Areas to Avoid, San Francisco

Know about this?

car broken into
    by FriendlyWarnings
  • View from the Parc 55 hotel (facing Market)
    View from the Parc 55 hotel (facing...
    by srotbfm
    Mapquest. Map of Tenderloin
    by sunshine9689
  • Avoid These Areas

by jonnyander276 Written Jan 31, 2014

Tenderloin,Tenderloin,Golden Gate Park,The Mission District,Dolores Park are those areas which you should avoid ..because these areas are so quite and dangerous .Already many miss happenings are done on these places.

• MattJamonit's Profile Photo

You got nothing to worry about

by MattJamonit Written Oct 7, 2013

I haves lived on the peninsula most of my life, and moved to San Francisco in my adult life and I can honestly say that 90% of the neighborhoods are good. Even the neighborhoods that were deemed unsavory 10-15 years ago have gentrified and residents have made these neighborhoods hip and more $$$ to live. Yes, tenderloin has its characters and addicts, and I wouldn't recommend tourist walking at night in some parts from market between van ness to 5th street. And west of post st. Western edition is in the lower bracket of neighborhoods but there really isn't anything there anyway. That goes true with hunters point too, there is no reason to go there. The bayview has a lot of new business and condos, and it used to be Terrible but I live near that area and its changed dramatically. If you want to see bad neighborhoods, go across the bridge to Oakland, that's a war zone there and I would bypass it by all means.

• San Francisco is mostly safe

by kiton Written Mar 30, 2013

Ive lived in San Francisco for 5 years now and it is mostly safe. Tenderlon is definitely dangerous ( a friend got punch there) if you don't feel safe in a muni, you can sit closer to the driver, ( I've sit way at the back when the muni wasn't crowded and almost got attack by a drunk man) so really look out at the situations and sitting at the front is way better.

Richmond, sunset, outer Richmond is definitely safe.
    height and fillmore is a bit shady.
    Japan town is safe.
    downtown is safe during the day, at night there'll be a lot of homeless, although most of the time, they don't really bother you.
    chinatown is safe during the day, there's a lot of tourist here. beware of pickpockets especially during events, where the street is really crowded.
    financial district is safe until 8-9 pm
    some areas of market street is quite unsafe, such as between market and 6th street.

my advise is to always stay alert, and that san francisco is pretty much safe. Even areas like tenderloin is actually safe during the day. ( the food around this area is really good, though they close pretty early)
    The main thing about san francisco is every two blocks, the atmosphere changes, so the safe and unsafe areas are pretty hard to tell.

Also the atmosphere during the day and night are very different ( such as downtown area, Fillmore, and Market street) So it is better not to walk alone at night, especially when you aren't familiar with the area)

Overall, I have been living in areas that are known for not being too safe (Downtown, Fillmore, O'farrel, ) and I would say that it is actually very very safe.

my advise is to always stay alert

• car parking

by larrysteven Written Mar 6, 2013

Do not take your car to the city unless you want it broken into or you want a parking ticket. Had my car in a parking garage with security and cameras and it was broken into, I honestly think it was the security team. It is a beautiful city but full of derelicts and thieves. LEAVE YOUR CAR HOME!

• Business Travel

• Cellphones are useless

by unlucky_ Written Dec 14, 2012

Be caefulllll ! No one told me that San Fran was like the cell phone mugging capital of the world. I missed a bus and had my cell phone out to make a call and BAM. The guy took it from my hand.
    Like I said, was about to make a call.

The cops told me to not use my cell phone while I was on Market Street. After the robbery, I looked up that Market Street is like the black market wal mart of the city and that I should be lucky that I did not get punched in the face for my phone or maced in the eyes. Now I don't use the cell phone on the street. The cops said that it for your own safety. I am telling you now because no one told me.

Don't use your phone on Market Street. They will take it straight from your hand, sell it a couple of blocks away and your vacation will suck. And the locals will just look at you like you should have known better.

• How safe is the upper Alamo area?

by tatergirl Written May 3, 2012

I am looking for a vacation rental in SF for me (single woman) and my 3 adult children, 2 of their spouses, and an infant. One that I'm looking at is near Alamo Park (Fell St between Scott & Pierce). I'm not familiar with that area and wondering how safe it is? Is it close enough to the Western Addition or the TL to be a little dicey? I would like to be in an area where we feel safe walking to & from MUNI stops or restaurants, etc.

As a reference, I have stayed in the Haight Ashbury area where I felt safe walking from there to UCSF and in Golden Gate Park during the day (for the most part) but didn't feel very safe walking the 3 blocks or so from the MUNI stop to the B&B after dark, although I did that several times & the questionable-looking people loitering in doorways didn't do anything theatening. I have stayed in Fisherman's Wharf several times and felt about the same as Haight Ashbury except maybe slightly safer at night just because there were more people around, businesses open, etc. I have also stayed on Post & Steiner (near UCSF's Mt Zion facility) and that is where I felt the least safe...just a bit too close to the TL I think.

• don't freak out!

by rtkehl Written Feb 22, 2012

I've lived in the city for two years now, and it really is not that bad at all.
    The three districts bordering the ocean( Richmond, Sunset and the Presidio ) are all very safe. on the east side of the city, you have to watch out. I suggest not going to downtown after dark, It can get very weird and sketchy. same with Chinatown and the mission. The worst though, by far, is bayview. do not even consider going there. The neighborhoods you must visit though is nob hill, Russian hill, marina, and pacific heights. these neighborhoods are all very safe, and AMAZING. all the houses easily sell for above a million, and there's a reason why. The views are breathtaking, and the houses are beautiful. My personal favorite neighborhood is pacific heights/ lower pacific heights, and the inner sunset( specifically 9th ave. and Irving area) however, In terms of restaurants, what I would recommend is visiting areas with restaurants a tourist wouldn't normally visit. there are a lot of restaurants that look dumpy, but give them a chance. most of them have AMAZING food. the sunset and Richmond( the two most westward districts, and known as "the avenues") have very awesome Chinese food , same with Chinatown, but Chinatown is crowded. The mission is the king of Mexican food.

and you should probably visit other places around SF, like the Marin headlands.

• It Aint Bad

by SFPROOF Written Feb 1, 2012

So ma school got some new computers and i searched my neighborhood Sunnydale and landed here don't be afraid of sf it aint bad. yea there some bad area, but if you a torrisr you won't run in bad areas. and if ya do don't be noticibal just act like it yo neighborhood. but stay out the sunydale people be crrepin. peace

• San Francisco avoidance

by XUnlimited Written Jan 24, 2012

I just had a discussion with my wife where she suggested that someone we know comes from money because she was born and raised in SF. I stated maybe not and that every city has a ghetto. She doubted it (even tho neither of us has been there :)

So I searched the issue and came upon these reviews. The last one gave me a giggle where he suggested that if you must complain dont visit.

Being from NYC, Brooklyn to be precise, I have my love hate relationship with tourists. Now
    I know that there may be bad areas of San Fran, and now I KNOW that it contains its share of rude assholes. LOL.

Gotta love it.

• You all are joking? Right?

by oppzorro Written Jan 20, 2012

I have lived at the Corner of Hyde and Ellis in the Tenderloin for several years. I love it! It isn't that dangerous. Just so you know, The neighborhood I work in, which happens to be Fisherman's Wharf is much more dangerous than the Tenderloin ever was or will be. Here is my advice, if you're going to complain, then stay home and don't come to SF. The TL has some of the best food in the city and if no matter where you go in SF you are going to find what you people deem "danger." Please. If you think its that bad, then please don't come here.

• Areas to avoid in San Francisco

by dara10 Written Dec 18, 2011

Avoid the bay view hunters point area, avoid the tenderloin, western addition, avoid sixth st in San Francisco. Best areas for tourist are the fisherman's wharf, lombard, marina district,pacific heights, presidio, sea cliff, and ocean beach.

• San Francisco

by iloveparis4026 Written Oct 15, 2011

so what area would be best to stay in? Is it better to stay by Fisherman's wharf or union square. We plan to go to Golden Gate Park and Bridge, and china town, as well.

Do you have suggestions what would be close to the trolley, BART and cabs of course, but what area would be safest, I am travelling with my young daughter.

• response to Puzzled!

by Isseyta Written Sep 25, 2011

Hi Mark,
    Me and my husband just came back from San Francisco as it was one of our honeymoon destinations. We were there only last week and we absolutely LOVED it. I thought it was charming and just breathtaking. Pier 39 is just the cutest thing ever, don't miss it.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of homeless people, it is a fact, but we had no problems whatsoever, at the end of the day, do the same that you would do when at home, just make sure that you are aware of your surroundings and that's it, and if you feel funny about something take a cab.
    In any case we were there for 5 days and were staying at Nob Hill and we walked absolutely everywhere.
    I loved San Francisco and I plan on returning, it is such a charming place.
    So enjoy your stay am sure you and your girlfriend will love it.

• markangloswede's Profile Photo

Puzzled

by markangloswede Written Sep 20, 2011

I have recently booked a trip to go to NYC then onto San fran for 10 days. Having just read all these stories i am a little sceptical.
    I do realise that every major city has its problems ( coming from London i know to well :) ).
    Reading about all the no go areas and having to avoid a lot of places and if in doubt take a cab, walk fast, dont make eye contact. !!!!!!!!!.

This has myself and my girlfriend particularly worried even before we set foot on the lovely San Fran !!!.

Can anyone say anything positive about it ???

I say that last bit in Jest but you do know where i am coming from i hope ???

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• Some Perspective for You

by SallyMander Written Sep 11, 2011

I'm traveling through South America and having heard many first-hand accounts of theft and robbery, came on here initially to check out warnings for Quito. I didn't want to freak myself out so I moseyed on over to the San Francisco warning page to see what people had to say about a city I knew just to help gain some perspective.

First let's agree that any city, particularly big cities and particularly in areas with income disparities, there is a higher level of danger that requires caution paired with common sense.

Here's what I will tell you about the Tenderloin. If you want to see San Francisco, you can't avoid it altogether. It's right in the heart of this city and takes you into some beautiful neighborhoods, plus the TL has some amazing gastronomical offerings. Many hotels are based in or around here because it is so central to the things you want to see.

Don't let fear ruin your experience, but also don't be careless.

When leaving your hotel, know where you're going and don't look like a lost tourist. Get a map, study it, know which streets to avoid at night and don't go on those streets. If you must go down some sketchy streets, walk with big-city attitude and confidence. Understand that neighborhoods in SF can go from posh to hellish in about one block flat. Again, try and know where you're going. If you don't, take a cab.

Don't take more money than you need. Don't be flashy with jewelry or other personal belongings.

Ignore the crazies. No good comes of dealing with irrational people.

Watch your bags on buses. Don't get distracted or zone out.

Enjoy SF!

Instant Answers: San Francisco

• Jul 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I loved the New Yorker comment, I went to NYC 2 years ago, and indeed it was just like Disneyland. Me and my parents walked in Manhattan From Madison Square Garden to the Met and back during the night and believe me I have never been so comfortable walking around. I'm just about to visit SF and the only people giving bad oppinions about the city are Americans. I've read a lot of blogs from Spain and nobody even mention it. I live in Mexico City and in 25 years I've never been robbed. Seriously people, all you need is to be a little more alert of what is going on aroud you.

• IgnaciaSL's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Hi! i wanna know about the socioeconomic aspects in S.F. Like wich neighborhoods are the poorest and richest of the city, and if there's some hill (not much known, something like apart of the urban area) with a great view of the city. Thanks!

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Welcome to VT! Ask your questions on the VT San Francisco travel forum here:

San Francisco Travel Forum

where far more VT-ers will see them and you are likely to get some helpful replies.

• Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

rich? north by Golden Gate Bridge. and west & around Golden Gate Park. North of Market.
      poor? south of Market. the whole SOUTH EAST quadrant of SF if you're not good at maps & neighborhoods. that's what I tell people most of the time

• Jan 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM