By Air, San Francisco

Know about this? Rate It!

Sunrise at SFO
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Late Arrival at SFO Can Mean Being Stranded

by atufft Written Jan 9, 2014

Trying to Sleep at the Airport Lobby

SFO is a major domestic and international airport, but it does slow down considerably after 12 midnight. Late or delayed flights will arrive to a relatively quiet airport baggage claim and lobby. While most hotels and taxi service will continue through the night, the last BART train departs at 12 midnight. My wife and I were on a flight from Atlanta that was delayed almost two hours, so that by the time we arrived at SFO, BART was closed. So, I tried calling a number of airport hotels hoping to get into a room for the night. I knew that a room would be expensive, but my wife was tired, and so was I. As it turned out I couldn't find a vacancy. We didn't want to shell out the huge sum for a taxi to the East Bay BART station where our car was parked, so we stayed the night at the airport. The floor wasn't comfortable and the remaining noise and lights of the airport lobby made sleep all but impossible.

• Casino and Gambling

• leics's Profile Photo

SFO and Terminal 2

by leics Written Aug 14, 2013
    Airport and fog.....

I found San Francisco airport to be very pleasant, as airports go, and most especially the super-shiny, new-ish Terminal 2 from which I flew to LA. The SF fog fascinated me,. so I appreciated the opportunity to watch it! :-)

I arrived in T3 from NYC and found the process fairly painless, although it took me a while to a) find my bag and b) find where my shuttle left from.

On my flight out (with Virgin America, which I found to be an excellent airline) I really enjoyed T2. I thought the 'Yoga room' at T2 was...well..quite an amazing idea, And possibly one which would/could only found in SF? :-) There's a nice set of museum displays in T2 as well, with wonderful scrimshaw (tusk-ivory carvings) and knotwork.

There are adequate eating places in T2, although they did get rather crowded at times.

I particularly valued the fact that the airport is so very easy to access via public transport (BART) from downtown SF. I'd booked a shuttle service for my evening arrival, not wishing (as a solo middle-aged female) to wander an unknown US city in the twilight, but happily took the BART on my return. If I'd arrived in the daytime proper I'd have taken the BART with no worries whatsoever.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

SFO International Airport

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

San Francisco International Airport is one of my favorite airports in the US. The airport is clean and quite easy to navigate. There are quite a few good places to grab something to eat as well as a few shops for clothing, electronics or assorted gifts.

American Airlines terminal underwent a huge renovation recently and can now be found at terminal 2. Although the security lines were fastest in any city, the introduction of the new scanning machines have caused the lines to be exceeding long.

As an international airport, it serves many cities in the Pacific, like Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, and many other cities in Asia.

From SFO you if you are going into San Francisco, transportation is quite easy. The Airtrain will take you to the BART where you can enjoy a quite 30 minute ride to downtown SF. If you are going to San Jose, you can hope on the CALTRAIN.

For more information about the airport, check out their website.

One of the great things about SFO is that it is easily accessible by public transportation (maninly the B.A.R.T.) to the peninsula and the south bay areas.

San Francisco International Airport Domestic Gates

by machomikemd Written Sep 30, 2011
    Terminal 2

This is the domestic terminal part of the San Francisco International Airport Tips since I need more space for the pictures. My favorite area of the Domestic Terminal are Concourse C of Terminal 2 which is the gates for Delta Airlines and the Concourse F at Terminal 3 which are the gates of United Airlines. Two of my favorite airlines.

Again San Francisco International Airport is located approximately 13 miles south of San Francisco, near the junction of Highways US 101 and 380 at the City of San Bruno. The airport is composed of four terminals (1, 2, 3, and International) and seven concourses (A through G) arranged in a ring. Terminal 1 (Boarding Areas B and C), Terminal 3 (Boarding Areas E and F), and the International Terminal (Boarding Area A) handle domestic flights. The International Terminal (Boarding Areas A and G) handle international flights.

Delta Airlines

by machomikemd Written Jul 2, 2011
    at SFO Airport

Ever since Delta Airlines merged with Delta Airlines and created the world's 2nd Largest Airline in 2009 (the largest is the Continental-United Airlines Merger), Delta became my new favorite as it has absorbed my Northwest World Perks card into the Delta Sky Miles and they now have no expiry air miles. I now use mostly delta airlines on travels around domestic and interational routes. Delta and its subsidiaries operate over 4,000 flights every day. The airline's main hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is the world's largest (overtaking O hare Airport in Chicago), and since 1999 the world's busiest airport by passenger traffic (88 million passengers per year) and number of landings and take-offs largely due to Delta's presence.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo

Fly Jet Blue

by pigletsmom Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gettng ready for takeoff

Jet Blue was great. Effecient, clean, friendly, and cheap.
    Absolutely nothing to complain about. Will definatley fly them again. It was about $100 RT from Long Beach to Oakland, and getting from Oakland to SF was very inexpensive and easy. Check out their lamenated Pilates cards that are in the seat pocket along with the inflight magazine. Very progressive with witty commentary copy.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

American Airlines to San Francisco

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 9, 2011

That

My airline of choice is always American Airlines. I travel to San Francisco at least 5 times a year (more if I am doing an MR), and American Airlines offers me a variety of flight times to suite me. I enjoy flying on the 757 with their three class cabin which allows me to use my evips especially during red-eyes.

American Airlines offers on some of it's flights to SF, GOGO, an inflight internet service which is quite handy if you need to catch up on some work or just want to stay connected. The flight from NYC to San Franciso varies and can be anywhere from 5.5 hours to 6.5 hours depending on the winds.

My flights to San Francisco are always quite pleasant and gives me the opportunity to catch up on some personal stuff as well as work related stuff without being interrupted.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

AA to SFO

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2011

Off to SFO we go

American Airlines is our airline of choice when travelling to San Francisco. We often find ourselves in SF to visit family or when we find a good MR fare. Our most recent trips to SFO were in January and February 2011 for some Mileage Runs.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

SFO

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2011

Ever since they connected SFO to the BART I have only used SFO to visit the city. Only a short ride now to the city this airport's traffic has increased since being connected. A great move. It is located south of the city on the penninsula.

SFO is a nice airport with good food and shopping options. My wife and I have enjoyed some really good food in their food court area located by the United terminal. There is also a great bookstore with a nice Travel section.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

flights and airports

by mindcrime Written Jan 20, 2010

British Airways plane

The San Francisco International airport (SFO) is located 20km south of San Francisco, near the junction of 101 and 380 highways. It serves many flights per day, domestic and international (from every corner on earth) and it is famous of several delays especially because of the weather (the fog sometimes doesn’t allow any flight above the city).

The airport is big enough and has 4 terminals connected to each other with CalTrain. I get bored anyway in every airport but I have to admit that it’s a modern building with some nice corners (paintings on walls etc). Of course, there are many restaurants and shops to spend some time while you wait for your flight. I noticed several wifi spots but they are not for free. Many signs will guide you to what you are looking for (check in, gates, exit, luggages, train to the city etc). Their official site has many useful information about the airport, maps, arrivals/departures etc

We used British Airways, but when you have to fly for 4 hours from Athens to London and then 11 more hours to SF you get sick of the flight. Of course, if we could fly first class it would be different but in these packed seats (31in seat pitch is a joke) we just wanted the trip to end soon. British provided us with lunch and dinner along the way and I watched some movies on the front seat screen but after 4-5 hours all the passengers were just walking around the aisles of the plane.

The customs in San Francisco took some time but not that much as in New York.

Alternative airport is the Oakland Airport, across the San Francisco bay, check it too because some low far companies use this one for flights to San Francisco and has some great offers, especially for domestic flights.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Northwest Airlines (Now Delta)

by machomikemd Updated Nov 17, 2009

zoom

Northwest primarily operates a hub and spoke route system with hubs in Amsterdam, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Tokyo. Northwest is the world's sixth largest airline in terms of domestic and international scheduled passenger miles flown and the U.S.'s sixth largest airline in terms of domestic passenger miles flown. In addition to operating one of the largest domestic route networks in the U.S., Northwest carries more passengers across the Pacific Ocean than any other U.S. carrier hence it is a favorite of asians like me for transpacific flights and the easy accruage of air mileage in its Worldperks program but since october 1, 2009 it has merged with delta air and now my worldperks is now a delta skymiles.

• Luxury Travel

United Airlines

by machomikemd Written Nov 17, 2009

the plane

United Airlines is one of the major players in the North American Ailine Industry in is a Major Rival of Northwest-Delta and American Airlines, all are legacy airlines and faces stiff competition from no frills budget airlines like southwest but heck im not averse to flying different airlines and this time i've book a flight via United Airline on an Airbus A 320 plane. United offers connections to over 1,000 destinations in over 170 countries worldwide. United's largest hub is O'Hare International Airport, where it has more than 550 daily departures. United also has hubs in Denver International Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, and Los Angeles International Airport. United's route network spans the globe with route authorities in North America, Europe, Asia, Austraila, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean.

• World Cheap And Last Minutes Flights Information

by rogersronald Written Mar 26, 2009

Flights.worldmapsinfo.com is one of the best established air travel website that helps to plan your world trips and guides you everywhere while traveling. It offers cheap air tickets booking in such a convenient manner without any hassle. You can book your air tickets for cheap flights worldwide, even if you are searching for last minutes flights this site is the best place to get air tickets at very discounted rates.

So, whenever you are planning for a trip and looking for cheap flights or last minutes flights anywhere in the world just go through this site flights.worldmapsinfo.com

• malianrob's Profile Photo

San Francisco Airport

by malianrob Updated Sep 28, 2008

SFO is a huge International Airport. Usually we can get some great deals from LAX to SFO. I dont mind doing the drive but there are times that I would rather fly. A good deal from LA would be about $45 each way.
    At the airport you can rent a car like what we do or you can take the subway system they have there called BART. I have taken the BART before, its safe, clean, inexpensive and fairly easy to use.
    When we go to San Francisco we sometimes stay with a friend, sometimes at our timeshare or sometimes at a hotel. We usually take the BART from SFO and go into Oakland. We often go to the Raiders games and the BART drops us off right at the Stadium.

San Francisco International Airport 2

by machomikemd Updated Aug 29, 2008

Departure Area

this is part two of my San Francisco International Airport Tips since I need more space for the pictures.

Again San Francisco International Airport is located approximately 13 miles south of San Francisco, near the junction of Highways US 101 and 380. The airport is composed of four terminals (1, 2, 3, and International) and seven concourses (A through G) arranged in a ring. Terminal 1 (Boarding Areas B and C), Terminal 3 (Boarding Areas E and F), and the International Terminal (Boarding Area A) handle domestic flights. The International Terminal (Boarding Areas A and G) handle international flights.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: San Francisco

Comments

View all San Francisco hotels