. Tickets to the games are like gold itself. Season tickets are even rarer as it will be years before your name comes up on the list now.

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Niners

by acemj Updated Jul 4, 2004

While the National Football League's San Francisco 49ers have fallen off a bit (okay, they suck right now!), that doesn't take away the fact that they were the most dominant team in football throughout the '80s and '90s. They have won a total of five Super Bowl titles and play at 3Com Park.

web shot

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo

The Forty Niners

by topoftheworl Updated Mar 9, 2004

The 49ers are the only team, ever, to win FIVE Superbowls. We won once, then we repeated. Then we threepeated and then four-and-fivepeated. If you are here in football season, get to Candlestick Park. There are shuttle buses from downtown SF. Do NOT miss the Forty Clove Garlck Chicken. As is appropriate sor SF, Sushi and Chardonay are also available.

Equipment: Candlestick is windy. bring a windcheater.

Go, Niners !

• lynmur's Profile Photo

49ers Game

by lynmur Written May 7, 2005

This was our first American Football game and we both loved it

Equipment: You can buy stuff anywhere with the 49ers on it. We were there in November and it was quite chilly - so wrap up a bit

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels