Wine Country, San Francisco

• geeyook's Profile Photo

Beringer Vineyards

by geeyook Written May 22, 2004

Wine Barrels

The grounds and winery are open for wine tasting tours. This winery was established in 1868 and is the oldest operating winery in Napa Valley. The old wine cellar caves were hand dug by Chinese laborers in the 1800's. There is a fee for the tour and winetasting.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Day trip to Napa Valley

by SLLiew Written Oct 11, 2006

Grape vines

Heading northeast of San Francisco will get you to Napa Valley - of grape vines and free wine tasting. There are many wineries to choose from.

The larger ones will have a tour explaining the growing of different grape varieties, the harvesting and the making of alcohols and the brewing process in the back room. The proper storage of wines.

If you do not know your personal preference, you can try out the white vs the red, drv vs sweet. You will get an education on how to drink hold the wine glass and proper way to drink your wine, step by step - color, smell are as important as taste and ethanol content.

Remember not to drive back unless your alcohol level in your blood is well below legal limits.

• geeyook's Profile Photo

Chateau Montelena Wine Tasting and Chinese Gardens

by geeyook Updated Oct 25, 2005

Chinese Garden at Chateau Montelena

Featuring a stone castle winery fronting a lake and Chinese gardens. Home to one of Napa Valley's finest wineries. Wine tasting and tour available for a fee. Reservations are required. Stroll the grounds around Jade Lake and the Chinese Garden.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

how much wine can you drink?

by mindcrime Written Jan 20, 2010

wine barrels at Madonna Estate

One great day trip near San Francisco is to visit the Sonoma or Napa valleys. Both of them have an amazing number of wineries, you can find small book guides that will guide you through the most of them if you want to travel by car and try several different ones. The problem is that if you drink that much I don’t know how you will drive back to SF! :)

We preferred an organized tour instead, from the hotel they suggested to go with Tower Tours, they have their offices near Ghiraldelli square but you can book your tour from your hotel. A bus picked up us early in the morning from our hotel and we drove over Bay bridge to Sonoma Valley. The driver was like a funny guy, very talkative that was giving us information along the way about everything we saw around. We stopped at three different wineries, and one big stop at Sonoma town for lunch. We returned back to the city at about 18.00, with a stupid smile on our faces (you can imagine why…)

The first stop was at Madonna Estate. Although the owners were very helpful and informative (they answered every question we had) I cant say we enjoyed their wine that much, at least the one they have for free but I couldn’t pay $60 for 2007 Reserve Pinot Noir Du Ragazze for exable, much more of my budget just to check :) We just bought a wine bottle opener as a souvenir (it is helpful anyway)

Second Stop was at Sutter Home Winery. The wine was better here but they didn’t showed us any barrel or any other part of the wine producing. The gift shop was perfect though, you could easily try some more of the wines and buy wine bottles of course (prices from $4 to $20). What’s more they also have some great food samples with olive oil, vinegar etc so I can say I enjoyed the drinking much more :)
    Address:277 South St. Helena Hwy, St.Helena, CA 94574 www.sutterhome.com

After the small break at Sonoma Town, where we had our lunch (not included, we had 90’ to wonder around on our own) and tasted some nice cheese samples at Cheese Factory we headed to our third winery stop.

Cline Cellars was even better than the previous ones. I had already tasted many wines so I didn’t care that much but the wine was great (although they say after some glasses every wine is great, lol!). But the great thing here was the California Missions Museum! Yes, it is located here, it’s for free and it has on display exact replica models of the 21 historical California Missions!!

• madamx's Profile Photo

Sonoma Valley

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

We decided to splurge (being carefree honeymooners) and book a limo with driver and spend a day in Sonoma Valley. It is not cheap; it was $800 Canadian, as we could not help but notice on our Visa bill on our return home. This included a personalized 8-hour tour, with lunch . It does seem easy to get around there if you have a car, as there are many maps and info available at the Visitor Information Centre in downtown San Francisco.

Sonoma Valley is located 1 1/2 hours outside of San Francisco, and we chose to go there because it is less commercial, plus there are more free and less expensive tastings (always a plus!). Many of the wineries have deli sections where you can buy something to compliment the wine you just purchased. It is recommended that you have a car, but there is bus service available, if you plan well. (Sonoma County Transit 800-345-7433). We used Beau Limousine Tours (1-800-387-2328), but certainly there are many other operators out there.

Sonoma Valley tends to be very relaxed, predominated by family-owned wineries. It is a 17-mile long valley, with the town of Sonoma at the end.

Wineries we visited were:

Buena Vista ~ (707-938-1266) A historic vineyard that helped launch the California Wine Industry. (www.buenavistawinery.com)

Cline Cellars ~ (707-938-5277) Best known for it's Zinfandel, and still in the Cline family, it has a calm, intimate setting. The main building is a charming house which was the original residence. There is a lovely garden beside it with a fountain, and many weddings are hosted here.(www.clinecellars.com)

Viansa Winery ~ (707-935-4700) Started by members of the Sabastiani family, it also has a large marketplace where it sells condiments and other foods, and it has an extensive deli. We had lunch here, and the food is delicious; my husband highly recommends the chocolate cookies. There is also a protected wetland on the winery grounds. (www.viansa.com)

• madamx's Profile Photo

Sonoma Valley Con'td

by madamx Updated Aug 23, 2006

Benziger Family Winery ~ (705-935-4046) This was my favorite winery. I think what appealed to me was that the staff were very down-to-earth, and that they had a very informative tour; you actually get to know their philosophy and growing techniques. Not something you ordinarily think about when you knock back a glass of red.

Guests ride in carts pulled by a tractor, as the tour takes you all over the vineyard.The tour makes the requisite ending at a gift shop, which for once I dind't mind, as our tour guide (a Benziger family member) was so warm, friendly, and open. I was also impressed with the stewardship of their land; they have an insectorium where amphibians, insects and lizards are allowed to thrive.

We were also encouraged to wander around the vineyard, and I tasted my first wine grapes (or berries); I was shocked to taste how sweet and unlike table grapes they were. . At the time we were there, they had started producing their own olive oil as well. (www.benziger.com)

Domaine Carneros ~ (707-257-0101) This winery was probably the most beautiful, and makes sparkling wines (i.e. champagnes). Owned by Taittinger, the main building was modelled after a French Chateau. Their presentation is the most slick; they have a small theatre where they show a movie. Then, the curtains are pulled back, and *ta-da!* you can see through a viewing window the tanks where the wine is initially fermented, with poor joe schmoe walking by trying to get the job done. However, I found their tour very informative. We did pass on the free corks and cages being handed out. Tastings here are probably the most expensive, about $5 US. (www. domaine.com)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

SONOMA town

by mindcrime Updated Jan 21, 2010

Sonoma's main square

We weren’t plan to visit Sonoma town but we stopped here during our organized wine tour at Sonoma Valley. We had about two hours here and most of the people just walk around for a while and then go for lunch in one of the restaurants. Hopefully, there are many choices, all of them are located around the central square. We walked a bit at the square (pic 1), it was nice and relaxing, very green with many picnic tables so you can even have your lunch here if you want. We checked the buildings around, the Town Hall (pic 2) was the only one that seemed interesting till we saw an old church and realized that one of the old Missions of California was here. We didn’t go inside though because our bus driver told me earlier that we would visit a great free museum about Missiones later. There I learned that Sonoma Mission was the last one.

Then we visited the Cheese Factory where we tasted some nice cheese samples. We preferred to buy some chocolate candys instead of cheese and then we ate hamburgers at the backyard where they had meat on grill. We drunk our coffee at Baker+Café (pic 3) a nice small bakery that also have some nice sandwiches with calamata olives! The decoration was weird with spiders all over the place, probably because of the forthcoming Halloween.

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Visit Sonoma Valley

by pmarshuk Updated Jan 5, 2004

A great day trip out from San Francisco, best done in your own car but with a designated driver as you may end up having a few too many tastings to be legal for the drive back.
    I must admit I preferred to visit Sonoma Valley rather than Napa when visiting wine country. It seemed more intimate and had much better scenery. However the wines from both areas were well tried and tested.

One of my favourite vineyards is Benzinger, the setting against the old Sonoma Mountain is great and the wine is pretty good too.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Wine Tasting in Nappa Valley. ...

by seamandrew Written Feb 25, 2003

Nappa Valley

Wine Tasting in Nappa Valley was my first experience of the sort. Be sure to rent a car and leave early! Try the St. Supéry vineyard. The Moscato is delicious! It's a sweet white dessert wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker but I love this particular wine.

What was great about Nappa Valley (and the Bay area as a whole) was that is probably the only place in the US where you can see mountains, ocean, skyscrapers, AND vinyards so close to each other.

• Hiking and Walking

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Visit Napa Valley

by easterntrekker Updated Nov 29, 2007

We booked 3 nights to stay in Napa on our way back from China. We really enjoyed it . The other option was to take a tour from San Francisco but we thought we'd enjoy renting a car and exploring it our own way . The disadvantage of renting a car and driving is , one of you can't actually drink the wines~~~~ Maybe the Tour would have been a good option . The wines are amazing and there are many to choose from with many of the wineries offering 6 or 7 free varieties to taste!

The region is beautiful and just taking drives through the wine country is so lovely.
    The town of Napa is smaller than I imagined but there are few nice restuarants to enjoy dinner and of course wine.

• Seniors

• Nappa Valley

by kristink Written Aug 24, 2002

If you love wine, this takes up a very enjoyable day. My husband and I left at about 9am and spent our entire morning and afternoon dirving from winery to winery tasting and touring. The winery with the nicest staff - Cakebread.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

NASCAR Races at Sears Point-Infineon Raceway

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 7, 2007

Pre-race flyby

Infineon Raceway at Sears Point hosts one NASCAR Nextel Cup (Sprint Cup) race each year in late June. This is considered one of NASCAR's top venues due to its location on the West Coast.

The 1.99 mile road course has 12 turns and seats over 100,000 fans. Tickets range from about $65 to $150, with the highest priced seats near the start-finish line. Unlike most oval tracks, your view at Infineon is limited by the contour of the land and the placement of some of the grandstands and bleachers.

Parking is free, and traffic was pretty light heading into the race, but even 3 or 4 hours after the race in 2007, traffic was backed up, especially on Rt 37 heading east.

• mikeukw's Profile Photo

Fantastic Day at the Wine Country

by mikeukw Updated Nov 6, 2004

View from Viansa Winery

The day we spent in the Wine Country was the best day of our holiday. The weather was perfect and scenery was stunning.

The tour costs around $106 per couple (with Grayline) and includes tastings at 4 wineries in Sonoma and Napa Valleys. Our driver was really knowledgeable and very friendly.

You should allow a full day - we were dropped back at our hotel at around 19.00.

• starteam144's Profile Photo

Visit Jovance Beauty and Wellness Day Spa

by starteam144 Written Oct 19, 2007

Its Beautiful, the people are great and I love that they do everything: waxing, eye lash extensions, hair extensions, wigs, facials, massages, hair cut, color, make up and the products are by Aveda and all natural.

I feel younger and look so much better by visiting Jovance.

I got some customer comments from their manager for you:

“Everytime I come in everyone is very polite and professional. I always feel pampered when I come to Jovance.”

“Sherry is doing a great job!!”

“Carmen did an excellent job in shampooing my hair, she really took pride n her work. As usual Ms. Sherry did an excellent job with my hair.”

“Everything is Good” Excellent Service.”

“Sherry did an excellent job; nice conversation and skills. Sarah was great shampooing and conditioning my hair - thanks.”

“Everyone was so friendly and sweet. Very attentive. Thanks.”

“You are doing everything right! Thank you.”

“I would travel to Tem Buck Too for services with Toni. She is a true asset to Jovance.”

If you are traveling and want a great Day Spa and Salon please check out www.Jovance.com

• Spa and Resort
    • Women's Travel

• bjwong's Profile Photo

Napa Valley

by bjwong Written Dec 3, 2006

We went on a day tour of Napa Valley with GPT Tours. They brought us to three wineries (actually two and the Dom Perignon champagne house) where we sampled the local wine and tasted some yummy appetizers. The Dom Perignon house actually included a tour of the facility as well as a complimentary tasting. Back in 2002, the full day tour cost about $75 a person including pick up from your hotel and lunch.

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels