Sausalito, San Francisco

by azz8206
  • Graxie's Profile Photo

by Graxie Updated Dec 26, 2005

%s4 Sausalito-Expansive views %s*

Sausalito, is a delighted place. Always I dreamed to know, and the day arrived so desired. Traveling through its streets, I enjoyed and I remained really amazed of the beauty of the place. The commerce of antiques, the restaurants, the beautiful houses built on the hills, really would not know to say that is what more i liked of Sausalito. Every Sausalito is beautiful, is the place that would elect to live the remainder of my life

• Architecture

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Whale Watching !

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 16, 2005

View of Rodeo Beach & Ft. Cronkhite

On the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge is its namesake National Recreational Area. This is a very interesting landscape of mostly treeless hills overlooking the waves of the Pacific Ocean. The area was formerly a WW2 military base used as part of the coastal defense system for San Francisco Harbour. As a result, there are a number of old military buildings down by Rodeo Beach and a network of paved roads and trails weaving through the hills to some of the gun emplacement locations. Due to the unstable nature of the soil in this area, most of the hillside road system is blocked to traffic - leaving it as a very convenient walking route! While we were elevated on the trail, I decided to concentrate on the inshore ocean to see if there were any whales about (since I had seen them in a similar situation while in Nova Scotia, Canada). Sure enough, after a few minutes of eye-balling for disturbances on the water surface, I spotted a spout as a whale surfaced for air (I was glad that I had my bird-watching binoculars with me for a close-up look!). It was not long before we were able to observe the pod making its way slowly north along the shore, coming up for air every few minutes, not far from the surfing activity on Rodeo Beach! It was an unexpected bonus on our hike!

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Updated Aug 15, 2005

Cute side alley shopping

We decided to skip the fog and cool temperatures and take the ferry to Sausalito one day. It's amazing how San Francisco is cloaked in fog and the mist falls away as you cross the water near Alcatraz, and head towards Marin County.

If you want to see the Ferry Building as well, just combine it with a trip to Sausalito, as you can catch the Golden Gate Ferry from the Ferry Building. We visited the farmer's market in the morning, had lunch at the Ferry Building, and caught the afternoon ferry to Sausalito.

The main reason to go to Sausalito is to get some sun, and look at art galleries and unique crafts. I would probably categorize it as a girl's side trip, though my husband did find enough to not get bored. I found the shopping was okay though pretty touristy, with some albeit unique shops and galleries thrown in.

One of Sausalito's saving graces is some very nice views if you walk along the waterfront. If you don't find time to go to Sausalito, you are not missing out on a life-changing experience.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Take the Ferry to Sausalito

by Sunshine64 Written Jul 21, 2005

San Francisco from Sausalito

A fun way to get a good view of the city is to take the Ferry to Sausalito. You'll pass by Alcatraz on the way, and get nice views of the Bay and Golden Gate bridges. The day I did this a blimp was flying overhead, which made it even more interesting.

Sausalito is a quaint town where you can have lunch, look back at SF, and do a little shopping. There are probably more activities on Sausalito, but this was all we had time for on our brief visit.

• HELEN's Profile Photo

Catch a Ferry

by HELEN Written Jun 1, 2005

Catch a ferry to Sauselito and enjoy the day. It's a cute place with lots of shops and restaurants. Ferries come about every hour, and it takes about 30 minutes point to point. It's $12 for a round trip ferry ride from the Ferry Plaza.

• binkieloo's Profile Photo

Trendy shopping and wonderful views

by binkieloo Written May 10, 2005

San Francisco from Sausalito

We did Sausalito as part of a morning tour and had about and hour and half in the town. It was nice to wander around the boutique shops and art galleries.

There are some good local places to get a drink or snack.

It's a high budget area but is great for window shopping. And the views of San Francisco across the Bay are wonderful on a clear day.

• Luxury Travel

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

by iam1wthee Written Nov 10, 2004

Is a nice little town to go to and visit for the day. Do not do a tour, go there on your own. You can take the bus. Near by is the Exploratorium, you'll notice the Taj Mahal in the marina, and unique shops to browse in not to buy.

• mikeukw's Profile Photo

A Day in Sausalito - Highly Recommended

by mikeukw Updated Nov 7, 2004

I would highly recommend a day trip to Sausalito. We visited Sausalito as part of a half day tour along with Muir Woods, through Grayline Tours. We really enjoyed Sausalito but felt that we could have spent the whole day there.

We later found out that you could go on the tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito and then catch a ferry back to San Francisco - giving us more time to spend there. The ferry is an extra $5.00 each one way. Or you could just catch a ferry there and back if you don't fancy Muir Woods.

Threre are lots of lovely shops to visit and plenty of places to eat, some of which have great views across the bay.

If you do book the trip through Grayline Tours (situated at Fisherman's Wharf) there is a hotel pick up and drop off service available on request.

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Sausalito main street

by XKuger Written Jul 19, 2004

The Marine county and Sasulito is a very pretty waterfront are in San Francisco. It has some very Chic shopping boutiques, cafe's and restaurants.

I enjoyed the stroll along the waterfront and spend few hours hanging around the cafe's people watching.

The View of the bay from here are awsome but most time that I was there it was foggy.

• skib's Profile Photo

Park Overlooking the Pacific

by skib Written May 25, 2004

Might be Pacific Heights, oops, but this park was out of this world. We drove over the GG bridge and it was really foggy that day. We drove up a liff and through the clouds. The narrow road was pretty close to the cliff and everything we saw was beautiful. I am afraid of heights, so had to stay a little back and skip some of the hiking, but I did push myself because everything was so beautiful. You get on this road right before getting back on the bridge to go to San Francisco. The road takes you by an old army base, old army forts, and beautiful sights. I wish we knoew what it was called but it is my must see activity by far, and I'm not really an outdoorsy girl!

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• jkfisme's Profile Photo

A Quaint Little Town By The Bay...

by jkfisme Updated Apr 22, 2004

Just over the Golden Gate Bridge, first exit on the right, lies the town of Sausalito. It's a gorgeous town with spectacular views of San Francisco. To me, Sausalito radiated the modern-sleekishness of the big city speckled with the charm of a small town. A must see!

• Gay and Lesbian

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

Sausalito- across the bridge and a world away

by jglsongs Written Apr 17, 2004

Sausalito, CA

Sausalito is a beautiful town on the small peninsula across the city from the Golden Gate bridge. It would seem that it's built for tourists, but it's really a residential community (like Tiburon on the next peninsula to the east) with a marina and whatever else a normal town on a bay would have.

Some of the restaurants along Bridgeway (the main street on the water) are definitely tourist traps, and not good at all (Cat and Fiddle is an example of a bad restaurant with a great view).

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Take a ferry boat to Marin County

by karenincalifornia Updated Feb 11, 2004

Port of San Francisco

At the San Francisco Ferry Terminal at Pier 1, you can catch the ferry to Marin County. You may even bring a bicycle on the boat.

The ferry is relaxing and scenic. You can get a beer, glass of wine or snacks at the snack bar.

I take this ferry to and from work almost every work day. If you'd like to commute into work with me, click on this link:

Is Commuting All That Bad?

• Beaches

• Tami_G's Profile Photo

A little paradise in SF bay area.

by Tami_G Updated Jul 5, 2003

Sausalito from the ferry

I went on a ferry trip to Sausalito because I thought the name was beautiful! Sausalito is a very small town with really nice houses, lots of art galleries and shops. I loved it. It hasn't got much to do or see but just being there makes you want to stay there forever.
    It's always sunny in Sausalito.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Cycling

• Portugalady's Profile Photo

Great Sausalito just a Golden Bridge away

by Portugalady Written Jun 15, 2003

I never thought that it made so bad weather in San Francisco, but all said about this... I was frozen until the bones..and after taking a walk over the Golden Bridge.. I felt the warm sun at that lovely place called Sausalito..
    Don't miss that because it is the unik chance that will have to defrost the bones and to feel in a paradisiac place at side sea.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

Hotels Near Sausalito
4.5 out of 5 stars