Know about this? Rate It!
Mount Hamilton, Lick Observatory
There is an amazing observatory on top of Mount Hamilton, which is accessed near the Alum Rock area of San Jose. There are multiple telescopes in the white domes, which can be seen from many of San Jose's freeways on clear days. If you go to the top in the daytime, you can see the smog line across the sky above the city. During the summer there is an event at which those who purchase tickets can look through the big telescope which is in the largest dome, and under which James Lick is buried.
- Museum Visits
- Road Trip
- Hiking and Walking
Up in the hills behind San Jose is the Mount Lick observatory. If this kind of thing interests you than its well worth as visit as you get inside the domes to see the telescopes.
It also has a centre for siesmic studies and this show just how frequent very small earthquakes are around the Bay area - at least one a day in the time period we saw.
- Adventure Travel
You can't really tell from this picture but the approach road is very steep and twisting. Lots of people actually think it's fun to cycle to this place judging by the number of cyclists we saw on the road.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
San Jose Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Venice Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path