Places to eat in San Jose

by Jim_Eliason

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Jose

My Khe Quan Hue Vietnamese Food -- Little Saigon

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 31, 2008

When we were heading to an event at San Jose Municipal Stadium, we decided to stop in nearby Little Saigon for dinner. I didn't know much about this neighborhood, so I didn't plan ahead... we just showed up and stopped in one of the first groups of restaurants we stumbled upon. We chose the Dynasty Plaza where there were three or four Vietnamese restaurants, and next door were several more. In the plaza we found the My Khe restaurant which focuses on food fromt he central Vietnam city of Hue.

The My Khe Quan Hue Restaurant quite obviously serves mostly Vietnamese customers and were surprised to see two European-Americans wander in. They happily pointed us to a table, and we glanced at their relatively small menu, then asked the waitress for suggestions. She quickly suggested an appetizer and a main course and we agreed with her choices. For the appetizer we had the #1... which the menu described as shrimp powder on rice paste (about $4). When it came, it was actually four small bowls of a thin layer of cooked rice paste with a sprinkle of shrimp powder and some green onions. With the four small bowls we were given a bowl of broth with a few floating peppers. We started eating the appetizer with our chopsticks (and we're pretty hand with these tools, so we did all right), until the waiter came by, handed us spoons, and walked away chuckling. We still didn't know exactly what to do with this unusual dish (dip in the broth or pour broth on the shrimp powder?), but we made do.

For our main course, the waitress suggest the #14 on the menu which ended up being pho with a variety of beef pieces including meatballs, brisket, and some unknown cuts (around $7). Two bowls of this spicy but amazingly tasty treat left us full. It was excellent, but some of the mystery cuts of meat kind of put our stomachs on edge! Laura had a very tasty iced coconut and sweet mung bean drink with her meal.

Overall, the pho was great, but I would stick with straight brisket next time. The appetizer was interesting but not something I'd eat again. Very authentic experience.

My Khe Inside the restaurant. The shrimp powder rice paste appetizer

Muchos! Taqueria -- downtown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 31, 2008

We stopped by Muchos! Taqueria one Saturday morning as we were doing some sightseeing around town and needed a bite to eat. Downtown San Jose doesn't have too many options, especially on a quiet weekend, and Muchos was one of just a handful of places were found to be open. They were friendly and happy to welcome us into their establishment. The restaurant is clean and brightly colored with authentic photos and tile work that create an inviting atmosphere. Futbol on the small plasma TV only helps with the authentic atmosphere.

At first glance of their relatively basic Mexican menu, I was extremely impressed by the prices. Quesadillas are $2.50 to $5, Burritos are $3.50 to $6, Tacos are under $3, and bigger meals like fajitas and dinner plates are all under $10. They also feature roasted chicken for as little as $3 for a quarter of a bird, and on weekends they feature menudo and pozole for $7.

Laura and I both decided on the 12 inch super quesadillas--one chicken and one steak--topped with cheese and salsa and with sour cream and tasty spicy guacamole on the side. We started with the fresh complimentary chips and salsa, and our meals arrived quickly. Both of our quesadillas were really tasty and very big for the price. I would definately return to try other items.

Muchos! Taqueria Muchos! Taqueria The city's big 3: Hispanic, Vietnamese, Japanese

• krissyM's Profile Photo

Azucar Latin Bistro: Worst Service Ever!

by krissyM Written Aug 21, 2008

I was really looking forward to eating at this place. It is known for it's mojito's and cuban cuisine. I have to say that this place had the WORST service of any restaurant I have ever been to. It took 20 minutes for a waiter to come and serve us and when we called him over he looked at another server and rolled his eyes. We ordered two appitizers and two drinks. The drink came after about 15 minutes but the food never came. After 45 minutes we asked our waiter where our food was and he couldn't remember what we ordered. Then he went behind the bar (not the kitchen) and grabbed our plates which had obviously been sitting at the bar for a while. The food was cold. Considering we order fried cheese and friend plantain it was not very good cold. After eating we asked for the bill which he carelessly dropped at our table without even stopping or making eye contact. He was nice enough to take the drinks off the bill but in retrospect we should have complained to the manager and not paid for anything. He didn't get a tip.

Now I understand, sometimes it's busy and the service can't be great but the place was almost empty and we were the only ones in this guys section. I will NEVER eat here again.

Favorite Dish: Everything was cold so I can't reccomend a thing :(

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

Aqui: A great choice Cal-Mex Grill

by venteeocho Written Apr 25, 2008

WILLOW GLEN. Aqui, located in the Willow Glenn area, offers affordable and healthy Mexican food. The guacamole here is real, and their thai chicken burrito, tostadas and salmon fajitas are simply marvelous. Make sure you have an appetite when you stop in, for all of Aqui's portions are generous. The restaurant's atmosphere is refreshingly charming, including a fireplace, and Aqui comes highly recommended by the locals. Patio dining is available.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the thai chicken burrito, very tasty.

• Singles

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

Left Bank: Fondue is lethal...!

by venteeocho Updated Apr 25, 2008

San Jose at Santana Row
    The 7,800 sq. ft. brasserie, opened in March 2003, evokes a lively Parisian mood.
    The interior dining room accommodates 220, inside private dining room accommodates up to 80, and terrace tables overlooking the plaza seat 80. There is also a new area outsie that can be used for private parties, which can be protected with heat lamps during inclement weather.

Highlights include spacious dining areas, an open kitchen with French rotisserie, the bustling activity of the bar and oyster bar. Accents include a mahogany sunlit bar, revolving door, and dining terrace, two private dining rooms, white tablecloths with butcher paper, and rich brasserie lighting

Favorite Dish: Braised lamb with garlic mashed potatoes, yuuumie.

• Wine Tasting

Kumako Ramen - Japantown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 31, 2008

We had a nice late lunch here after stopping at the airport on a Sunday. This was one of the few places in Japantown open at that hour on a Sunday, so we ducked in for a quick bowl of ramen and a beer. There weren't many customers here at this hour of the day, but there were four workers behind the counter, all but guaranteeing we got good service and fresh food. We had a good bowl of ramen and the house special platter with pork and an town of veggies in a weak broth (about $10 each). The big 20 ounce Sapporo was maybe $4, and we had a side of their shumai steamed shrimp dumplings for another $5. Overall the prices were a little steep for ramen, but it was pretty tasty and the service was very good.

The shop is pretty small inside, but definately clean and attractive. They have about 8 tables and probably 10 seats at the long black bar. The inside is decorated with their little bear (translation of Kumako) eating ramen logo, and the obligatory happy cat.

Tied House Microbrewery - San Pedro Square

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jan 15, 2008

My first visit to the Tied House was late one evening just before midnight in November 2006, and I wrote a terrible review about my experience under my San Jose nightlife section. I returned in December 2007 for another relatively lousy visit as the place was packed with a Sharks pre-game crowd and the bar was full, so we were stuck way in the back where we could only see one TV. They wouldn't change to a game we desperately wanted to see, so we ended up drinking a single beer and leaving.

San Jose has limited nightlife and restaurant options, so I actually ended up returning in January 2008. This time we arrived on a stormy Friday around the holidays, just after noon. Tied House was all but empty, with just a few other tables full, so service was much improved. The three of us had an amber, a wheat, and a fruit beer, all at an expensive $5.25 to $5.50 each. For lunch I had the Tied burger while my companions tried the Tied blue burger (blue cheese) and the garlic burger ($7.30 to $8.50 each plus $1.50 each for bacon). Though expensive for plain old burgers, they were tasty, if not cooked to order. The burgers come with very good fries. Overall, a pretty good meal, and the beers were also excellent.

The Tied House has a big 20+ person bar with extra standing room around the bar. They also have a massive dining room that runs almost 50 yards from the front to the back of the building across two big dining rooms. They also have an outdoor seating area called the "Penalty Box" that could be nice in the right weather.

Tied House also validates parking at the San Pedro garage across the street, saving us a few dollars.

Outside the Tied House Rainy day at San Pedro Square San Pedro Square

Aqui: Creative Mexican, Californian style

by trvlrtom Written Jan 1, 2008

Aqui is a far cry from the usual Mexican restaurant; They call it Cal-Mex food, and I don't know if it should even be labeled Mexican. The appeal here is that you will always find quality, reasonably priced food from a thoughtfully prepared and original menu. Aqui is very popular with locals, but service is fast.

It is an informal restaurant - you order food at the counter and get called to pick it up yourself. They also have a small and popular bar next to the restaurant, as well as an outdoor patio in back. If you can't find a parking spot on the street, there is a good sized parking lot behind the building - take the driveway entrance next to the Blockbuster store.

There are three locations, one in the Willow Glen area on Lincoln Ave. (closest to downtown), another on the east side and one in downtown Campbell.

Favorite Dish: The daily specials are a good bet, but my wife usually opts for the salmon tacos.

Aqui restaurant, San Jose

Habana Cuba: Good Cuban food

by trvlrtom Written Nov 17, 2007

This restaurant has become increasingly popular in the last few years. They have expanded the dining area and updated the decor. Habana Cuba serves good Cuban food, as one might imagine, in a comfortable atmosphere. If you like Cuban food, or are looking for something new, this is a good place to go.

7 Restaurant & Lounge: A good bistro

by trvlrtom Updated Oct 3, 2007

7 / Seven Restaurant & Lounge is a relatively new place in San Jose. It has a contemporary, bistro feel to it: industrial sleek design, textured fabrics etc. and textures. We have been here a few times and haven't been disappointed. Actually, one night I had a grilled swordfish special which was one of the best prepared meals I've had all year.

Favorite Dish: Very good menu and wine list.
    Good cocktails too!

7 restaurant in San Jose
    • Singles

Tee Nee Thai: New Thai in San Jose

by trvlrtom Updated Oct 3, 2007

Tee Nee Thai is a new restaurant located where Tutuzzo's used to be. Initial reviews have been very good, which isn't a surprise since Tee Nee Thai is run by the owners of the House of Siam in downtown San Jose, often regarded as the best Thai restaurant in San Jose. I like the latter because they often have live music; Tee Nee is, as you can guess, a smaller place.

The food we had at Tee Nee Thai was excellent: fresh, with good ingredients, and well prepared.

This would be a good choice for visitors to the HP Pavilion, where the San Jose Sharks play.

Favorite Dish: For whatever reason, they have a drink list that includes several Belgian beers, a bonus for beer drinkers. The wine selection is pretty good too.

• Business Travel

Fatima Restaurant: Specialty Chinese Restaurant

by trvlrtom Updated Sep 2, 2007

There must be over 100 Chinese restaurants in the San Jose/South Bay area, but I'm only going to point out one: Fatima. This one stands out because not only is the food better than average quality, but there are menu items that you probably won't find anywhere else. Fatima is a Muslim Chinese restaurant, and on menu includes a variety of items from regions apart from the usual Cantonese and Mandarin restaurants.

The restaurant itself is clean and unpretentious, if not a little plain. That probably won't matter,however, because the draw here is the food.

Favorite Dish: Whatever you order, be sure to ask for the sesame bread also, with green onions. And since it is a Muslim restaurant, there isn't any alcohol served.

• Business Travel

Aqui Cal-Mex: Mexican Cuisine with a California Infusion

by SJTravel Written Aug 21, 2007

Mexican with California Infusion takes great Mexican dishes and infuses them with the diversity of California cuisine. Quesadillas with goat cheese or BBQ chicken, salmon tacos, teriyaki burritos are the dishes you can expect at Aqui. They have a few regular Mexican dishes, but if you are looking for authentic Mexican, this is not the place to go. However, I definitely recommend trying this place. It is very delicious and you are sure to find something that you would like to try. This is a very mellow/chill place to go. You give your order up front and then pick it up when it is ready. They have an outdoor patio that is really nice, especially in the evenings. If it is sunny, you may want to eat inside if you can't get a place in the shade. Inside is not bad either, the only thing is that the music can be loud sometimes. I definitely recommend this place because it is good food for a really good price.

Favorite Dish: The Thai Chicken Burrito is really delicious. I always have the intention of trying something else, but I rarely do because I love the Thai Chicken Burrito so much. However, this past time I tried the Thai Chicken Taco, which wasn't the same. It was good, but it didn't have as much flavor as the burrito. My friend had the Flourless Chocolat Brownie which she really enjoyed. She craves them now, that is how much she likes them. It is made with real Mexican Chocolate. I had the Strawberry Shortcake this last time. It was tasty, not the best I have ever had, but I enjoyed it. I am unsure if I would get it again. But I definitely recommend the Thai Chicken Burrito.

Bill's Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day

by SJTravel Written Aug 18, 2007

They have an extensive breakfast menu that is served all day. They also have a good sized lunch menu. Their portions are big and hearty. The food is typical American breakfast and lunch. But what makes this place unique is the quality of food and the portions. The service was really great as well. Although it was a busy day when I was there, they were really attentive and friendly. They have a good sized dining room inside, but the prime location is outside on the front patio (espcially if the weather is nice). Like most places, on nice/crowded days, it will be hard to get a table outside. It is locally owned and they are planning on branching out and opening a new location soon. I definitely recommend this place if you are in the mood for breakfast (served all day).

Favorite Dish: I had the Lite Omlette which was Eggbeaters, Spinach, Asparagus and Mushrooms, served with fresh Fruit. It was tasty and they had a good mix of fresh fruit. I can't remember what everyone else in my party had, but everyone enjoyed their meals thoroughly.

Crema Coffee Company: Good Coffee and really helpful staff

by SJTravel Written Aug 18, 2007

A family owned coffee shop. The tea and coffee drinks are all pretty good priced. They have pastries as well to enjoy. They also sell very exotic and authentic teas for purchase to brew at home. Some you would have to get at an Asian Market in order to purchase, and even then it may be hard. I have heard some complaints about the plain coffee, but my friend said it was fine. There espresso drinks are good enough as well. They are not the best, but do the job. And it is nice to support local places. It has free Wi-Fi inside and has a really great atmosphere for studying, reading, watching TV (on their huge flat screen TV), or hanging out with friends and having a chat. It is very cozy and nice inside. Outside has a nice patio with huge orange umbrellas around some tables. Beware on windy days, because while I was there, the umbrella near the table I was sitting at blew up in the wind and flew across the patio and hit someone in the head. It was the randomest thing I had ever seen and it wasn't that windy. Also, the place is not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers. Great location.

Favorite Dish: I had a white tea and thought it was fine. Since it was windy outside, my tea didn't stay warm for very long in the cup I had. But it was fine. I hear their cookies are delicious and my friend has sampled their pastries and said they are pretty decent as well.

San Jose Hotels

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Hotel De Anza
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Jose Airport

Instant Answers: San Jose

Comments

San Jose Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Jose locals.
Map of San Jose