Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose

by venteeocho
  • trvlrtom's Profile Photo

A Silicon Valley must see

by trvlrtom Written Sep 29, 2007

San Jose's Tech museum is a popular stop in San Jose, and well deserves its positive reputation. I have been there several times and am always impressed by the innovative, interactive exhibits. This museum was planned to engage the visitor, not to be a passive display of artifacts.

Tickets are available on-line (of course), and I highly recommend you use this service, expecially for newer shows. They can be very popular.

It is also worth stopping in the nice gift shop, which has many unique items.

San Jose's Tech museum

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

by venteeocho Written Apr 25, 2008

Chock-full of unique hands-on exhibits, this cosmopolitan museum in the heart of downtown San Jose singularly focuses on how technology functions and is changing every aspect of the way we work, live, play and learn. The exhibits explore every possible application of technology: science, medicine, astronomy and much more. Definitely check out the spectacular IMAX theatre or attend some of the educational workshops, snack at the café, or drop in on the bookstore, which features several volumes related to Silicon Valley culture. With a park across the street, The Tech Museum of Innovation is a great place for kids and adults.

• School Holidays
    • Women's Travel

• EllenG's Profile Photo

by EllenG Written Aug 24, 2002

Uniquely Silicon Valley, the Tech aims to inspire the innovator in everyone, The Tech has nearly 250 high-technology exhibits, divided into four theme galleries, into a fun experience that includes large-format movies in the Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater. The IMAX is showing Fantasia 2000 from January to April 2000.

• San Jose has few sites of...

by jagr Written Aug 25, 2002

San Jose has few sites of interest. One site I went to which I can say it's 'only in San Jose' is the Tech Museum, an exhibit dedicated to the high-tech industry. You'll see interactive displays, as well as 'making of a computer chip.'

• Absolutely Awful

by Isaacschmidt Written Nov 8, 2014

Hey there, just thought I'd share the raving review I am posting absolutely everywhere about my night at the tech museum IMAX dome theater! Take a gander, I hope it will serve you well!

Like sitting in the front row of a movie theater? Wish every seat in the house had you looking straight up to see the movie? Then see any film playing at the Tech Museum IMAX Dome Theater. I visited the theater to see Interstellar. I have never had such an absolutely terrible theater experience. Who thought that playing a shrunken down IMAX projection on a dome in a crammed theater, with the center of the picture well above your eye line as you sit in straight-back, non-reclining seats was ever a good idea? This theater should be torn down and restructured by someone who isn't a complete idiot. The entire picture is warped by the sharp dome parameters. The picture is poor quality, grainy, and disrupted by the seams of the dome surface. The picture is also so inexcusably close to your face that you might as well have your eyes glued to the screen. Good luck trying to catch anything close to the full picture, as several portions of the film's borders will be cast quite behind and far into the left and right of your seat. Just get an end seat or a high row seat you say? Put that suggestion back in the box, your argument is invalid. I had a seat in the 9th or 10th row up, positioned at the left edge of the row. There was so much picture wrapped around the left side of my seat well beyond view, that I'd wager I only actually viewed just shy of 2/3 of the projection. There are, maybe, four tolerable seats in the house. Those are in the top row at the very center of the seating. Everywhere else is total crap. You will be craning your neck upwards the entire show. If you are in the bottom 4 rows, it would be impossible to see more than 50% of the projection, and you'd still go home with neck pain akin to whiplash. There is no give whatsoever in those cheap seats, and you'd best prepare to be tangling legs with either of the occupants next to you if you have to adjust your posture in the slightest. Just show up early and get the good seats, you say? Well, what if the theater staff had everyone get out of line, only to let you all play running-with-the-bulls to get back in line 5 minutes before showtime? Well, guess what? That's how the staff ran this total waste of money during this particular visit. You say I'm a fool for not doing my research and avoiding this movie experience all-together? Here, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqqZj21RN6o#t=146 and tell me what you see. Take note that the only time they show you film projection, it is of a small square portion of the dome. This is completely arbitrary in comparison to the actual viewing experience. You say this is meant to be an immersive experience as opposed to a plain old square picture? I give a few moments of credit to the dome theater for this aspect, as there was but one short scene in Interstellar that made me feel like I was riding in a space ship. The rest left me nauseated as I sat crushing my c-spine vertebrae looking straight up to see a fraction of what I could have seen on a respectable, sensible digital screen projection at any normal theater. Watching a movie in this theater is certainly one experience you will never forget. So if you doubt or mock my commentary, please, go spend your time and money at the tech museum IMAX theater. I'd love for you to be just as disappointed as I was.

With Thanksgiving coming up this month, I will be sure to remember how thankful I am that I will never be returning to your awful theater ever again.

• MDH's Profile Photo

by MDH Written May 2, 2003

This is San Jose's prime tech-themed museum which explores its recent technological past and its future. Some of the exhibits here are on the birth of the internet Internet, Space technogology, the computer pioneers, medical technology, and globalization. Also included in the museum is San Jose's only IMAX theatre.

This museum is informative for adults and fun for kids.

The Tech Museum on a gray, rainy day.

• PartyRambo's Profile Photo

See 'The Tech' - an...

by PartyRambo Updated Jul 27, 2003

See 'The Tech' - properly named 'The Tech Museum of Innovation' - an interactive computer-driven technology centre. As San Jose is part of Silicon Valley, it's natural to have a place devoted to computers.

Across from what I assume is the 'Town Square', a very nice little parkette, and down the street from what I assume was Town Hall, it's a fun way to spend an afternoon.

More for the kids & teens, adults will find it interesting as well.

But Bill Gates & Steve Jobs - might be bored...

Instant Answers: San Jose

Comments

Hotels Near Tech Museum of Innovation
4.0 out of 5 stars